[comp.misc] MOST Shareware is junk

lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lon Stowell) (05/07/91)

In article <3111@krafla.rhi.hi.is> frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) writes:

>Well, I am the author of a fairly successful anti-virus program (which
>was just posted on c.b.i.p.) and it not crippled or has any registration
>reminders other than a few lines in the documentation.  In fact, the only
>difference between this program and the full version which is available in some
>countries is the lack of a printed manual and a lower level of support.
>
>Do I get registrations ?

   Hopefully you will get more.

   Why is it MOST shareware writers seem to ENJOY making things
   difficult to install and use?

   Put any dates in the code, mess with my AUTOEXEC.BAT or
   CONFIG.SYS files and I will swiftly remove your product from
   my machine.

   MOST SHAREWARE IS JUNK!   Too bad so many authors refuse to
   acknowledge this and try to understand WHY users feel this
   way...might improve the breed.

   There ARE, however some real gems in the shareware
   business...enough so that it is IMHO worth wading through the
   garbage that is spewed out.

   I register any shareware I use....as do most of my
   acquaintances.

>If I get a request for a new feature, I evaluate it regardless of whether
>the person requesting it is registered or not, and even if he is not, I
>will send him an update if I add the feature.

   A tip of the hat to you sir....although I haven't seen your
   products, you appear to have the right attitude.  Although I
   think a free copy is overdoing it, most programmers are so
   antagonistic to suggestions that they deserve the type of
   criticism they get.

kds@physics (Kevin Stokes) (05/07/91)

In article <154598@pyramid.pyramid.com> lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lon Stowell) writes:
...stuff deleted
>   Put any dates in the code, mess with my AUTOEXEC.BAT or
>   CONFIG.SYS files and I will swiftly remove your product from
>   my machine.

  I wouldn't want my autoexec.bat or config.sys messed with either,
but why would you object to a program keeping track of the date, by
re-writeing its own .EXE file?
  This is the scheme I use in my shareware product.  I think it works
well, because it doesn't nag the user, and lets them try the full featured
product for a reasonable period.
  I will also say from experience, that shareware with no protection brings
in almost nothing.  The trick is to put the protection in, but in a way
that doesn't annoy users.

--
	Kevin Stokes
	Duke University Dept. of Physics	kds@phy.duke.edu

lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lon Stowell) (05/08/91)

In article <22247@duke.cs.duke.edu> kds@physics.phy.duke.edu (Kevin Stokes) writes:
>  I wouldn't want my autoexec.bat or config.sys messed with either,
>but why would you object to a program keeping track of the date, by
>re-writeing its own .EXE file?
>  This is the scheme I use in my shareware product.  I think it works
>well, because it doesn't nag the user, and lets them try the full featured
>product for a reasonable period.
>  I will also say from experience, that shareware with no protection brings
>in almost nothing.  The trick is to put the protection in, but in a way
>that doesn't annoy users.

   You are a writer, I am a user.  We might just have
   drastically different opinions on what is or is not annoying.

   Your experience is counter to my practice or that of most
   acquaintances.  Perhaps we all tend to pay for GOOD shareware
   because we are "in the business" of computers....and possibly
   also because it is pretty rare.

   If you DO put in expiration, it sure would be nice to note it
   in REAL big letters when you first fire up the program.  The
   consequences of expiration should be polite and benign.
   Overwriting ANY file on a drive could result in some pretty
   ticklish legal issues....and most corporate buyers won't
   tolerate this kind of software.

   You might try what some commercial vendors do....unregistered
   software is strictly demo grade.  You would restrict the
   scale of capabilities or the ability to save useful work.
   (Why corporate buyers tolerate this rather than the "Too Bad,
   Code Expired" type software is a mystery to me as well...)

Some more pet peeves:  (I am not accusing you of these, but it
is really discouraging how many shareware authors cannot deal
with humans...and their programs show it.)

   o  If I need to input filenames to run a program, the least
      you can do is allow me to request a directory (and change
      drives, etc.) from WITHIN your program.  If I have to exit
      to do this, your source floppies get formatted.

   o  If I want to view info about you, this program, and your
      registration procedures, I'll expect to look in a file
      called "Foo.info" or AboutFoo.  Put it on my screen
      unsolicited and I get annoyed.  Make me sit thru this
      every time I run the program and floppies >> dev/null
      again.

      I will admit that creative, particularly animated, adverts
      while you load up files or initialize resources do get
      more than a few points.

   o  I bought a mouse and joystick because I don't LIKE
      carpal tunnel syndrome.  Don't attempt to cause it by
      pretending you don't know what these devices are!

   o  When I attempt to exit, unless I have work in progress
      that I have forgotten to save, I usually mean I want to
      exit.  I know that you really feel that the only proper
      persuit of man is to spend time using your program, but
      asking me to confirm a request to cease this frivolity is
      really quite annoying.

   o  RAther than mess with my environment files, how about
      noting the needed changes and let ME make them?  We might
      just have differing ideas about how we would like to run
      our computers.

Off soapbox.

        _   /|
	\'o.O'
	=(___)=

     THPTH! ACKHH!

Support Bill the Cat in the president's
War against MS/DOS!

In article <22247@duke.cs.duke.edu> kds@physics.phy.duke.edu (Kevin Stokes) writes:
>   I will also say from experience, that shareware with no protection brings
> in almost nothing.  The trick is to put the protection in, but in a way
> that doesn't annoy users.

you mean "shareware with no benefit for registration". Me, I send the source
code when people register Browser. Works fine, for a hobby. Wouldn't want
to make a iving at it, though.
--
Peter da Silva; Ferranti International Controls Corporation; +1 713 274 5180;
Sugar Land, TX  77487-5012;         `-_-' "Have you hugged your wolf, today?"

In article <154724@pyramid.pyramid.com> lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lon Stowell) writes:
>    o  If I need to input filenames to run a program, the least
>       you can do is allow me to request a directory (and change
>       drives, etc.) from WITHIN your program.  If I have to exit
>       to do this, your source floppies get formatted.

If you're writing for a machine that provides file requestor capabilities,
or for which free file requestors are plentiful, use them. If you're on the
Amiga I can send you a copy of mine: it's functionally equivalent to the
2.0 requestor, and a lot less annoying on floppy based systems than ARP.

>    o  If I want to view info about you, this program, and your
>       registration procedures, I'll expect to look in a file
>       called "Foo.info" or AboutFoo.

Or pull down "about". If you have animations while you're loading, put
them in a file (IFF on the Amiga) so I can delete them... and don't barf
if your pretty pictures are missing.

>    o  I bought a mouse and joystick because I don't LIKE
>       carpal tunnel syndrome.  Don't attempt to cause it by
>       pretending you don't know what these devices are!

Are you sure that this will help? I've been lately suffering from some
sort of repetitive strain injury (not CTS), and mousing around is a great
way to trigger it. I've been finding out just how bad I am at mousing with
my left hand, and I'm glad AmigaOS 2.0 supports mouse acceleration.

Back to the subject, joysticks are particularly bad for RSE. You might just
be trading "Hacker's Hand" for "Pac-man Elbow".
--

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (05/09/91)

In article <154598@pyramid.pyramid.com> lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com writes:
> In article <3111@krafla.rhi.hi.is> frisk@rhi.hi.is writes:
> > Well, I am the author of a fairly successful anti-virus program [...]

> MOST SHAREWARE IS JUNK!   Too bad so many authors refuse to
> acknowledge this and try to understand WHY users feel this
> way...might improve the breed.

You must be using the wrong kind of computer.  There is an incredible
amount of truely great shareware programs available for the Mac.  There
are also a lot of equally great freeware, beerware, and hapiware programs.
I bet there is no "Net Bunny" for the peece.

> Put any dates in the code, mess with my AUTOEXEC.BAT or
> CONFIG.SYS files and I will swiftly remove your product from
> my machine.

Yes, that confirms it.  No real computer needs ".BAT" or ".SYS" files.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969             john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications, Ltd.                        ...uunet!tcnet!newave!john

buckland@ucs.ubc.ca (Tony Buckland) (05/09/91)

 A lot of postings on this subject have recounted the
 outrageous demands users make on the authors of these
 practically-free programs.  But I think the chutzpah
 prize has to go to the frequent posters on other
 comp. groups who ask for public-domain database
 management systems and language compilers, all
 state-of-the-art of course.