[sci.space.shuttle] Food for thought

donm@omepd (Don McGlauflin) (04/06/88)

Here's some food for thought:

The last time I saw a figure for it, McDonald's restaurants had sold
over 30,000,000,000 hamburgers.

At an average height of 2 inches, the stack would reach the Moon and
back TWICE!

At an average price of $.70, we spent $21,000,000,000 just for the
burgers. That doesn't count the fries (or the Rolaids either :-).

If we had spent the same amount of money on space hardware, we could
have bought 24 more Apollo Moon shots, PLUS 6 more Shuttle Orbiters.

Kind of makes your mouth water, eh?

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

SWAGs: 30,000 burgers to the mile
       250,000 miles to the Moon, each way
       $250,000 for an Apollo shot (1969 dollars)
       $2,500,000,000 for an Orbiter

Ah, I can feel the flames now. Medium rare, please.

Don McGlauflin
Sort-of-associated-with
Intel Corp., Hillsboro, OR
(503) 696-4256

montague@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Michael Montague) (04/12/88)

> If we had spent the same amount of money on space hardware, we could
> have bought 24 more Apollo Moon shots, PLUS 6 more Shuttle Orbiters.

Sure, and if we were willing to accept more risk of failure and loss of
human life, instead of trying to make everything failure-safe we could
have that for the same amount of money we spend now. :-)

Michael.

--
Internet: montague@sun.soe.clarkson.edu  |  Woody's my hero...
Bitnet: montague@CLUTX.BITNET            |

kwa1_ltd@ur-tut (Karl Wagenfuehr Ltd.) (04/13/88)

In article <3355@omepd> donm@omepd (Don McGlauflin) writes:
>The last time I saw a figure for it, McDonald's restaurants had sold
>over 30,000,000,000 hamburgers.
>If we had spent the same amount of money on space hardware, we could
>have bought 24 more Apollo Moon shots, PLUS 6 more Shuttle Orbiters.

Why not just meet (meat?) this halfway:  Build a MacDonald's in orbit.
They built one in Paris (which is paricularly brave not only in light
of the value the French place on good food, but because the term "Big
Mac" has very nasty connotations in French).  A McD in orbit would at
the same keep the burger numbers climbing (literally!), and advance
space hardware.  But, more importantly, think of the comercials...

The mind just reels with possibilities...

Karl
['(]