[comp.misc] List of network domains

de5@ornl.gov (Dave Sill) (05/23/91)

I'm preparing a short presentation on the Internet, and want to
include a list of network domains.  Here's what I've come up with on
my own.  I'd appreciate any additions or corrections, or even a
pointer to a definitive list of domains.  Items with question marks
are guesses.

I'll post a copy of the final list to this newsgroup.

arpa    ARPAnet (obsolete)
at      Austria
au      Australia
be      Belgium
ca      Canada
ch      Switzerland (?)
com     Commercial
de      Germany
dk      Denmark
edu     Educational
fi      Finland
fr      France
gov     U.S. Government
ie      Ireland
il      Israel
it      Italy
jp      Japan
kr      Korea (?)
mil     U.S. Military
mx      Mexico
net     Network
nl      Netherlands
nz      New Zealand
no      Norway
org     Non-Profit Organization
pr      Puerto Rico (?)
se      Sweden
su      Soviet Union
uk      United Kingdom
us      United States

--
Dave Sill (de5@ornl.gov)	  It will be a great day when our schools have
Martin Marietta Energy Systems    all the money they need and the Air Force

smart@manta.mel.dit.CSIRO.AU (Robert Smart) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May23.131750.26701@cs.utk.edu> Dave Sill <de5@ornl.gov> writes:

>uk      United Kingdom

Of course this is the only 2 letter domain which isn't an official 2 letter
country abbreviation. What happens if the Soviet Union breaks up and the
Ukraine gets UK as their official 2 letter code...

Bob Smart

ralphs@seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) (05/24/91)

smart@manta.mel.dit.CSIRO.AU (Robert Smart) writes:

> Of course this is the only 2 letter domain which isn't an official 2 letter
> country abbreviation. What happens if the Soviet Union breaks up and the
> Ukraine gets UK as their official 2 letter code...

I think they're using ua, but I've been wrong a lot this week.

--
  The 23:00 News and Mail Service - +1 206 292 9048 - Seattle, WA USA
                           PEP, V.32, V.42

pulse@meaddata.com (Tom Hesley) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May23.131750.26701@cs.utk.edu> Dave Sill <de5@ornl.gov> writes:
>I'm preparing a short presentation on the Internet, and want to
>include a list of network domains.  Here's what I've come up with on
>my own.  I'd appreciate any additions or corrections, or even a
>pointer to a definitive list of domains.  Items with question marks
>are guesses.
>
>I'll post a copy of the final list to this newsgroup.

For anyone interested in this sort of thing, I just purchased the book:

	!%@:: A Directory of Electronic Mail, 2nd Edition.
		O'Reilly & Associates Inc.
		632 Petaluma Ave.
		Sebastopol, CA   95472
		707-829-0515
		Email: nuts@ora.com
		       ...!uunet!ora!nuts

This is a Nutshell book from O'Reilly & Associates Inc. and it gives
all current (as of early 1990) top-level, second and third level
domain names and describes how to access over 120 networks worldwide like
BITNET, UUNET, CSNET, ARPANET, etc.  Internet addressing standards are
explained with examples of how to write an address in BITNET when sending
your letter from UUNET.UU.NET, and much more!  Great book!

--
Tom Hesley                Opinions expressed within              (513) 865-7053
Mead Data Central            are my own and not             Systems Development