[comp.misc] For fun or money?

In article <1991Jun15.222200.26041@cbfsb.att.com> mbb@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (martin.brilliant) writes:

   Very often the authors of shareware are doing it for fun, and they
   like to hear comments and suggestions, and like to be helpful.

If they're not in it for the money, why are they asking for money?
Shareware is NO different from commercial, proprietary software -- it
just uses a different marketing scheme.

--
--russ <nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu> I'm proud to be a humble Quaker.
I am leaving the employ of Clarkson as of June 30.  Hopefully this email

wnp@iiasa.AT (Wolf PAUL) (06/17/91)

+
+    Very often the authors of shareware are doing it for fun, and they
+    like to hear comments and suggestions, and like to be helpful.
+
+ If they're not in it for the money, why are they asking for money?
+ Shareware is NO different from commercial, proprietary software -- it
+ just uses a different marketing scheme.

Because once they write something for whatever reason (fun, personal
need for such a tool, etc) they think, "Hey, maybe someone else can
use this! And if a handful of users register it, I ain't gonna say no to
a few extra bucks!"
--
W.N.Paul, Int. Institute f. Applied Systems Analysis, A-2361 Laxenburg--Austria
PHONE: +43-2236-71521-465            INTERNET: wnp@iiasa.iiasa.ac.at

In article <NELSON.91Jun16163515@sun.clarkson.edu> nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu (aka NELSON@CLUTX.BITNET) writes:
> If they're not in it for the money, why are they asking for money?

Have you ever been to a flea market, SF Convention, Garage Sale, ...?

It's called "subsidising your hobby".

> Shareware is NO different from commercial, proprietary software -- it
> just uses a different marketing scheme.

If you don't want to help people subsidise their computer addiction, fine.
Don't knock 'em for it, lest you be knocked.
--
Peter da Silva; Ferranti International Controls Corporation; +1 713 274 5180;
Sugar Land, TX  77487-5012;         `-_-' "Have you hugged your wolf, today?"