[comp.misc] Anybody remember the DVORAK keyboard layout?

blip@uublip.uucp (Brant Pellett) (05/17/91)

Q: What is the QWERTY keyboard layout?

A: +---+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+--+--+
   |Del|!|@|#|$|%|^|&|*|(|)|_|+|Bk|Rs|
   |ESC|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|0|-|=|Sp|Br|
   +---+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+++-+
   |<TAB |Q|W|E|R|T|Y|U|I|O|P|{|}|||~|
   | TAB>|q|w|e|r|t|y|u|i|o|p|[|]|\|`|
   +-----+++++++++++++++++++++++++-+-+
   |      |A|S|D|F|G|H|J|K|L|:|"|  |E|
   | CTRL |a|s|d|f|g|h|j|k|l|;|'|CR|N|
   +------+++++++++++++++++++++++--+T+
   |       |Z|X|C|V|B|N|M|<|>|?|   |E|
   | SHIFT |z|x|c|v|b|n|m|,|.|/|SHF|R|
   +-------+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+---+-+

Q: I knew that.  But years ago I loaded an alternate key mapping into
   SUPERKEY (tm) in DOS.  In the first two weeks, I noticed my QWERTY
   typing speed had not changed significantly, (around 40) yet my DVORAK
   typing speed zoomed to 95 wpm.  Now I'd like to xmodmap my way to DVORAK.
   What is the DVORAK keyboard layout?

disclaimer: I speak on behalf of my organization, and I'm the ONLY one who does.
   BBBB   L      IIIII  PPPP            egsner!uublip!blip
   B   B  L        I    P   P           Brant Pellett
uu BBBB   L        I    PPPP            213-422-1808
   B   B  L        I    P               P.O. Box 7396

dsr@stl.stc.co.uk (D.S.Riches) (05/30/91)

In the referenced article shuford@cs.utk.edu (Richard Shuford) writes:
%
%  In <1991Apr2.224343.1@hulaw1.harvard.edu>, James Peregrino
%   <jperegrino@hbsstg.harvard.edu,PEREGRIN@HULAW1.BITNET> writes:
%>
%> Subject: Radically Designed Keyboards
%>
%> I have a friend who is...just now learning to type...and is
%> interested in using any of those funky, strange...keyboards...
%> shaped like a V or like a hemisphere.
%> I'm interested in hardware, not software (e.g. Dvorak) solutions.
%
%"To boldly type where no one has typed before..."
%
%Every few years somebody invents a key-input device that is completely
%different from prior art. One such device was the Maltron keyboard,
%from a British inventor, which appeared in the late 1970s.  This
%design had separate keypads for each hand mounted on a V-shaped
%sloping console.  I have also seen a device called the Write-Hander,
%which was a hemispherical substrate with pushbutton switches for the
%fingers of the right hand.  If I recall correctly, ts output was
%ASCII, as was its input.  You had to searn the ASCII codes for each
%character, and you pressed down fingers in specified combinations to
%encode the 0 and 1 bits of the ASCII representation.

There was a small machine that someone in my old company in Guernsey
used to use.  I think it was called Micro-Writer.  That also was
hemispherical and had 5 buttons laid out so that there was one button
under each finger (including thumb).  Pressing combinations gave the
required letters (and perhaps even phonemes).  Once learned it was
very easy to type quickly.

I have just seen an electronic filofax called Microwrite which has a
similar style input on it.  This retails at around #200.

   Dave Riches
   PSS:    David.S.Riches@stl.stc.co.uk (or dsr@stl.stc.co.uk)
   Smail:  BNR Europe Ltd (formerly STL), London Road,
	   Harlow, Essex. CM17 9NA.  England
   Phone:  +44 (0)279-429531 x2496
   Fax:	   +44 (0)279-454187

dat33228@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Derek A. Taubert) (05/31/91)

Ok, we all know that the IIgs is capable of supporting the DVORAK layout with
the flick of a control panel menu, but is there a keyboard (or preferably, a
kit to swap the key caps) available with this layout?  I wanted to make the
switch a few years ago, but never found any such item.

PS> just switching the keys around won't do it.  The IIgs keyboard is curved,
and the b key doesn't work on the top row (or whatever...).

--
+ Derek Taubert --> derek@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu + Author of : GScii+	      +
+		    dat33228@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu  + and the world's most useless +

scott@hsvaic.boeing.com (Scott Hinckley) (05/31/91)

If you have a Mac & a resource editor you can go in and edit the keys
resource in the system file to re-map the keyboard in ANY way you see
fit (any of the [255?] possible codes to any key/modifier combo).
You can then cut&paste this keymap to the other applications you want to
use it in. (alternatively you could just change it for certain apps,
such as your word processor and leave the system alone)

I strongly suggest you keep backup copies of these
applications/resources that you modify.

--
<<<<<<<<<<<Scott Hinckley<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>VW&Apple][Forever!!!>>>>>>>>>>
Internet:scott@hsvaic.boeing.com|UUCP:...!uunet!uw-beaver!bcsaic!hsvaic!scott

craig@med.unc.edu (Ron Craig) (06/08/91)

I have posted an article to comp.os.msdos.misc that contains the source
for 2 batch files to run under msdos and ANSI.SYS to convert as shown
below to DVORAK and back to SHOLES.  I posted them in c.o.m.m. because
they are specific to msdos machines.  I released those batch files into
the public domain.  They're nothing special, but they do keep you from
typing it in yourself.

They also allow you to use DVORAK *right now*, even if you don't have
SuperKey or some other such program to do the remapping for you.

Of course, there can't be a warranty or guarantees or any of that sort
of thing.  Be careful prying those keycaps off.  I happen to have a spare
101-key keyboard and a cable to extend my keyboard reach.  So now I have a
DVORAK keyboard and a sholes keyboard, commands to change the layouts,
and I just swap keyboards at the end of the extension cable.  I don't
even have to reach behind my machine!  Now if I can find time to
learn the layout ;->

In article <1991May29.172841.25136@cs.utk.edu> shuford@cs.utk.edu (Richard
Shuford) gave us the 101-key layout:

--
 Ron Craig                    inet-   craig@med.unc.edu
 CB# 8180 - UNC Chapel Hill   bitnet- URONCR@UNC.BITNET  AT&T- (919) 966-3681

varney@cbnewsd.att.com (Al Varney) (06/10/91)

In article <1991May29.172841.25136@cs.utk.edu> shuford@cs.utk.edu (Richard Shuford) writes:

  [ A nice introduction to Dvorak keyboards ... removed ]

Thanks for stimulating my memory.  (Amiga information at the bottom...)

In a previous life, my employer ( my employer's previous life, that is )
was Western Electric.  Famous for the "Hawthorne study" of assembly
workers, WE also conducted studies on possible "Cost Reductions" that
might be possible if all "typists" at AT&T used Dvorak's layout.
Time/motion studies, and results from other industries (insurance, etc.)
were analyzed to reach the conclusion that typists were indeed faster
and more accurate with Dvorak.  AND once learned, it was only a matter
of minutes to mentally switch from one layout to the other.  (As anyone
who used an IBM 029 keypunch can verify.)  As I remember it, only the
"initial costs" of converting thousands of Underwoods, etc. stopped
Dvorak from being the "AT&T standard".  Of course, the cost today would
be almost entirely in the training, since most heavy typing is into
a word processing or computer system.  Maybe it's not too late.... :-)

>Here is a side-by-side comparison of the traditional layout with a
>typical version of the Dvorak layout (as implemented on a 101-key
>PC/AT keyboard):
>
>      Dvorak                 Sholes
>      ------                 ------
>  `1234567890\=[         `1234567890-=\         unshifted top row
>  ~!@#$%^&*()|+{         ~!@#$%^&*()_+|           shifted top row
>
>    ',.pyfgcrl/]           qwertyuiop[]
>    "<>PYFGCRL?}           QWERTYUIOP{}
>
>    aoeuidhtns-            asdfghjkl;'
>    AOEUIDHTNS_            ASDFGHJKL:"
>
>     ;qjkxbmwvz             zxcvbnm,./          unshifted bottom row
>     :QJKXBMWVZ             ZXCVBNM<>?            shifted bottom row
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>I don't have convenient advice for users of Amiga, Atari, or NeXT.  As
>before, if anybody has some, send it to me or post it to "comp.misc".
>                    [ me =  (shuford@cs.utk.edu) ]
  OK, here's the advice for Amiga users.  Alternative "keymaps" are
built into the OS, and are supported (mostly) by the display fonts and
printer drivers (OK, so the fonts aren't different for Dvorak, ...
bear with me).  The supplied keymaps are:
  Dvorak - called "usa2" (an alternate to "usa1", the US standard)
  French     - "f"
  French Canadian - "cdn" (not sure how this differs from "f")
  Swiss French    - "ch1" (... or this !!)
  Swiss German    - "ch2"
  Also German, Italian, Icelandic, Swedish,Danish, Spanish, British
    [ British swaps @ with ", adds the "Pound" sign, moves #,' ]

So for Dvorak, you enter the command:
    setmap usa2
but you had better mean it, cause it changes input virtually everywhere!!
You can view the key layout visually with "keytoy2000", also supplied.
Alternative is to use Workbench Icons to activate your "language".

Note that "Dvorak" layout also moves the "Control" keys, but not the
Alternate-key layout (Used for Greek symbols, etc., and to add "marks"
above other letters ("carots", etc.???)  (uses "8-bit ASCII").
Some typing tutor programs support Dvorak -- "Mavis Beacon" even has
an interesting history of the typewriter and Dvorak in the manual.

Note:  The Amiga version of Dvorak interchanges "}" and "[" from your
specification, so un-shifted gets "{" and "[", shifted gets "}" and "]".??
Every other key is exactly as you specified.
What does ANSI or CCITT say is correct?

>  (I need more things to do as much as I need a hole in my
>head, but this is kind of a public service, and I might as well do it
>right. :-)

   I hear ya' -- and the pay is so great for "public service", eh?

 Al Varney, AT&T Network Systems, Lisle, IL