[sci.space.shuttle] SATURN V BOOSTERS *other test vehicles*

seldon@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Joe Walker) (03/11/88)

     When visiting Johnson space center I saw a test vehicle for the Apollo
command and service modules called "Lillte Joe". Does anyone have any data
on the Little Joes and how they were used. What kind of engine did it have?
How many test flights were there?
                                          Thanx

P.S.(we might want to move this to Sci.Space...)

 Joe Walker                          |        The dream is still alive!!
 U.S. Mail:                          |-----------------------------------------
    Dartmouth College                | Space Camp -------------->Jun. 1983
    H.B. 219, Hanover N.H. 03755     | Space Camp Lev 2 -------->Aug. 1984
 E-Mail:                             | Space Academy ----------->Aug. 1985
    BITNET: Seldon@D1.Dartmouth.EDU  | Space Academy Lev 2 ----->Aug. 1987
    UNIX:seldon@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU| *Let's hear from you campers out there!*
               !{harvard,linus,inhp4}!dartvax!eleazar!seldon

mike@ames.arpa (Mike Smithwick) (03/15/88)

In article <8371@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU> seldon@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Joe Walker) writes:

>     When visiting Johnson space center I saw a test vehicle for the Apollo
>command and service modules called "Lillte Joe". Does anyone have any data
>on the Little Joes and how they were used. What kind of engine did it have?
>How many test flights were there?
>                                          Thanx
> Joe Walker                          |        The dream is still alive!!

The Little Joe series of rockets were built to test the launch-escape
system (LES) of both the Apollo and Mercury. Little Joe 1 was for the
Mercury, and the II for Apollo. They were single stage units, powered
by a cluster of several solid rockets. It had enough power to get the
spacecraft to an altitude of 40K or 50K feet, which would be followed by
the LES firing.

I have a number of videotapes at home of notable LJ II launches. On one
the vehicle started into an uncontrollable spin, which ripped it apart.
The LES functioned automatically as it should and the test was declared
a success even though the rocket was destroyed.

--
			   *** mike (Cyberpunk in training) smithwick ***
"live long and multi-task"

eric@cbmvax.UUCP (Eric Cotton) (03/31/88)

In article <8371@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU> seldon@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Joe Walker) writes:
>     When visiting Johnson space center I saw a test vehicle for the Apollo
>command and service modules called "Lillte Joe". Does anyone have any data
>on the Little Joes and how they were used. What kind of engine did it have?
>How many test flights were there?

While I cannot tell you much about the early Little Joes I can provide some
information about the Little Joe II series.  For some reason, I find this
rocket very interesting.  Perhaps its the way it looks like a cross between
old and new...

Excerpted from _Apollo_Little_Joe_II_ by Centuri Engineering Company, Inc.,
copyright 1968:

	The Little Joe II is a solid rocket booster designed and produced
	by the Convair Division of General Dynamics for the NASA Apollo
	Program.  Its specific purpose was the man-rating of the Apollo
	Launch Escape System which pulls the three moon-bound astronauts
	to safety in the event of a catastrophic Saturn V booster failure.

	Little Joe II uses a cluster of up to seven ALGOL 1D solid propellant
	motors, which produce a combined total thrust of 860,000 pounds.
	It is the most powerful all [sic] solid propellant rocket ever
	flown in the United States [This was written before the advent of
	the space shuttle!].  All of the unmanned Launch Escape qualification
	flight tests, using the Little Joe II booster, were conducted at
	the White Sands Missle Range in New Mexico between August 28, 1963
	and January 20, 1966.

Following is a summary of the Little Joe II flights:
[A boilerplate is an R&D vehicle that simulates a production craft, whereas
a spacecraft refers to an actual production model.]

	QTV - Test Vehicle	August 28, 1963
	o  dummy Launch Escape System (LES)
	o  dummy Command & Service Modules
	o  Booster: Cluster of seven motors:  a center ALGOL
	   surrounded by six Recruits
	o  Liftoff Weight: 57,165 lbs.
	o  Abort Altitude: No abort capability
	o  Test Objective: Check out the Little Joe II booster, not the LES

	Boilerplate - 12	May 13, 1964
	o  live LES
	o  boilerplate Command Module (CM)
	o  Booster: One ALGOL motor, six Recruits
	o  Liftoff Weight: 57,930 lbs.
	o  Abort Altitude: 19,400 ft.
	o  Test Objective: Transonic buffeting abort

	Boilerplate - 23	December 8, 1964
	o  live LES
	o  boilerplate Command Module (CM)
	o  Booster: Two ALGOL motors, four Recruit motors
	o  Liftoff Weight: 94,331 lbs.
	o  Abort Altitude: 32,000 ft.
	o  Test Objective: Maximum aerodynamic pressure abort

	Boilerplate - 22	May 19, 1965
	o  live LES
	o  boilerplate Command Module (CM)
	o  Booster: Six ALGOL motors
	o  Liftoff Weight: 177,189 lbs.
	o  Abort Altitude: 12,400 ft.  (111,200 intended)
	o  Test Objective: High altitude abort

	Spacecraft - 002	January 20, 1966
	o  live LES
	o  actual production CM and SM
	o  Booster: Four ALGOL motors, five Recruit motors
	o  Liftoff Weight: 139,731 lbs.
	o  Abort Altitude: 61,000 ft.
	o  Test Objective: Power-on tumbling abort

For further information, drop me some e-mail.

--
	Eric Cotton
	Commodore-Amiga

  *======================================================================*
 *=====     UUCP: {rutgers|ihnp4|allegra}!cbmvax!eric                =====*
*=====      FONE: (215) 431-9100                                      =====*
*=====      MAIL: 1200 Wilson Drive / West Chester, PA 19380          =====*
 *=====     PAUL: "I don't find this stuff amusing anymore."         =====*
  *======================================================================*

As I recall, there was at least one serious failure of the Little Joe II --
but the test was declared a success because the escape system functioned
properly and got the Apollo away from the unintended mess!
--
"Noalias must go.  This is           |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
non-negotiable."  --DMR              | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry

mike@ames.arpa (Mike Smithwick) (04/03/88)

In article <1988Mar31.192910.406@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>As I recall, there was at least one serious failure of the Little Joe II --
>but the test was declared a success because the escape system functioned
>properly and got the Apollo away from the unintended mess!
>--

There were 5 LJ-II missions. The first was a short test of the actual
vehicle, followed by 4 operational flights. You're thinking of the
third mission, A-003. This was supposed to test the LES at the high
altitude region of the S-IB and S-V launch trajectories, in the
120,000 foot area.

At 2.6 seconds into the flight, one of the elevons went whacko, putting
the rocket into a very high spin rate, which reached 335 deg/sec.
At T+24.4 seconds it started to break up when the centrifugal
accelerations hit 4Gs, since the rocket motors were rated to only
2Gs. The abort took place 2 seconds later when the entire rocket
disintegrated at an altitude of about 12,500 feet. Even though the
launch was a flop, 9 out of the 10 tests were fulfilled, so the flight
was called a success.

The other missions also involved vehicle destruction, but as a part of
the actual test. The films of these things are pretty spectacular.

--
			   *** mike (Cyberpunk in training) smithwick ***
"After all, isn't our only real purpose in life merely to make the person