[comp.misc] RSA public-key source?

frost@helix.nih.gov (James P. Goltz) (04/26/91)

Does anyone know of source code for an implementation of the RSA
public-key encryption algorithm?  I've seen a fair implementation for
DOS, but source code for it is unavailable.  I can dig up some of my
old class notes and write one myself if I have to, but I'd *really*
rather not.  |-)

Email please...I'll summarize if anything comes in.  Thanks in
advance.

--
Spoken: James P. Goltz
Smart: frost@helix.nih.gov

riordanmr@clvax1.cl.msu.edu (Mark Riordan) (04/27/91)

In article <1401@nih-csl.nih.gov>, frost@helix.nih.gov (James P. Goltz) says:
>Does anyone know of source code for an implementation of the RSA
>public-key encryption algorithm?

RSA is patented, so it's not clear whether it's legal to distribute
RSA source code without RSA's permission, even if you wrote the code.
I wrote an RSA implementation, but feel uncomfortable in distributing it.

RSA does have an agreement with Digital to distribute RSA
code as part of a sort of alpha-test of a product called SPX.

For details, FTP to crl.dec.com  (192.58.206.2).
Look for SPX-FORMS (form to fill out to request RSA source).

Mark R.  Michigan State Univ.  riordanmr@clvax1.cl.msu.edu

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (04/27/91)

[ Disclaimer -- I am *NOT* a lawyer, although I've watched an actor
  play one on TV :-).  Anyone who makes legal decisions based on
  net postings is a moron. ]

The RSA patent shouldn't prevent you from distributing the source
code to an RSA implementation.  If the code you have is copyrighted,
you will need the copyright holder's permission, of course.

The RSA patent, however, would prevent you from *running* the code,
or from running any implementation of RSA other than one licensed
from the holders of the patent.  However, I don't think that they
can use the patent to stop distribution of the code itself.

So if you want to look at it for your own edification (or to get
ready to market a competing implementation when their patent
expires (1997 or thereabouts, isn't it?)), then there should
be no problem.

					Tim Smith

ps: read the disclaimer at the top again.

frost@helix.nih.gov (James P. Goltz) (04/30/91)

Following up on my original query:

In article <1401@nih-csl.nih.gov> frost@helix.nih.gov (James P. Goltz) writes:

>Does anyone know of source code for an implementation of the RSA
>public-key encryption algorithm?

I find that RSA is a patented algorithm and therefore any
implementation w/source would involve all that pesky licensing.  |-)

This note from kurt@RSA.COM (Kurt Stammberger) about the company which
holds the patent:

>RSA Data Security, Inc. was founded in 1982 by the inventors of the
>algorithm -- Rivest, Shamir, and Aldeman.  All three, in varying degrees, are
>still involved in the company.  RSADSI develops and markets products based
>on the RSA Algorithm, as well as developing new crypto / hash algorithms and
>implementations.  We cover the bases, from an end-user signature kit
>to custom turnkey network-wide security implementations, to consulting
>in the cryptographic sciences field.  We like to emphasize that RSADSI isn't
>just RSA.  Plus, it's a fun place to work.  :)

I'd like to thank all who responded -- it's nice to have a 10,000+
member consulting team.

--

cpa@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Christopher P Avram) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr26.193911.13853@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> riordanmr@clvax1.cl.msu.edu (Mark Riordan) writes:
>In article <1401@nih-csl.nih.gov>, frost@helix.nih.gov (James P. Goltz) says:
>>Does anyone know of source code for an implementation of the RSA
>>public-key encryption algorithm?
>
>RSA is patented, so it's not clear whether it's legal to distribute
>RSA source code without RSA's permission, even if you wrote the code.
>I wrote an RSA implementation, but feel uncomfortable in distributing it.
>
>RSA does have an agreement with Digital to distribute RSA
>code as part of a sort of alpha-test of a product called SPX.
>
>For details, FTP to crl.dec.com  (192.58.206.2).
>Look for SPX-FORMS (form to fill out to request RSA source).
>
>Mark R.  Michigan State Univ.  riordanmr@clvax1.cl.msu.edu

It has been published many times. Since its patented, perhaps I shouldn't
say were ;-) (but if you were to accidently pick up a Byte of 1984 you may
find something related).

hrubin@pop.stat.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) (05/05/91)

In article <1412@nih-csl.nih.gov>, frost@helix.nih.gov (James P. Goltz) writes:
> Following up on my original query:
>
> In article <1401@nih-csl.nih.gov> frost@helix.nih.gov (James P. Goltz) writes:
> >
> >Does anyone know of source code for an implementation of the RSA
> >public-key encryption algorithm?
>
> I find that RSA is a patented algorithm and therefore any
> implementation w/source would involve all that pesky licensing.  |-)

Source CODE might possibly require licensing, but even this is
questionable.  The source ALGORITHM, or enough to produce it easily,
muct be public, however.  The word "patent" means open, and a patent
is not supposed to issue unless the publicly revealed patent is adequate
for someone "skilled in the art", and with the necessary resources, to
be able to produce whatever is patented.

Anyone who cannot produce an adequate source code, possibly slow, from
the algorithm description does not understand how to compute with large
integers.  This has been the situation since the first description of
the algorithm.
Phone: (317)494-6054
hrubin@l.cc.purdue.edu (Internet, bitnet)   {purdue,pur-ee}!l.cc!hrubin(UUCP)