[comp.misc] jargon file

jharkins@sagpd1.UUCP (Jim Harkins) (06/29/90)

In article <3606@bingvaxu.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU> podop01@bingvaxu.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU ({Jana|Steve} W[ae]chsler) writes:

>OK, folks, so I missed the posting of the jargon file.  Sue me!

Sue me (soo mee)  1. A dare, often used in a sarcastic way.  "I was stunning
	around the suits.  So sue me!".  Warning: do not use in the presence
	of lawyers.

--
jim		jharkins@sagpd1

I hate to see you go, but I love to see you walk away.

FILLMORE@EMRCAN.BITNET (07/12/90)

Thanks to everyone who answered about the hacker jargon file.
I got a copy from 128.163.128.6 in file pub/misc/jargon.
Thanks again....    Bob Fillmore

gaspo@VSSERV.SCRI.FSU.EDU (Scott Gasparian) (07/28/90)

Could somebody please mail me the jargon file from "R" on? Every
time I ftp it from f.ms.uky.edu, I get timed out somewhere inbetween
"R" and "S".  Either that, or if someone knows of another anon-ftp
site, please let me know.

("R" on means the last end of the file starting from and incl. the
 entries under "R" AND the apendices (sp pl ?))

TIA --gaspo.
/----------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Scott "gaspo" Gasparian - Teenage Mutant Ninja Technician | |   ||   |  S  |
| Supercomputer Computations Research Institute             | | \\||// |  C  |
| gasparian@gw.scri.fsu.edu   | "So, where excactly DID my  | ===>><<===  R  |
| gaspo@vsserv.scri.fsu.edu   |  socks go to in the dryer?  | | //||\\ |  I  |
| (904) 644-4277 / 222-5630   |  Are they happier now?" -me | |   ||   |     |
\----------------------------------------------------------------------------/

gaspo@VSSERV.SCRI.FSU.EDU (Scott Gasparian) (08/14/90)

I will ask this once again since I received many "me too's" but no
suggestions/help.

Does anybody know of another anon/ftp site where the jargon
file is located?  f.ms.uky.edu is the only site I know of but
has a very slow 56kb connection.  The result is my transfer
get timed out right around the "R" section.

So, if any kind soul has the file and could mail it directly
to me, or point me to another site, my thanks would be many.

Actually, I only need "R" and the rest of it. I think
that was the 4th section that was posted longlongago.

/----------------------------------------------------------------------------\

harrison@necssd.NEC.COM (Mark Harrison) (08/16/90)

> I will ask this once again since I received many "me too's" but no
> suggestions/help.
>
> So, if any kind soul has the file and could mail it directly
> to me, or point me to another site, my thanks would be many.

I was one of the people who missed it... Could it be reposted?
And when it's reposted, post pointers to all the original newsgroups
where submissions were requested.

I kept looking for it on comp.lang.c :-(

Thanks in advance!
--
Mark Harrison             harrison@necssd.NEC.COM
(214)518-5050             {necntc, cs.utexas.edu}!necssd!harrison

lyson (Angela Lyson) (08/18/90)

I missed the "jargon file" (Hacker's Dictionary 2.1 by Eric Raymond)
that was posted here a while ago.  Is it archived somewhere, or could
some kind soul email it to me?  I would be eternally grateful if
I could get my hands on a copy.  Thanks to anyone who can help.

--
Angela Lyson
Mobile Data International	...!uunet!van-bc!mdivax1!lyson

moraes@cs.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) (06/01/91)

throop@aurs01.UUCP (Wayne Throop) writes:

>A file that just *might* be the "jargon file classic" also
>seems to be on uunet (though why in a "gnu" subdirectory is unclear):
>    /usr/spool/ftp/gnu:
>    -rw-rw-r--  1 root        43247 Apr 11  1990 jargon.text.Z

Yup, the size looks about right.  Another location is
ftp.cs.toronto.edu:doc/jargon.classic.Z.  Less comprehensive and
formal than the current opus, but more cultural flavour, in my opinion.

	Mark.

wollman@emily.uvm.edu (Garrett Wollman) (06/06/91)

In article <91Jun1.124431edt.595@smoke.cs.toronto.edu> moraes@cs.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) writes:
>Yup, the size looks about right.  Another location is
>ftp.cs.toronto.edu:doc/jargon.classic.Z.  Less comprehensive and
>formal than the current opus, but more cultural flavour, in my opinion.

Well, why not go right back to the original!  So long as the SAIL
computer is still alive (I haven't received my "farewell" message
yet), ftp to sail.stanford.edu and get AIWORD.RF[UP,DOC].  That's
where I got mine.

-GAWollman

PS: It's probably somewhere on mc.lcs.mit.edu:/its/{ai,mx}, too.

Garrett A. Wollman - wollman@emily.uvm.edu

Disclaimer:  I'm not even sure this represents *my* opinion, never
mind UVM's, EMBA's, EMBA-CF's, or indeed anyone else's.