[sci.space.shuttle] Where are the remaining Saturn V boosters?

markh@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Mark William Hopkins) (03/04/88)

What is the status of the remaining Saturn V boosters?  From what I heard, they
were practically being given away for under a million apiece.  This would be a
great incentive to privately operated space missions.  Also, if they're being
sold that cheaply I'd be intereseted in buying one 8-) 8-).

tomas@Apple.COM (Tom Taylor) (03/05/88)

In article <5052@uwmcsd1.UUCP> markh@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Mark William Hopkins) writes:
>What is the status of the remaining Saturn V boosters?  From what I heard, they
>were practically being given away for under a million apiece.  This would be a
>great incentive to privately operated space missions.  Also, if they're being
>sold that cheaply I'd be intereseted in buying one 8-) 8-).

I went to Cape Kennedy (or whatever it's called this year) a couple of
Christmas's ago and there was a huge Saturn V on static display, lying
horizontal on the ground.  There was also a huge F1 engine on display,
halfway rusted through.

We probably went there on the busiest day of the year.  No kidding... it
was more crowded than Disney World (and they were turning people away
from Disney World).  All the tours were booked.  All the displays were
jammed with people.  All the movies were sold out.  We basically went
in the bookstore, bought a couple of books, looked at the rusted rockets
outside, and then left.

wdh@hrshcx.UUCP (W. David Higgins) (03/06/88)

In article <5052@uwmcsd1.UUCP> markh@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Mark William Hopkins) writes:
>What is the status of the remaining Saturn V boosters?  From what I heard, they
>were practically being given away for under a million apiece.  This would be a
>great incentive to privately operated space missions.  Also, if they're being
>sold that cheaply I'd be intereseted in buying one 8-) 8-).

I doubt the goverment is selling, but with the deficit being what is is,
who knows :-( (ahem).  I know of three remaining Saturn V's: one at KSC,
one at Houston, and the third, 'owned' by the Smithsonian and located at
the Alabama Space Museum in Huntsville, Alabama.  All three are on public
display; none are close to flight ready.  The two interstage assemblies
of the one at Huntsville have been converted into buildings(!).  One is
used as the waiting area for an exhibit.  I was admiring this strange two
story structure's construction from the inside once when it suddenly clicked
that it was the 2nd-3rd interstage.

Aircraft quality construction in a building is a rarity in my experience :-)

In any case, there is only one launch facility for Saturn V's, and it would
take years to convert launch complex 39 back.  I wish I had seen a Saturn V
launch; it's too late now.
--
--  W. David Higgins;   <<<< this space for rent >>>>         (hrshcx!wdh)
--  Harris Computer Systems,  Ft. Lauderdale, FL  33309       305-973-5351

wdh@hrshcx.UUCP (W. David Higgins) (03/07/88)

In article <7560@apple.Apple.Com> tomas@apple.UUCP (Tom Taylor) writes:
>I went to Cape Kennedy (or whatever it's called this year) a couple of
>Christmas's ago and there was a huge Saturn V on static display, lying
>horizontal on the ground.  (...)  All the tours were booked.  (...)
>We basically went in the bookstore, bought a couple of books, looked at
>the rusted rockets outside, and then left.

If you didn't take the tour, you didn't see the Saturn V.  You saw a
Saturn Ib.  Impressive, yes, but not *nearly* the size of the Saturn V.
The Saturn V at KSC is on display outside the VAB, and you have to take
one of the tours to see it.