[sci.space.shuttle] New Schedule

reyn@trsvax.UUCP (02/03/88)

The official return-to-flight date for the space shuttle is now August 4, 1988.
Qualification motor tests for the SRBs are now planned on April 7 and June 9
with a product verification and motor test firing on July 6.

The space shuttle Discovery will be rolled out to the launch pad on May 13 for
a 20 second flight rediness firing of its liquid fueled main engines on June
13.

					     Keep your fingers crossed

mjohnson@encad.Wichita.NCR.COM (Mark Johnson) (02/09/88)

In article <191800003@trsvax> reyn@trsvax.UUCP writes:
>The space shuttle Discovery will be rolled out to the launch pad on May 13 for
>a 20 second flight rediness firing of its liquid fueled main engines on June
>13.

Has anyone else observed that this schedule leaves the Discovery sitting out
exposed to the weather for the bulk of the (often violent) Florida summer
thunderstorm season? What about the distinct possibility of lightning
strikes to the launch complex/vehicle????
--
Mark Johnson (mjohnson@ncrwic.UUCP)
NCR Engineering & Manufacturing-Wichita, KS  phone: (316)688-8189

kwh@sei.cmu.edu (Kurt Hoyt) (02/11/88)

In article <248@encad.Wichita.NCR.COM> mjohnson@encad.Wichita.NCR.COM writes:
>Has anyone else observed that this schedule leaves the Discovery sitting out
>exposed to the weather for the bulk of the (often violent) Florida summer
>thunderstorm season? What about the distinct possibility of lightning
>strikes to the launch complex/vehicle????

It's been done before. There is a lightning rod on top of the service tower
on both pads. I'm sure that surviving a Florida thunderstorm is one of the
requirements on most launch vehicles (at least surviving on the ground). The
only thing that might worry NASA is a hurricane (the east coast of Florida
is 'due' for a good one, but they are protected by the Gulf Stream --
hurricanes seem to get deflected by it to North Carolina instead).

--
Kurt Hoyt			| ARPA:   kwh@sei.cmu.edu
Software Engineering Institute	| BITNET: kwh%sei.cmu.edu@cmuccvma
				| CSNET:  kwh%sei.cmu.edu@relay.cs.net
"From previous research with rendering systems we have learned that a good
dose of gratuitous partial differential equations is needed to meet the
paper quota for impressive formulas." SIGGRAPH '87 Proceedings, p. 73

karn@thumper.bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) (02/11/88)

> Has anyone else observed that this schedule leaves the Discovery sitting out
> exposed to the weather for the bulk of the (often violent) Florida summer
> thunderstorm season? What about the distinct possibility of lightning
> strikes to the launch complex/vehicle????

Lightning is so common in central Florida that lightning protection has
long been built into the launch pads. That tall white mast you see on
the fixed portion of the shuttle launch tower is a fiberglass (!)
lightning rod. A heavy cable runs from the ground south of the pad
through the pulley and back to ground on the north side of the pad; this
wire is often visible in pad pictures.  This system serves as a
lightning rod. The fiberglass rod ensures that strikes travel through
ground via the wire and not the launch tower itself where they
could induce secondary surges in nearby shutte systems.

As long as it's on the pad, the shuttle is quite safe from lightning
hits. The tower has already withstood several hits with the shuttle on
the pad. The high winds often accompanying thunderstorms are another
matter, and of course the shuttle is not protected from lightning when
it's somewhere on the 3-mile 3-hour trip between VAB and pad.

Phil

slr@ho95e.ATT.COM (Shelley.L.Rosenbaum) (02/16/88)

In article <941@thumper.bellcore.com> karn@thumper.bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) writes:
>> Has anyone else observed that this schedule leaves the Discovery sitting out
>> exposed to the weather for the bulk of the (often violent) Florida summer
>> thunderstorm season? What about the distinct possibility of lightning
>> strikes to the launch complex/vehicle????
>
>Lightning is so common in central Florida that lightning protection has
>long been built into the launch pads. [...]
>
>As long as it's on the pad, the shuttle is quite safe from lightning
>hits. The tower has already withstood several hits with the shuttle on
>the pad.

I went to see the nighttime launch of Challenger a few years back, and
there was a violent (probably level-5) thunderstorm a few hours before
launch.  I have some pictures of lightning striking the top of the
tower (and the VAB, too).  According to news reports we were listening
to while we were waiting for the launch, NASA wasn't too concerned
about the lightning--they just delayed the launch around 2 hours so the
thunderstorm cell could pass and the winds die down.

--
Shelley Rosenbaum; AT&T Bell Labs; (201) 949-3615
{ihnp4, allegra, cbosgd}!ho95c!slr

"He's been up there for a week!  But he's coming down!"