[comp.misc] Shareware advice, please?

alex@bilver.uucp (Alex Matulich) (05/10/91)

In article <22231@duke.cs.duke.edu> kds@physics.phy.duke.edu (Kevin Stokes) writes:
>  I am shareware author, and I have a tried a system which is neither
>crippleware, or hassle-ware.   My program requires the user to answer
>some configuration setup questions, and then installs itself while storing
>the date by modifying the .EXE.  The user is informed that he/she can use
>the program for a week to decide whether or not the program is good.

This sort of thing might work for an application program, but what about a
package of programming utilities?  To wit:

I have just completed the development of a nice package of very
easy-to-use C programming functions, which include a recursive menu
handler, a file selection dialog box, a text file/text array interactive
display function, clean error handling, and miscellaneous other things.
This is for MS-DOS text application development, by the way.

I started this back in 1987, on my Amiga, as a means to use the Amiga as
an MS-DOS development platform.  The project has grown into a really
professional-looking MSDOS C function library, using direct-video writes
for everything and so forth.  The challenge was to make it compatible with
as many compilers as possible, and I have succeeded so far (Turbo C++,
Lattice C for MSDOS, and SAS Amiga C all work flawlessly with it - haven't
tried MSC yet).  The Amiga lib isn't as crisp because it has to emulate a
lot of IBM screen operations.

Now, I have been stumped on how to distribute this.  I'd LIKE to
distribute it as shareware, with maybe a $15 charge.  But how?  If I
provided all the source code, with utilities to make libraries for any
memory model using all the compilers I support, the user has everything he
needs and may not be moved to contribute.  On the other hand, I could just
provide the libraries for all compilers and all memory models, and omit
_parts_ of the source code like the menu handler and file dialog box, and
tell the user (in a demonstration executable) that the source and printed
docs are available for $15, or maybe $7 if I am sent a stamped disk mailer
with the money.

Any suggestions?  Companies like Greenleaf sell collections of C libraries
like this for a lot more money, but I don't know if they charge extra for
source.

If charging a fee for something like this is wrong, then I would at least
like to know if anybody is using my stuff once it's released.  How do I do
that?  (This will be my (and my company's) first shareware release.)

>  I just remembered another good one:  "I am in the habit of registering
>shareware products which I find useful.  Your program is NOT useful."
>Why did that guy bother to write me?

I wonder how many of those I will get?

--
 _ |__  Alex Matulich
 /(+__>  Unicorn Research Corp, 4621 N Landmark Dr, Orlando, FL 32817