[comp.misc] laserjet toner cartridges

frison@cs.arizona.edu (Glen Alexander Frison) (05/13/91)

Does anyone know anything about "recharging" the toner cartridges for the
HP LJII series printers?  I know you're supposed to dispose of the things
when they are out of toner, but there are a lot of places out there
"recharging" them for around $30-$60, which can be cheaper than buying new
ones, and they'll work just as good as new ones.  So I'm wondering if I can
figure out how to "recharge" them myself, i.e., put toner in them, since I
don't really think the "recharge" is worth $30.  (I'm sure their actual
cost is about $5, so they're making at least $25 pure profit.)

Is there another newsgroup that would be more appropriate for this question?
If so, please tell me the name of it...

Thanks,

-g frison

simona@panix.uucp (Simona Nass) (05/16/91)

In article <1505@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> frison@cs.arizona.edu (Glen Alexander Frison) writes:
>Does anyone know anything about "recharging" the toner cartridges for the
>HP LJII series printers?  I know you're supposed to dispose of the things
>when they are out of toner, but there are a lot of places out there
>"recharging" them for around $30-$60, which can be cheaper than buying new
>ones, and they'll work just as good as new ones.  So I'm wondering if I can
>figure out how to "recharge" them myself, i.e., put toner in them, since I
>don't really think the "recharge" is worth $30.  (I'm sure their actual
>cost is about $5, so they're making at least $25 pure profit.)
>
>Is there another newsgroup that would be more appropriate for this question?
>If so, please tell me the name of it...
>
>Thanks,
>
>-g frison

I did some research on this issue for a corporation where I worked months
ago. Companies that do this differ in their practices, but I think the one
I spoke to (affiliated with Nashua, but I don't remember the name - they
never sent me the annual report I requested and I lost my little slip of paper)
lubricates and replaces some parts and I believe they also make provisions
for disposal (there's mercury in them thar parts!?!).

I realize these reasons don't preclude your doing it yourself, but you may
wish to check on what damage it can do to your printer and also into disposal
options.

I think there's a newsgoup dedicated either to laser printers or HP, but I
forget which.  -S.

wasApparently, these places don't just replace the toner - they actually looking into organizing
--
( rutgers!cmcl2!panix!simona,  uunet!jyacc!david, simona@panix.uucp )