[sci.space.shuttle] Throttling the Challenger

rcpilz@ablnc.ATT.COM (Robert C. Pilz) (10/15/87)

One thing about the crash has been haunting me. When I saw
the replays of the explosion, I heard the commands to the
crew to be at 105% throttle. They acknowledged that. Then they
were told to go to 80% (or so). They acknowledged that. Then
they were told (very quickly) to go back to 105%. At this point,
the explosion happened.
This was never discussed in the national news. At least I never
picked up on it. What were they (the flight people) trying to
do? I have a strong feeling that they knew something was wrong
at that point and were trying to do something? Was the extra
boost supposed to put out the flame? Use up the fuel? Could
that have made things worse?
Nothing was said. I have not had a chance to read any of the
detailed reports. Is any of this covered/explained in them?
I'm not trying to find someone else to blame, I'm curious
to what extent people in those last few seconds had any ideas
of getting them out of danger. I'm not trying to open new
wounds. But areas like this need to be addressed beyond fixing
the boosters. There need to be better plans to abort the mission.

....ihnp4!ablnc!rcpilz

asgard@cpro.UUCP (J.R. Stoner) (10/16/87)

in article <340@ablnc.ATT.COM>, rcpilz@ablnc.ATT.COM (Robert C. Pilz) says:
> One thing about the crash has been haunting me. When I saw
> the replays of the explosion, I heard the commands to the
> crew to be at 105% throttle. They acknowledged that. Then they
> were told to go to 80% (or so). They acknowledged that. Then
> they were told (very quickly) to go back to 105%. At this point,
> the explosion happened.

> This was never discussed in the national news. At least I never
> picked up on it. What were they (the flight people) trying to
> do? I have a strong feeling that they knew something was wrong
> at that point and were trying to do something?

> ....ihnp4!ablnc!rcpilz

[Henry et al - correct me if I am very wrong]

It does not have anything to do with the particular flight.  You will note
from programmed flight profiles that a mid-launch throttle-down followed by
a throttle-up is normal procedure.  The reason is that a layer of the upper
atmosphere (stratosphere?) is a region of particularly violent aerodynamic
pressures on the structures (where the jet stream resides?  Enquiring minds
want to know :-)  So the engines are throttled down to minimize vibrations
on the orbiter so that velocity is still high enough to allow continuing
upward motion but not enough to allow orbital insertion.  After this violent
atmosphere is passed the engines are throttled up to orbital insertion level.

All this occurs before SRB sep or MECO.

...ihnp4!hplabs!ptsfa!cpro!asgard.
--
"To prevent having to tell fools to RTFM don't let on you WTFM to begin with."
J.R. Stoner	asgard@cpro.UUCP    asgard@wotan.UUCP

jhb@athena.TEK.COM (John Burgess) (10/16/87)

In article <340@ablnc.ATT.COM> rcpilz@ablnc.ATT.COM (Robert C. Pilz) writes:

>One thing about the crash has been haunting me. When I saw
>the replays of the explosion, I heard the commands to the
>crew to be at 105% throttle. They acknowledged that. Then they
>were told to go to 80% (or so). They acknowledged that. Then
>they were told (very quickly) to go back to 105%. At this point,
>the explosion happened.

Depending on what you mean by "very quickly", it sounds quite routine.

The way I've heard it is this:

    1) It is possible, using full throttle, to exceed the aerodynamics of
        the system early on in the flight.  They start at full throttle,
        then they reduce power when the speed gets "real high", finally,
        as the air thins out more, they can go back to full power.

    1a) So how do they reduce throttle of the solid boosters?  The boosters
        are built with concentric circular layers of propellant so, when
        they are launched, there is a hole down the middle of the propellant.
        This burns from the inside out at a known rate.  During manufacturing
        some of the layers have inhibitors built in so that, at the right
        time, the burn rate decreases and power goes down.

    2) The earlier shuttle engines were'nt as powerful as the newer ones
        used recently.  But in order to use a constant frame of reference,
        they still use the max power of the older engines as the starting
        point.  So, it is not uncommon to hear "105%" throttle.

And if you believe that ...  As stated, this is what I've heard, and it
does sound plausible enough to me that I'll beleive it and repeat it.

--------
John Burgess;  tektronix!athena!jhb
CAE Systems Division, Tektronix, Inc
Phone: 629-1150;   Del Sta 92-822

karn@faline.bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) (10/17/87)

During a normal launch the crew does little more than watch the displays
and twiddle their thumbs; all engine control (gimbaling, throttling,
etc) is completely under onboard computer control.  Control of a launch
vehicle is something that humans do very badly but computers do
extremely well, so there's no practical alternative. The crew has the
ability to take manual control, but that is little more than a
last-ditch backup. Even aborts are done under computer control, at least
as long as engines are firing.

The "callouts" you hear during a launch are simply confirmations of
events that happen automatically; no one is pushing any buttons. The
reduction of engine throttle during the first minute of flight is
programmed in to reduce the stresses on the launcher as it hits "Max-Q",
the region of maximum aerodynamic pressure. Once altitude has increased
sufficiently the throttle may again be increased because the less dense
atmosphere no longer generates enough drag to worry about.  The SRBs
are also "throttled back" during this time, but this is not under control
of the onboard computers; their thrust-vs-time curves are established by
the way propellant is loaded into them.

Phil

mike@ames.arpa (Mike Smithwick) (10/18/87)

In article <340@ablnc.ATT.COM> rcpilz@ablnc.ATT.COM (Robert C. Pilz) writes:

>One thing about the crash has been haunting me. When I saw
>the replays of the explosion, I heard the commands to the
>crew to be at 105% throttle. They acknowledged that. Then they
>were told to go to 80% (or so). They acknowledged that. Then
>they were told (very quickly) to go back to 105%. At this point,
>the explosion happened.
>This was never discussed in the national news. At least I never
>picked up on it. What were they (the flight people) trying to
>do? I have a strong feeling that they knew something was wrong
>at that point and were trying to do something? Was the extra
>boost supposed to put out the flame? Use up the fuel? Could
>that have made things worse?
>Nothing was said. I have not had a chance to read any of the
>detailed reports.

What you noticed is merely standard procedures for a shuttle launch.
First, when you hear the engines running at "105%", that means that
they are running at 105% of their originally intended performance, and
not that the're pushing them beyond their limits ("Captain Kirk, the
warp drive is gonna blow if we keep this up . . ."). They crank them
suckers up to 100% or more at the start of the launch,  then ease them
back to 75 or 80% as they are going thru "Max-Q" or the region of
maximum dynamic pressure, so as to ease loads. They will then
was only 5 seconds or so before the explosion.

Alot of the early speculation right after the accident by the newstypes,
centered around the "throttle up" call, and what effects it might've
had.

This brings to mind, though, what Mission control might have done had
they noticed the burn thru. Would they have notified the crew and
risked that chance of them doing something stupid, or would they just
keep quite and hope that they could ride it out.

--
				   *** mike (powered by M&Ms) smithwick ***
"ever felt like life was a game, and

osmigo@ut-ngp.UUCP (Ron Morgan) (10/18/87)

[105% throttle settings]

I'm not a Space Cadet, but a few questions keep throbbing:

1.  Is it *necessary* to launch at 105% power? If not, it seems that such
	settings create an unnecessary risk, sort of like routinely accelera-
	ting your car with the pedal on the floor. On the other hand, if it
	IS necessary, that suggests that the launch device was deliberately
	"underdesigned." What's the story here?

2.  How closely related is rate of burn-through (assuming it occurs, which it
	did) to power level? If power levels had been set within the limits
	*intended by the design* would it still have burnt through, perhaps
	later in the launch path?

(R)eply at your own risk...

--
Ron Morgan                      ARPA: osmigo%ngp@sally.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin   UUCP: {ihnp4,seismo,allegra,sally}!ngp!osmigo

allen@mmm.UUCP (Kurt Allen) (10/19/87)

In article <340@ablnc.ATT.COM> rcpilz@ablnc.ATT.COM (Robert C. Pilz) writes:

>I heard the commands to the
>crew to be at 105% throttle. They acknowledged that. Then they
>were told to go to 80% (or so). They acknowledged that. Then
>they were told (very quickly) to go back to 105%. At this point,
>the explosion happened.

The space shuttle engines were originally rated for less power, but
the max power rating was raised. I'm not sure if the increase in maximum
power was an engineering modification, or if the original restrictions were
relaxed, but the later flights of th shuttle typically used 100+ percent
power. I believe the maximum was 109 % of the originally rated maximum
power. Before the accident I had heard of plans to modify the engines
to handle even greater thrust.
So, to answer your question, the power up that occured was normal and
scheduled. It was not an emergency action in reaction to the SRB burnthrough.

--
	Kurt W. Allen
	3M Center

> 1.  Is it *necessary* to launch at 105% power? If not, it seems that such
> 	settings create an unnecessary risk...

Well, no, it's not *necessary*, it's just a matter of how much payload you
want to get into orbit.  Just off the top of my head, you could probably
run the shuttle engines at 90% and still reach orbit... with a payload
consisting of two toothbrushes and a comb.  The engines would probably be
more reliable and need less maintenance at 90%, too.  Of course, you couldn't
do much with the shuttle that way.

Engines, like lightbulbs, generally do not have a single specific setting
for which they are designed, in the sense that all other settings work
poorly or not at all.  It's a continuous tradeoff:  the harder you push
it, the more you get out of it, and the shorter its lifetime.  Where you
set the normal operating point is a judgement call, not a clear-cut and
obvious triviality.  The "100%" level of the shuttle engines is an arbitrary
number, not a point beyond which reliability deteriorates sharply.

NASA PR guano aside, there is no such thing as perfect safety:  it's just a
matter of how much risk you are willing to take for a given end result.
How "unnecessary" the risk is depends on how much you care about the result.

> 2.  How closely related is rate of burn-through (assuming it occurs, which it
> 	did) to power level? ...

Since the burn-through was in the SRBs, not the main engines, there is not
much correlation, especially given that the problem was a seal failure, not
a normal phenomenon to which a "rate" could be assigned.
--
"Mir" means "peace", as in           |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
"the war is over; we've won".        | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry

djr@scdpyr.UUCP (10/21/87)

	Since the throttle up call on the Challenger mission has become
a hot topic for discusion I thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth.

	Not too long ago I did some research on the shuttle program.
Two of my biggest sources were the Rogers commission report on the
Space Shuttle Challenger accident and Jane's all the Worlds Aircraft
1986-87.

	According to my sources the Space Shuttle Main Engines (SSME)
have a power range from 0-109%.  The performance for these engines
was based on the original design sepcifications.  The engines used on
STS-1 were different from the ones currently in use.  The engines on
Columbia could only go to 100%.  Improvments in the design for later
missions is the reason for the change in the performance ratings.

	Normal procedures are to ignite the SSME's 6 seconds prior to
launch.  At this point the SSMEs are at 100%.  As soon as the Shuttle
has cleared the tower the SSMEs are throttled up to 104%.  When the
Shuttle reaches MAX-Q the engines are reduced to 65%.  MAX-Q is the
period of maximum aerodynamic force on the Shuttle.  MAX-Q occurs
at Mach 1.(Gee, I wonder why? ;-)).  After MAX-Q, the engines are
throttled up to 104%.  The engines are not used at anything above 104%
even though they are capable of 109%.

	I can't recall the specific numbers right off of my head.
If someone hadn't swiped NCAR's copy of "Jane's" I would run and look
them up.  If anybody is curious about the specifics I suppose I could
find my notes.

	Hope this didn't add too much to the confusion.
--
	"Hey laser lips, your momma was a snow blower!"
					  -- Number 5

campbelr@hpisof0.HP.COM (Bob Campbell) (10/22/87)

SSME Specifications     (Full power level)

Thrust:
   At seas level                       417,300 lbs
   In vacuum                           512,300 lbs

Pressures:
   Hydrogen pump discharge               7,040 psia
   Oxygen pump discharge                 8,070 psia
   Combustion pressure                   3,260 psia

Flowrates:
   Total                 1,130 lb/s     22,557 gpm
   Hydrogen                160 lb/s     16,436 gpm
   Oxygen                  970 lb/s      6,121 gpm

Power:
   High Pressure Pumps
      Hydrogen                          77,310 hp
      Oxygen                            29,430 hp

Weight:                                  6,900 lbs

Length:                                     14 ft

Diameter:                                    8 ft

Bob Campbell                Some times I wish that I could stop you from
Hewlett Packard             talking, when I hear the silly things you say.
hplabs!hpda!campbelr                         - Elvis Costello

> ... The engines are not used at anything above 104%
> even though they are capable of 109%.

Actually, before Challenger there were plans to start using 109% for heavy
payloads.  Those plans are now officially cancelled, although they could
re-surface later if things go well and various minor engine improvements
do indeed make the things more durable.
--
PS/2: Yesterday's hardware today.    |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
OS/2: Yesterday's software tomorrow. | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry

stu@splut.UUCP (Stu Cobb) (10/24/87)

In article <340@ablnc.ATT.COM>, rcpilz@ablnc.ATT.COM (Robert C. Pilz) writes:

> One thing about the crash has been haunting me. When I saw
> the replays of the explosion, I heard the commands to the
> crew to be at 105% throttle. They acknowledged that. Then they
> were told to go to 80% (or so). They acknowledged that. Then
> they were told (very quickly) to go back to 105%. At this point,
> the explosion happened.

OK.  There is sort of a relationship here, but you've got it backwards.
There's no cover-up.

Aerodynamic pressure on a booster is a function of speed and atmospheric
density.  As you launch, speed increases and density decreases.  Obviously,
there is a point at which aerodynamic pressure ("q-bar") is a maximum.  This
point is called "Max Q."  For the Shuttle, this happens between 40 and 70
seconds after launch.

During Max Q, the aero stresses on the vehicle are at a maximum.  This is
one of the design points for the vehicle.  Lots of turbulence, vibration,
etc.

Because of the great aero stresses, the Shuttle flight planners do what they
can to remove additional stresses.  Among other things, they throttle the
engines back during that period.  This happens automatically; it's built
into the flight software.  In fact, the SRB's also "throttle back."  That's
done by proper design of the grain when the booster is poured.  All this is
thought out well in advance.

Now then.  The last call we heard to Challenger was "Go at Throttle-up."
This meant, among other things, that Houston had seen all three engines
throttle back up to 104% (I believe), after passing through the "thrust
bucket" at Max Q.

Nothing sinister about that.  So why did I say they're related?

It is thought by some that the O-ring, after partially opening at ignition,
sealed itself again.  During Max Q, Challenger passed through a particularly
vicious wind shear.  It is thought (again, by some) that some combination
of this wind shear and the already intense vibration of Max Q opened the O-ring
back up, causing the fatal leak.

It took some ten to twenty seconds for the leak to destroy the vehicle, long
enough for the shuttle to leave Max Q behind and bring the engines back up
to full power.  Thus, you heard the throttle-up call right before the
explosion.  They're both related to Max Q; they're not related to each
other.

> ... areas like this need to be addressed beyond fixing
> the boosters. There need to be better plans to abort the mission.

We're working on it.  Unfortunately, you simply can't abort until you drop
the solids.  This is obviously not good, but there's no way to fix it
without rebuilding the entire fleet.  This would cost several billion
dollars.  Congress has decided (perhaps implicitly) that the lives of a few
astronauts are not worth that kind of money.  They may well be right -- I
know the thing's not particularly safe (that much explosive never will be),
but I'd ride it anyway...

Stu

In article <8796@utzoo.UUCP>, henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
> Engines, like lightbulbs, generally do not have a single specific setting
> for which they are designed, in the sense that all other settings work
> poorly or not at all.

Sorry, but I don't believe this is true.  The Shuttle engine is rather rare
in that it can be throttled over almost a 2:1 range.  Most rocket engines
are, in fact, designed to run at a particular setting.  This is primarily
because most rocket engines were designed before flexible control systems
were available.  They use pneumatic/hydraulic/fluidic controls (the
pinnacle of late-50's technology) which are fussy about their set-points.

This fact is what got the early OSCARs into space.  They couldn't throttle
down their boosters to match the weight of the primary payload; instead,
they had to carry ballast.  Don Stoner had the bright idea to carry
interesting ballast, which led to the OSCARs.

Stu

grandi@noao.arizona.edu (Steve Grandi) (10/24/87)

In article <8822@utzoo.UUCP> henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
>Actually, before Challenger there were plans to start using 109% for heavy
>payloads.  Those plans are now officially cancelled, although they could
>re-surface later if things go well and various minor engine improvements
>do indeed make the things more durable.

This "downscoping" of the shuttle thrust is causing major problems for
heavy payloads such as the Hubble Space Telescope.  Rumor hath it that the
current worst case projection (depending on the amount of solar activity
during the upcoming solar maximum which affects orbital drag) gives a
lifetime in orbit for HST after a 100% thrust launch of around 5 months!
It has always been planned to "reboost" HST during subsequent shuttle
missions, but no one quite thought it would have to be so soon!
--
Steve Grandi, National Optical Astronomy Observatories, Tucson AZ, 602-325-9228
UUCP: {arizona,decvax,hao,ihnp4}!noao!grandi  or  uunet!noao.arizona.edu!grandi

weltyc@nysernic (Christopher A. Welty) (10/27/87)

In article <201@splut.UUCP> stu@splut.UUCP (Stu Cobb) writes:
>In article <8796@utzoo.UUCP>, henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
>> Engines, like lightbulbs, generally do not have a single specific setting
>> for which they are designed, in the sense that all other settings work
>> poorly or not at all.
>
>Sorry, but I don't believe this is true.  The Shuttle engine is rather rare
>in that it can be throttled over almost a 2:1 range.  Most rocket engines
>are, in fact, designed to run at a particular setting.  This is primarily
>because most rocket engines were designed before flexible control systems
>were available.  They use pneumatic/hydraulic/fluidic controls (the
>pinnacle of late-50's technology) which are fussy about their set-points.

	In fact, as I recall, the X-15 was the first vehicle with
"throttleable" rocket engines.  I saw a clip once of that famous
guy...ummm...Scott Crossfield (something like that, I can't believe I
don't remember...) testing the X-15 engines new throttle.  It blew up
- big explosion, too.  Scotty was OK, walked away in fact. Turned out
to be a faultly valve.   Anyway, it ended up working.  The camera view
of the test was right in back, so you could see the rocket engine
throttling up and down as he announced the current rate.  They were
able to take it from 0% up to 100%.  I believe the shuttle *main*
engines are based on the same idea.  Of course the SRBs are not
dynamically "throttleable", although I believe you can preset a
certain thrust pattern by playing with the solid fuel.

	Anyway, this was not Henry's point.  He is correct in that
certain thrust settings are very inefficient, and that most engines
are built for optimal performance at a specific thrust.  For the
Enterprise, I believe this was Warp 6 (although it is arguable that
*warp* drive generates any thrust).

Christopher Welty  ---  Asst. Director, RPI CS Labs
weltyc@cs.rpi.edu       ...!rutgers!nysernic!weltyc

mike@thumperbellcore.com (Michael Caplinger) (10/27/87)

I remember vividly from my Caltech days two specific missions that *had* to
use 109% thrust because of their mass -- Galileo and the Hubble Space
Telescope.  The former may have gotten lighter, but the HST is just
as heavy as it ever was.

It scared me even in 1981, and it scares me even more now.

	Mike Caplinger
	mike@bellcore.com

philb@maya.gwd.tek.com (Phil Biehl) (10/27/87)

In article <5270001@hpisof0.HP.COM> campbelr@hpisof0.HP.COM (Bob Campbell) writes:
>SSME Specifications     (Full power level)
.
.
>Flowrates:
>   Total                 1,130 lb/s     22,557 gpm
>   Hydrogen                160 lb/s     16,436 gpm
>   Oxygen                  970 lb/s      6,121 gpm

Does the above flowrates indicate tha actual combustion mixture present at the
combustion chamber? If so then why is there a greater ratio than 2 parts H to
one part O? I would think that the extra hydrogen would be unconsumed making
the engine less efficient than it could be... What am I missing?

Phil Biehl

usenet:		...!{decvax,hplabs,zehntel,reed,uw-beaver}!tektronix!orca!philb
arpanet:	philb%orca%tektronix@csnet-relay.arpa
csnet:		philb%orca@tektronix.csnet
work ph:	(503)685-2122
mail:		Tektronix Inc., IDG MS 61-028, POB 1000, Wilsonville OR 97070

> ... I don't believe this is true.  The Shuttle engine is rather rare
> in that it can be throttled over almost a 2:1 range.  Most rocket engines
> are, in fact, designed to run at a particular setting...

However, modest changes in the setting are generally feasible if thought
about and done ahead of time.  The engine control systems may well need
alterations to get the setting you are after, but the guts of the engine
are usually happy over a moderate range of thrust settings.

Case in point:  the Chinese run their Long March engines at about 80% of
their "rated" thrust, for greater reliability.
--

campbelr@hpisof0.UUCP (10/29/87)

>>Flowrates:
>>   Total                 1,130 lb/s     22,557 gpm
>>   Hydrogen                160 lb/s     16,436 gpm
>>   Oxygen                  970 lb/s      6,121 gpm
>
>Does the above flowrates indicate tha actual combustion mixture present at the
>combustion chamber? If so then why is there a greater ratio than 2 parts H to
>one part O? I would think that the extra hydrogen would be unconsumed making
>the engine less efficient than it could be... What am I missing?
>
>Phil Biehl

While the temperature of the products will be lower because of the energy
used to heat the excess hydrogen, the SSME is not the most efficient at
a 2 to 1 mixture ratio.  Not getting involved in discussions on units, the
performance of a rocket is measured by its specific impulse.

                             F       Vexit
                      I  =  ---  ~  -------
                       s     .         g
                                              .
Where F is thrust, Is is specific impulse, w is the mass flow rate, and
Vexit is the nozzle exit velocity of the gases.  Trusting me that exit velocity
is proportional to the square root of combustion temperature over the
molecualr weight of the exhaust gas, by lowering combustion temperature
you are also lowering the molecular weight (Water = 18, Hydrogen = 2, Both
mixed < 18) and at some point is the ideal mixture ratio.  If you really
want the equation for Vexit, let me know.  It is rather larger than the
one above :-)

jenks@uiucdcsp.UUCP (10/29/87)

> [...] why is there a greater ratio than 2 parts H to
> one part O? I would think that the extra hydrogen would be unconsumed making
> the engine less efficient than it could be... What am I missing?

Molecular weight?  Sure, you need two H atoms per O atom, but O weighs
in at ~16 and H is ~1.

> Phil Biehl

I know how it goes -- I got a C in Freshman Chemistry, too. ;}

-- Ken Jenks, MS: Aero/Astro Engineering, BS: Computer Science, UIUC

		Looking for job in space.  Help, anyone?

jenks@p.cs.uiuc.edu		{ihnp4!pur-ee}uiucdcs!uiucdcsp!jenks

johng@ecrcvax.UUCP (10/29/87)

In article <9298@tekecs.TEK.COM> philb@maya.UUCP (Phil Biehl) writes:
>In article <5270001@hpisof0.HP.COM> campbelr@hpisof0.HP.COM (Bob Campbell) writes:
>>SSME Specifications     (Full power level)
>.
>.
>>Flowrates:
>>   Total                 1,130 lb/s     22,557 gpm
>>   Hydrogen                160 lb/s     16,436 gpm
>>   Oxygen                  970 lb/s      6,121 gpm
>
>Does the above flowrates indicate tha actual combustion mixture present at the
>combustion chamber? If so then why is there a greater ratio than 2 parts H to
>one part O? I would think that the extra hydrogen would be unconsumed making
>the engine less efficient than it could be... What am I missing?
>
>Phil Biehl

True, some of the hydrogen goes unconsumed.  There are two problems with
the perfect 8:1 mass ratio:

    1) The metals of the engine cannot handle the temperature of the
       reaction.  So the hydrogen acts as a coolant.

    2) *I'm not positive of this one*  The temperature of the 8:1
       reaction is enough to disassociate some of the water back into
       hydrogen and oxygen therefore *lowering* the efficiency.
       *Anybody know for sure?*

			    John Gregor

> ... why is there a greater ratio than 2 parts H to
> one part O? I would think that the extra hydrogen would be unconsumed making
> the engine less efficient than it could be... What am I missing?

1. The mixture has to be hydrogen-rich to protect the engine walls against
	attack by hot high-pressure oxygen.  (For the same reason, the
	hydrogen and oxygen supplies would not run out at the same instant
	if the engines burned to fuel exhaustion [normally they shut down
	a bit before that] -- the hydrogen tank is deliberately filled a
	little fuller than it has to be, to make *sure* the oxygen runs
	out first no matter what.)

2. Adding hydrogen lowers the average molecular weight of the exhaust, so a
	modest excess of hydrogen can improve performance even though it
	does not add energy.

3. Adding hydrogen lowers the exhaust temperature, which reduces energy
	absorption by thermal dissociation of H2O.  Again, in small doses
	this can be a net win.
--

alastair@geovision.UUCP (Alastair Mayer) (11/04/87)

In article <9298@tekecs.TEK.COM> philb@maya.UUCP (Phil Biehl) writes:
>In article <5270001@hpisof0.HP.COM> campbelr@hpisof0.HP.COM (Bob Campbell) writes:
>>SSME Specifications     (Full power level)
>.
>>Flowrates:
>>   Total                 1,130 lb/s     22,557 gpm
>>   Hydrogen                160 lb/s     16,436 gpm
>>   Oxygen                  970 lb/s      6,121 gpm
>
>Does the above flowrates indicate tha actual combustion mixture present at the
>combustion chamber? If so then why is there a greater ratio than 2 parts H to
>one part O? I would think that the extra hydrogen would be unconsumed making
>the engine less efficient than it could be... What am I missing?

 Rocket engine "efficiency" is more than just optimizing the mix ratio
of the fuel and oxidizer.  It is also related to the exhaust velocity
of the combustion products.  Having the SSMEs run H2 rich means that
the average molecular weight of the exhaust is less than that of straight
H2O, hence for a given combustion temperature will reach a higher
exhaust velocity.  (If I had my textbook handy I could quote formulas
at you).
  The *thrust* isn't as great - you need a relatively heavy exhaust
for that, but the efficiency (in terms of specific impulse) is better.
One way of looking at it is comparing the engine with, say, NERVA,
which used a nuclear heat source to heat hydrogen propellant.  MW of
the exhaust was just 2 - very efficient, except that the thermal
coupling of the reactor to propellant was poor.  The SSME uses a chemical
heat source to heat the hydrogen propellant, said source being the
H2-O2 combustion.   Thermal coupling is excellent!
  There are a couple of lesser reasons for running the engines H2-rich -
you want to maintain the exhaust as a reducing gas rather than an
oxidizing gas, and trying to run the engines right at the stoichiometric
mix ratio it would probably oscillate between reducing and oxidizing
with interesting effects on the materials in the combustion chamber
and engine bell...

--
 Alastair JW Mayer     BIX: al
                      UUCP: ...!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!geovision!alastair

 "What we really need is a good 5-cent/gram launch vehicle."