[comp.misc] How to write letter of reference?

kly@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Gregory Kozlovsky) (05/06/91)

How to write a letter of reference? Any advice will be appreciated.
Are there any books on this subject?

I am interested in letters targeted to both academical and industrial
positions.

orville@weyrich.UUCP (Orville R. Weyrich) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May6.042954.2047@sci.ccny.cuny.edu> kly@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Gregory Kozlovsky) writes:
>How to write a letter of reference? Any advice will be appreciated.
>Are there any books on this subject?

Try "The Perfect Job Reference" by Jeffrey G. Allen, J.D., C.P.C. Published by
John Wiley: New York (1990). ISBN 0-471-52158-2.

It discusses how to get good letters of reference, including how to "coach"
the persons writing the letters. It includes chapters entitled:

	6. Elements of a Perfect Reference Letter

	7. Examples of Perfect Reference Letters

	13. The Legal Aspects of References

Orville R. Weyrich, Jr., Ph.D.                   Certified Systems Professional
Internet: orville%weyrich@uunet.uu.net             Weyrich Computer Consulting
Voice:    (602) 391-0821                         POB 5782, Scottsdale, AZ 85261
Fax:      (602) 391-0023                              (Yes! I'm available)