[comp.misc] Everex Password Setup

tony@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Tony Turner) (06/17/91)

--> To the gentleman who isn't impressed with the new Everex setup
routine. I don't blame you...

>Subject: Everex BIOS Password
>Date: 13 Jun 91 00:54:48 GMT
>
>Our university has been buying exclusively Everex PCs for about the
>last three years.  Our lastest shipment for student PC labs came with
>quite a surprise.  The new Setup routine lets you set a password on
>the hardware.  The only way to remove this password is to take the
>battery out of the machine and wait until the setup information is
>lost.  As you can imagine, putting these machines in an unsupervised
>student lab will soon lead to each and every one having a password
>on it.  Argh!

    What occured to me though, was that if you setup all the systems
yourself (admin instead of student) and gave them all the same password,
such as "HARDWARE" (for example) then there would be no reason for the
students (no matter HOW inquisitive students tend to be - at ANY age!) to
even know about the hardware password setup. Which could theoretically
prevent the horror story you were worried about. Just an idea...

=B=Y=E= -Tony.

Tony Turner              tony@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca
Edmonton Remote Systems:  Serving Northern Alberta since 1982

TEMNGT23@ysub.ysu.edu (Lou Anschuetz) (06/18/91)

In article <PZuN41w164w@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca>, tony@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Tony
Turner) says:

>--> To the gentleman who isn't impressed with the new Everex setup
>routine. I don't blame you...
>
>>Subject: Everex BIOS Password
>>Date: 13 Jun 91 00:54:48 GMT
>>
>>Our university has been buying exclusively Everex PCs for about the
>>last three years.  Our lastest shipment for student PC labs came with
>>quite a surprise.  The new Setup routine lets you set a password on
>>the hardware.  The only way to remove this password is to take the
>>battery out of the machine and wait until the setup information is
>>lost.  As you can imagine, putting these machines in an unsupervised
>>student lab will soon lead to each and every one having a password
>>on it.  Argh!
>
>    What occured to me though, was that if you setup all the systems
>yourself (admin instead of student) and gave them all the same password,
>such as "HARDWARE" (for example) then there would be no reason for the
>students (no matter HOW inquisitive students tend to be - at ANY age!) to
>even know about the hardware password setup. Which could theoretically
>prevent the horror story you were worried about. Just an idea...
How would that help?  You still have to type in the password to
BOOT (or REBOOT) the machine, so the student needs to know what it
is.  And once you know what it is, you are given the option to change
it!  So, I can't see how setting a password and then telling it to
everyone would help.....  And, these are UNSUPERVISED labs.

Lou Anschuetz
temngt23@ysu.edu