[sci.space.shuttle] Pu Payloads of shuttle

eugene@pioneer.arpa (Eugene N. Miya) (02/04/88)

In article <1484@boulder.Colorado.EDU> huntting@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Bradley Enoch Huntting) writes:
>In his article <347@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) writes:
>>According to activist and musician Jello Biafra, the next flight of the
>>shuttle was to carring a payload of 46 pounds of *plutonium*.
>>He claims this is from _The_Nation_ and _Common_Cause_, who got
>>it from NASA, who "conveniently forgot to tell us about it."
>>
>>1. Is this correct?
>>
>>2. If so, I thought there was a law or treaty or something...
>>   [that] prohibits the launching of radioactive material...
>
>I seem to remember hearing this on network TV the day the Columbia exploded.
				I'll overlook this	   ^^^^^^^^
>As for Pu in space,  I've never understood how a satelite could use so much
>power that it would need a fision reactor insted of photovoltaic cells, and a
>battery?  Is there a weight problem?  Is it a political issue?

It's not a fission reactor.  It's more the thermal characteristics.
I won't describe how they work, Voyager and Pioneer have RTGs as will
Galileo, the space craft in question.  A document is available somewhere
on the history and development of space craft nuclear power systems.
Is there a weigh problem? Yes: power per weight.  The problem comes
with the inverse square law: the craft can't get enough solar energy
(RORSATs or deep space missions).  One satellite carrying an RTG was
destroyed years ago during liftoff.  The RTG was recovered and used
on a replacement satellite.  They are ballistic armored with a
minimum of radiation shielding and well made.

--eugene