[comp.misc] Cliff Stoll's CUCKOO's EGG: suggestions for movie version

rchao@well.sf.ca.us (Robert Chao) (05/09/91)

In the recent discussions on the NOVA dramatization of Cliff Stoll's book,
"Cuckoo's Egg," people marvelled at the way Cliff played
himself. A few subversives said Cliff should not have played
himself.
I believe "Cuckoo's Egg" would do well as a full-length feature film. I
now make a few suggestions for people who could play Cliff, in order of
preference:

    1. Martin Short
    2. John Malkovich
    3. Maurice Gibb
    4. Rod Stewart
    5. Robert Plant
    6. Brad Dourif
    7. Gary Burghoff
    8. Gerard Depardieu
I know 7 seems a bit far-fetched, but who cares about a dissimilarity in
physical appearances? It's that unpretentious spirit that counts, and
besides, Burghoff has experience with IBM PCs.
--
Robert Chao
Oakland, California

rchrd@well.sf.ca.us (Richard Friedman) (05/10/91)

rchao@well.sf.ca.us (Robert Chao) writes:
>I believe "Cuckoo's Egg" would do well as a full-length feature film. I
>now make a few suggestions for people who could play Cliff, in order of
>preference:

Here are my suggestions:
       o   Arnold Schwarzenegger
       o   Woody Allen
       o   Sting

They're just suggestions.
--
/\=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=/\
\/Richard Friedman (415)540-5216  |     rchrd@well.sf.ca.us  \/

wwm@pmsmam.uucp (Bill Meahan) (05/10/91)

In article <24686@well.sf.ca.us> rchrd@well.sf.ca.us (Richard Friedman) writes:
>rchao@well.sf.ca.us (Robert Chao) writes:
>>I believe "Cuckoo's Egg" would do well as a full-length feature film. I
>>now make a few suggestions for people who could play Cliff, in order of
>>preference:
>
>Here are my suggestions:
>       o   Arnold Schwarzenegger
>       o   Woody Allen
>       o   Sting

My thought:  Howie Mandel (St. Elsewhere, etc.)  decent actor, almost as
                          wierd as Cliff (that's a COMPLIMENT!) and an
                          strong physical resemblence.

--
Bill Meahan			|Product Design & Testing Section
Production Test Engineer	|Starter Motor Engineering

harrison@csl.dl.nec.com (Mark Harrison) (05/10/91)

 (Richard Friedman) writes:
>>rchao@well.sf.ca.us (Robert Chao) writes:
>>>I now make a few suggestions for people who could play Cliff, in order of
>>
>>Here are my suggestions:
>>       o   Arnold Schwarzenegger
>>

>My thought:  Howie Mandel (St. Elsewhere, etc.)  decent actor, almost as

No, I think we were on the right track with Arnold.  After all, these
guys were working for the commies.  You could have some exciting
scenes where the KGB finds out what is going on, and sends a hit squad
to take care of the problem.  Of course, the FBI doesn't believe
that Uzzi-toting mercenaries are out to get some mild-mannered
astronomer, so Arnold, er, Cliff, has to take  out all of the bad
guys himself.  Plenty of opportunities for chase scenes and special
effects, maybe luring the last guy into a particle accelerator
and disintegrating him in slow motion!

(Many :-), but I have never liked a movie made from a book that
 I liked.)

Back to your regularly scheduled program...
--
Mark Harrison           | Note: harrison@ssd.dl.nec.com and
harrison@csl.dl.nec.com | necssd!harrison are not operating at

In article <24667@well.sf.ca.us> rchao@well.sf.ca.us (Robert Chao) writes:
> I believe "Cuckoo's Egg" would do well as a full-length feature film. I
> now make a few suggestions for people who could play Cliff, in order of
> preference:

My list:

1. The guy who plays the judge on Night Court.
2. Darryl Hannah. (you'll understand this one if you read alt.cyberpunk)

Seriously, the guy who plays the judge on Night Court is a computer programmer
and amateur magician as well as an actor, and acts *just* like Cliff has the
occasions I've observed his behaviour.
--
Peter da Silva; Ferranti International Controls Corporation; +1 713 274 5180;
Sugar Land, TX  77487-5012;         `-_-' "Have you hugged your wolf, today?"

jogle@cbnewsi.att.com (jogle) (05/10/91)

wwm@pmsmam.UUCP (Bill Meahan) writes:
> [...concerning potential casting of Cliff Stoll in a movie
>     version of "The Cuckoos Egg"
>
>My thought:  Howie Mandel (St. Elsewhere, etc.)  decent actor, almost as
>                          wierd as Cliff (that's a COMPLIMENT!) and an
>                          strong physical resemblence.

   I think you hit the nail on the head with this one.  Cliff Stoll
   was at BellLabs several months ago giving a talk on Computer
   Security and I swear, the only thing that I could think of is
   how similar the talk was to a Howie Mandel show.  It was exactly
   how Mandel would have acted if HE had to give a lecture on computer
   security.

   Pretty entertaining all around!

--
                                            -- jogle
                                               att!floyd!jogle

jlg@cochiti.lanl.gov (Jim Giles) (05/11/91)

In article <24686@well.sf.ca.us>, rchrd@well.sf.ca.us (Richard Friedman) writes:
|> rchao@well.sf.ca.us (Robert Chao) writes:
|> >I believe "Cuckoo's Egg" would do well as a full-length feature film. I
|> >now make a few suggestions for people who could play Cliff, in order of
|> >preference:
|>
|> Here are my suggestions:
|>        o   Arnold Schwarzenegger
|>           [...]

We all know that Hollywood can't make a movie without substantially
changing the story.  But, the kind of story this casting suggests is
a BIG change.  Not to say it wouldn't be an interesting story - a
movie that requires Schwarzenegger to speak in larger than one-syllable
words would be high-comedy.

J. Giles

burley@mole.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Craig Burley) (05/11/91)

In article <+87BL=B@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

   Seriously, the guy who plays the judge on Night Court is a computer programmer
   and amateur magician as well as an actor, and acts *just* like Cliff has the
   occasions I've observed his behaviour.

Harry Anderson also is a big fan of the Apple Macintosh.  He does programming
in Hypercard, I think.
--

James Craig Burley, Software Craftsperson    burley@gnu.ai.mit.edu

eiverson@nmsu.edu (Eric Iverson) (05/11/91)

In article <24686@well.sf.ca.us> rchrd@well.sf.ca.us (Richard Friedman) writes:

> rchao@well.sf.ca.us (Robert Chao) writes:
> >I believe "Cuckoo's Egg" would do well as a full-length feature film. I
> >now make a few suggestions for people who could play Cliff, in order of
> >preference:
>
> Here are my suggestions:
>	o   Arnold Schwarzenegger
>	o   Woody Allen
>	o   Sting
>

> They're just suggestions.
> --

I think Cliff should be played by the California Raisins.  His
girlfriend could be a large box of granola, and his coworkers could be
a collection of spare bicycle parts.

Everything would be filmed *UPSIDE DOWN* and all dialog would be
overdubbed in Swahili.

McCauley Culkin would direct.

Eric Iverson				Internet: eiverson@nmsu.edu
Computing Research Lab
Box 30001/3CRL				Life is something to do when
New Mexico State University		you can't get to sleep.
Las Cruces, NM 88003-0001			-Fran Lebowitz
VOICE: (505) 646-5711
FAX:   (505) 646-6218

rdippold@cancun.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) (05/11/91)

In article <23532@lanl.gov> jlg@cochiti.lanl.gov (Jim Giles) writes:

>|> Here are my suggestions:
>|>        o   Arnold Schwarzenegger
>|>           [...]
>
>We all know that Hollywood can't make a movie without substantially
>changing the story.  But, the kind of story this casting suggests is
>a BIG change.  Not to say it wouldn't be an interesting story - a
>movie that requires Schwarzenegger to speak in larger than one-syllable
>words would be high-comedy.

Now, now, this may have been true of Arnie's early days, but he's actually
quite eloquent now.  He got quite a bit of speech training, etc., for
Twins, and he's no idiot.  He made a fortune in investments before he became
famous.

--
Standard disclaimer applies, you legalistic hacks.     |     Ron Dippold

brendan@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) (05/11/91)

In <+87BL=B@xds13.ferranti.com>, peter@ficc.ferranti.com writes:
>1. The guy who plays the judge on Night Court.

  This was the *FIRST* thing I thought of when this was first brought
  up! He'd be perfect. Doesn't have the hair, but definitely has the
  mentality & Mac-hacker background.

  'Course, I'd really love to see the whole Craig Neidorf affair made
  into a nice Wednesday-night drama on NBC. Secret Service guys, a
  conspiratorial ending, the works.

  (Holding his hands out like a movie frame.) I can see it now.

--
     Brendan Kehoe - Widener Sun Network Manager - brendan@cs.widener.edu
  Widener University in Chester, PA                A Bloody Sun-Dec War Zone

smith@NCoast.ORG (Phil Smith) (05/11/91)

As quoted from <24667@well.sf.ca.us> by rchao@well.sf.ca.us (Robert Chao):
+---------------

| In the recent discussions on the NOVA dramatization of Cliff Stoll's book,
| "Cuckoo's Egg," people marvelled at the way Cliff played
| himself. A few subversives said Cliff should not have played
| himself.
| I believe "Cuckoo's Egg" would do well as a full-length feature film.

If I remember correctly, Cliff said NOVA ended up being
the proper/best place for the presentation. The idea
for a full-length film had been discarded.

That's the way I remember what he said.
[I saw him at a book signing yesterday, where he was asked
lots of different questions & told us a lot of things]

If you doubt what I say or wish clarification,
write cliff@cfa.harvard.edu.
Don't expect an answer until late June.
He said he has 500 letters in his mbox and
by the time he finishes his lecture tour
it will be mid-June before he can start replying.

dtc@sunfs3.Camex.COM (Dan Callahan) (05/13/91)

In article <1991May10.111112.16412@pmsmam.uucp> wwm@pmsmam.UUCP (Bill Meahan) writes:
>My thought:  Howie Mandel (St. Elsewhere, etc.)  decent actor, almost as
>wierd as Cliff (that's a COMPLIMENT!) and an strong physical resemblence.

Now wait just a minute......I think that you could be over looking one
of the finest actors of our times to play the part of Cliff: Larry Fine,
not only does he have a strong physical resemblence but the I.Q.'s are
proably the same.  Then again Marty Feildman (sp?) would do a good job.
It's sad that both of these actors are dead......maybe now the movie
will never be done.

P.S. For those that don't know, Larry Fine was one of the Three Stooges!

dtc@camex.con	     		             """""""
uunet!camex!dtc                              | @ @ |  "Let go of my ears.
Daniel T. Callahan                           <  ^  >  I know what I'm doing!"
DuPont/Camex 75 Kneeland Street               \ 0 /
Boston, MA 02111  (617) 426-3577               ---

ralphs@seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) (05/13/91)

dtc@sunfs3.Camex.COM (Dan Callahan) writes:

> In article <1991May10.111112.16412@pmsmam.uucp> wwm@pmsmam.UUCP (Bill Meahan)
> >My thought:  Howie Mandel (St. Elsewhere, etc.)  decent actor, almost as
> >wierd as Cliff (that's a COMPLIMENT!) and an strong physical resemblence.

> proably the same.  Then again Marty Feildman (sp?) would do a good job.
> It's sad that both of these actors are dead......maybe now the movie
> will never be done.

What about Prof. Irwin Corey (sp?) ?

--
  The 23:00 News and Mail Service - +1 206 292 9048 - Seattle, WA USA
                            PEP, V.32, V.42

gtoal@tardis.computer-science.edinburgh.ac.uk (05/15/91)

How about william shatner -- after all, it has to be someone basically
likeable but at the same time believably thick.

giacobbe@pilot.njin.net (Jeff Giacobbe) (05/21/91)

You are all over looking the one person who could play Cliff like no
other........

	Emo Phillips   IS Cliff Stoll......
--
@xxxxx{==============-    giacobbe@pilot.njin.net    -==============}xxxxx@