[comp.misc] PIC

rivero@dev8a.mdcbbs.com (05/07/91)

A friend recently mentioned another operating system called PIC (sp) and
started comparing it with UN*X with regards to memory management, etc.

Anyone know about this system, and where I can get info on it?

Is it better than UN*X?

Mike

harrison@csl.dl.nec.com (Mark Harrison) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May7.135057.1@dev8a.mdcbbs.com> rivero@dev8a.mdcbbs.com writes:

>A friend recently mentioned another operating system called PIC (sp) and...

>Anyone know about this system, and where I can get info on it?

Try O'Reilly.  They have a whole series on it.  I think it's spelled
PICK (???).

>Is it better than UN*X?

I read something about it a while back.  It seems it is more data processing
oriented, so it might be better for that kind of application.
--
Mark Harrison           | Note: harrison@ssd.dl.nec.com and
harrison@csl.dl.nec.com | necssd!harrison are not operating at

gdtltr@brahms.udel.edu (root@research.bdi.com (Systems Research Supervisor)) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May8.150621.15614@csl.dl.nec.com> harrison@csl.dl.nec.com (Mark Harrison) writes:
=>In article <1991May7.135057.1@dev8a.mdcbbs.com> rivero@dev8a.mdcbbs.com writes:
=>
=>>A friend recently mentioned another operating system called PIC (sp) and...
=>
=>>Anyone know about this system, and where I can get info on it?
=>
=>Try O'Reilly.  They have a whole series on it.  I think it's spelled
=>PICK (???).
=>
=>>Is it better than UN*X?
=>
=>I read something about it a while back.  It seems it is more data processing
=>oriented, so it might be better for that kind of application.

   I got to operate a Microdata Reality system running PICK a few years back
for a couple weeks. It is certainly a database-oriented system. Its main
language is Data-BASIC, which like most BASICs has little in common with any
other BASIC. It incorporates a while mess of record-oriented features,
variable length arrays, and some other junk. The system didn't look too bad
given its specific aim and age. Unfortunately, the system running it had
some problems and tended to be down more than it was up. They were in the
process of moving their operation to a 386-based Unix box about 1/20th of
the size and a heck of a lot cheaper to maintain.
   As far as references go, if you can telnet to delcat.udel.edu, our
online card catalog, "s=pick computer operating system" should list about 8
books on the subject.

                                        Gary Duzan
                                        Time  Lord
                                    Third Regeneration

--
                            gdtltr@brahms.udel.edu
   _o_                      ----------------------                        _o_

jerry@ora.com (Jerry Peek) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May8.150621.15614@csl.dl.nec.com> harrison@csl.dl.nec.com (Mark Harrison) writes:
> In article <1991May7.135057.1@dev8a.mdcbbs.com> rivero@dev8a.mdcbbs.com writes:
> >A friend recently mentioned another operating system called PIC (sp) and...
> >Anyone know about this system, and where I can get info on it?
> Try O'Reilly. They have a whole series on it. I think it's spelled PICK (???).
> >Is it better than UN*X?
> I read something about it a while back.  It seems it is more data processing
> oriented, so it might be better for that kind of application.

Mark is right -- Pick is a multi-user database management system.
It has a lot of business-oriented applications.  There are several
different implementations of Pick.

Our documentation set is based on a mainstream implementation (R83) with
notes on the SMA standards and other implementations too.  Our toll-free
order number (US and Canada) is 800/338-6887.  If you want more info about
Pick, send me some mail: bookquestions@ora.com or uunet!ora!bookquestions.

--Jerry Peek, O'Reilly & Associates

gast@maui.cs.ucla.edu (David Gast) (05/22/91)

In article <1991May15.091845.24097@ora.com> jerry@ora.com (Jerry Peek) writes:
>In article <1991May8.150621.15614@csl.dl.nec.com> harrison@csl.dl.nec.com (Mark Harrison) writes:
>> In article <1991May7.135057.1@dev8a.mdcbbs.com> rivero@dev8a.mdcbbs.com writes:
>> >A friend recently mentioned another operating system called PIC (sp) and...
>> >Anyone know about this system, and where I can get info on it?
>> >Is it better than UN*X?
>> I read something about it a while back.  It seems it is more data processing
>> oriented, so it might be better for that kind of application.

An organization I know dropped $2.5M on pick hardware and software.  Over-
priced?  By a factor of at least 25, possibly 100.

And gues what?  It does not do everything so they are spending hundreds
of thousands more on PCs.

Classic.

David