[sci.space.shuttle] LIFE Boisjoly Interview

heiby@falkor.UUCP (Ron Heiby) (03/04/88)

In the March 1988 issue of LIFE magazine, there is in interview of Roger
Boisjoly, of Morton Thiokol O-ring fame.  It starts on page 17.  On page
22, Boisjoly makes the following statement (about the nozzle joint):

	Incredibly, NASA is now reinstalling the model that worked
	in August.  If you make the technical decision to redesign
	a piece of hardware, it is not on a whim --- it is because
	something is wrong.  And if the redesign fails, then you
	cannot ethically revert to the previous version and call it
	acceptable for flight.

Does anyone know more about this?
--
Ron Heiby, heiby@mcdchg.UUCP	Moderator: comp.newprod & comp.unix
"I believe in the Tooth Fairy."  "I believe in Santa Claus."

belmonte@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Matthew Belmonte) (03/07/88)

In article <148@falkor.UUCP> heiby@falkor.UUCP (Ron Heiby) writes:
>In the March 1988 issue of LIFE magazine, there is in interview of Roger
>Boisjoly, of Morton Thiokol O-ring fame.  It starts on page 17.  On page
>22, Boisjoly makes the following statement (about the nozzle joint):
[QUOTATION DELETED]
In a talk he gave here at Cornell recently, Boisjoly was asked about the nozzle
joint and in response put up a viewgraph of something that had been designated
as an alternative design and said (words may not be exact) "This is the joint
they should be using."  I can't recall the particulars, but his point was that
the current design (correct me if I'm wrong) has the joint penetrated by many
steel screws which connect the nozzle section to the bottom section of the SRB,
and as a result there is a nontrivial probability of its being corrupted by
pressure.  I wish I could picture exactly what that joint he had up on the
screen looked like.
--
Matthew Belmonte
Internet:	belmonte@sleepy.cs.cornell.edu