[sci.space.shuttle] News release of net interest

eugene@pioneer.arpa (Eugene N. Miya) (03/31/88)

Normally, I do not forward NASA internal announcements.  They have
stamps like:
   It is intended for INTERNAL agency use only.  (This line came from 1)

You may think everything NASA does is in the public domain, but the
public also means your neighbor's privacy (like if your neighbor is
Rockwell, Boeing, etc., did I say competitors? ;-)  SO when people
ask to see NASA internal discussion groups, WE HAVE TO SAY NO!

NOW, I know how sentimental some of you guys are, so I post this press
release for you.  Have a field day, and good luck.

From the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@ames-aurora.ARPA
  "Send mail, avoid follow-ups.  If enough, I'll summarize."
  {uunet,hplabs,hao,ihnp4,decwrl,allegra,tektronix}!ames!aurora!eugene

Subject: SHUTTLE ORBITER-NAMING COMPETITION ANNOUNCED
Cynthia Buck
NASA Headquarters, Washington, D.C.
(Phone:  202/453-8400)                             March 30, 1988

Jay P. Goldman
Council of Chief State School Officers
(Phone:  202/393-8161)

RELEASE:  88-46

SHUTTLE ORBITER-NAMING COMPETITION ANNOUNCED

    The National Aeronautics and Space Administration in
cooperation with the Council of Chief State School Officers
(CCSSO) today issued the announcement of opportunity for
America's students to participate in a national competition to
name NASA's replacement Space Shuttle orbiter, scheduled to make
its premiere flight in early 1992.

    The announcement invites teachers to enter their students in
the orbiter-naming competition and provides an order form for
obtaining an entry packet.  Entry packets with instructions,
describing competition rules and judging criteria, will be
available in early May.

    The new orbiter, designated OV 105, is under construction by
Rockwell International in California and is scheduled for
completion in April 1991.

    The announcement states, "The Orbiter-Naming Program responds
to a basic human impulse to name things....  NASA's first
orbiters were named after sea vessels used in research and
exploration....  The tradition of naming an orbiter after an
exploratory or research sea vessel will be continued with OV
105."

    The name chosen should not only identify an American
spacecraft but also should capture the spirit of America's
mission in space.  In honor of the seven crew members lost in the
Challenger accident, the name Challenger has been retired.

    To enter, elementary and secondary school students will form
teams and research a name.  Each team will prepare a related
classroom project to support and justify the name selected.

    The team's project must be interdisciplinary and may serve as
a pilot project for future classroom activities.  Orbiter-naming
projects are to be completed during the 1988 fall semester, and
entries must be postmarked by Dec. 31, 1988.

    Each team will have a coordinator who must be a member of the
school faculty and will be responsible for directing the team's
activities and submitting the official program entry packet for
judging.

    There will be two entry divisions:  Division one will include
kindergarten through 6th grade and Division two 7th through 12th
grade.

    Students in public and private schools in the United States
and U.S. territories, Department of Defense overseas dependents'
schools, Department of State schools and Bureau of Indian Affairs
schools are eligible to participate.

    Each state, territory and agency will announce one winner in
each division in March 1989.  NASA will announce the final winner
from each division and the name selected for the orbiter in May
1989.

    Each entry will receive recognition for the team's
participation.  State, territory and agency division winners will
receive special Awards of Recognition.  Representatives of the
national winning teams will receive an expense-paid visit to a
NASA-related event.

    In addition, NASA's Educational Affairs Division will conduct
a School Involvement Program for each of the winning schools.
NASA personnel will visit the schools and classrooms, and special
events will honor the students and their team coordinators, the
faculty, parents and community members who guided and assisted
their orbiter-naming projects.

    House Joint Resolution 559, introduced March 10, 1986 by
Congressman Tom Lewis (R-Florida), called for the name of the
replacement orbiter to be selected from suggestions submitted by
students.

    On June 8, 1987, Dr. James C. Fletcher, administrator of
NASA, announced the program for students to recommend names to
NASA for the Space Shuttle orbiter to replace the Challenger.

    On Oct. 30, 1987, Congress authorized the NASA Administrator
to select a name for the new orbiter "from among suggestions
submitted by students in elementary and secondary schools."

    Announcements of opportunity will be distributed to
elementary and secondary teachers and principals.  The
announcements also will be distributed to educators on NASA's
Educational Affairs mailing list, to educational organizations
and professional associations and to NASA field center education
offices and Teacher Resource Centers.

    To request an entry packet for the Orbiter-Naming Program,
teachers should contact:

    NASA Orbiter-Naming Program
    Council of Chief State School Officers
    Suite 300
    400 North Capitol Street, N.W.
    Washington, D.C.  20001

    (Phone:  202/783-5109)
            (202/783-5113)

reyn@trsvax.UUCP (04/07/88)

Since Challenger has been retired from consideration, why not name the shuttle
after the famous U.S. Nuclear Submarine Thresher?

freeman@spar.SPAR.SLB.COM (Jay Freeman) (04/13/88)

Or, in optimistic anticipation of a big fleet, we could name
them after states.  Let's call the first one the "Maine" :-)

kwa1_ltd@ur-tut (Karl Wagenfuehr Ltd.) (04/13/88)

Personally, I think the name "Phoenix" would be most appropriate for
the new shuttle.  Arising from the ashes of the old, the shuttle lives
on.

I don't think "Phoenix" will catch on, and I doubt anyone who read what
I just wrote will, either.

mcdowell@cfa250.harvard.edu (Jonathan McDowell) (04/13/88)

It has to be a ship of discovery.
Since the three surviving orbiters have names beginning with 'A', 'C', and 'D',
we've been trying here to tthink of one beginning with B. So far
all we've come up with is the Beagle (Darwin's ship) - great history, but just
doesnt have the ring.
Any other ideas?

Jonathan McDowell

eugene@pioneer.arpa (Eugene N. Miya) (04/13/88)

You can discuss renaming of a ship here, but remember two things:
1) The power that be, don't read this (newsgroup).  I won't forward it.
I'm supposed to do research, not be a PR person.

2) One of your colleagues can quietly take one of your `excellent' names
and snail mail it in (probably hundreds, since they will probably get
20,000 letters which a few hundred unique suggestions).  Perhaps, just
perhaps, they take your suggestion and get lots of credit. They's why
copyright and patent laws exist.

From the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@ames-aurora.ARPA
  "Send mail, avoid follow-ups.  If enough, I'll summarize."
  {uunet,hplabs,hao,ihnp4,decwrl,allegra,tektronix}!ames!aurora!eugene

My personal favorite would be just to give it a hull number and leave it
at that.

cjl@ecsvax.UUCP (Charles Lord) (04/14/88)

In article <7340@ames.arpa>, eugene@pioneer.arpa (Eugene N. Miya) writes:
> My personal favorite would be just to give it a hull number and leave it
> at that.

How about NCC-1701? ;-)

dave@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Dave Goldblatt) (04/14/88)

From article <7340@ames.arpa>, by eugene@pioneer.arpa (Eugene N. Miya):
> My personal favorite would be just to give it a hull number and leave it
> at that.

NCC-1701? :-)

-dg-

--

Internet: dave@sun.soe.clarkson.edu    or:   dave@clutx.clarkson.edu
BITNET:   dave@CLUTX.Bitnet            uucp: {rpics, gould}!clutx!dave

rjd@occrsh.ATT.COM (04/14/88)

:I thought NASA has already decided to let school children name it, and that
:it ought to be named after a famous research vessel.  So isn't the net
:discussion here academic anyway?
:
:Joakim Karlsson                               iceman @ pucc.Princeton.edu

  OK, then, how about the "Calypso" :-)....

Randy

maugorn@c3pe.UUCP (Steve "Maugorn" Haug) (04/17/88)

In article <1785@ur-tut.UUCP> kwa1_ltd@tut.cc.rochester.edu.UUCP (Karl Wagenfuehr Ltd.) writes:
>Personally, I think the name "Phoenix" would be most appropriate for
>the new shuttle.  Arising from the ashes of the old, the shuttle lives
>on.
>
>I don't think "Phoenix" will catch on, and I doubt anyone who read what
>I just wrote will, either.

You're not alone.   I also believe that "Phoenix" would be an absolutely
incredible name for the new shuttle.
Who knows, maybe with a name like that, the folks who build it might
work a little harder to make it a tribute and not a self-fulfilling
prophecy?
				Maugorn

kwa1_ltd@ur-tut (Karl Wagenfuehr Ltd.) (04/17/88)

I wonder what the chances are of coming up with a name that hasn't been
thought of before?  I mean, I'm sure that all the ground we've covered
here has been covered elsewhere, probably totally independently.  For
proof, I need cite only the last two postings, where two people each
"independently" came up with the clever remark about leaving the name
as the hull designation as being Star Trek's Enterprise's hull number.

WHen the new shuttle is finally named (by a grade school kid, I think
the current plan is), there will be several people nation (world?) wide
who will claim to have come up with that name first.  Obviously if any
thing mentioned here is actually used, causality will naturally be
assumed.  But I bet that there will be no validity to the claim (and how
am I gonna prove *that*?); the name will have been independently thought
up, because there aren't that many possibilities.

Karl
['(]

Endeavour. It's appropriate, in afferbeck lauder, and would help get some
Aussat business.
--
-- Peter da Silva      `-_-'      ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- "Have you hugged your U wolf today?" ...!bellcore!tness1!sugar!peter

jay@ncspm.ncsu.edu (Jay C. Smith) (04/18/88)

In article <2518@c3pe.UUCP> maugorn@c3pe.UUCP (Steve "Maugorn" Haug) writes:
>In article <1785@ur-tut.UUCP> kwa1_ltd@tut.cc.rochester.edu.UUCP
>(Karl Wagenfuehr Ltd.) writes:
>>Personally, I think the name "Phoenix" would be most appropriate for
>>the new shuttle.
>
>You're not alone.   I also believe that "Phoenix" would be an absolutely
>incredible name for the new shuttle.

I waited until I saw that no one had mentioned this, but Phoenix
was the name proposed by Wally Schirra for the Apollo VII command
module (in the aftermath of the Apollo I tragedy).  NASA quickly nixed
that idea, and besides, there hadn't been a named spacecraft since Gemini
III's Molly Brown.  I think NASA decided that the problems they had with
Gus Grissom over the naming of that one weren't worth repeating, since they
saw that obviously not all the crews would want to give their craft a
"respectable" name (even though the proposed name for Gemini IV was American
Eagle, or something like that).  They did not return to names until Apollo IX,
because the mission involved two separate spacecraft which necessitated use
of some sort of code names.

BTW, did the Skylab command modules have names?  Did the Apollo-Soyuz
CM have a name?  Is the designation "Apollo XVIII" that some references
use for Apollo-Soyuz really justified (was it ever officially that)?

Jay C. Smith                    uucp:     ...!mcnc!ncsuvx!ncspm!jay
Domain:	jay@ncspm.ncsu.edu      internet: jay%ncspm@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu

dunc%moria@Sun.COM (duncs home) (04/18/88)

How about naming the new shuttle "Proxmire"?  It would symbolize the mindset
that lead to the shuttle's sadly compromised design, and would no doubt annoy
Proxmire, a worthy goal in its own right. 8^)
				--Dunc

tneff@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Neff) (04/20/88)

In article <805@cfa237.cfa250.harvard.edu> mcdowell@cfa250.harvard.edu (Jonathan McDowell) writes:
>Since the three surviving orbiters have names beginning with 'A', 'C', and 'D',
>we've been trying here to tthink of one beginning with B...
>Any other ideas?

I've got one that also answers Charles Lord's desire for a companion name
to "Columbia"...

	"Bulivia."

(ducking out of the way of flying brickbats)

--
Tom Neff			UUCP: ...!cmcl2!phri!dasys1!tneff
	"None of your toys	CIS: 76556,2536		MCI: TNEFF

mcdowell@cfa250.harvard.edu (Jonathan) (04/21/88)

From article <840@ncspm.ncsu.edu>, by jay@ncspm.ncsu.edu (Jay C. Smith):
> BTW, did the Skylab command modules have names?  Did the Apollo-Soyuz
> CM have a name?  Is the designation "Apollo XVIII" that some references
> use for Apollo-Soyuz really justified (was it ever officially that)?
> Jay C. Smith                    uucp:     ...!mcnc!ncsuvx!ncspm!jay

No, the Skylab missions just used SL-2, SL-3 and SL-4 (although
in media releases they were often referred to as Skylab 1,2,and 3
on the grounds that the press wouldn't be able to understand that
SL-1 was the unpiloted space station launched first. Very confusing).
ASTP Apollo was just that, never Apollo 18 in any official NASA
document that I've seen -its call sign was just 'Apollo', and the
spacecraft usually referred to as 'ASTP'. The Soyuz-19 craft on the same
 mission was reported to use the call-sign 'Soyuz' in
the joint part of the mission, but probably used commander Leonov's
call sign 'Almaz' in the independent part of its flight.
US piloted spacecraft names pre-STS were:

Mercury: Freedom 7, Liberty Bell 7, Friendship 7, Aurora 7, Sigma 7, Faith 7
Gemini 3: Molly Brown (unofficial)
Apollo 9-17: Gumdrop/Spider, Charlie Brown/Snoopy, Columbia/Eagle,
Yankee Clipper/Intrepid, Odyssey/Aquarius, Kitty Hawk/Antares,
Endeavour/Falcon, Casper/Orion, America/Challenger

- Jonathan

jay@ncspm.ncsu.edu (Jay C. Smith) (04/22/88)

In article <819@cfa237.cfa250.harvard.edu> mcdowell@cfa250.harvard.edu
(Jonathan) writes:
>No, the Skylab missions just used SL-2, SL-3 and SL-4 (although
>in media releases they were often referred to as Skylab 1,2,and 3
>on the grounds that the press wouldn't be able to understand that
>SL-1 was the unpiloted space station launched first. Very confusing).

The press didn't have problems with Freedom 7, Gemini 3, and Apollo 7,
did they?  Plus the mission patches were numbered 1, 2, and 3.  Maybe
they thought the astronauts wouldn't understand?  :-)

mcdowell@cfa250.harvard.edu (Jonathan McDowell) (04/24/88)

From article <856@ncspm.ncsu.edu>, by jay@ncspm.ncsu.edu (Jay C. Smith):
> Plus the mission patches were numbered 1, 2, and 3.  Maybe
> they thought the astronauts wouldn't understand?  :-)
> Jay C. Smith                    uucp:     ...!mcnc!ncsuvx!ncspm!jay

Ah - yes, that must have been it. Of course!
:-):-)

Jonathan

bob@cloud9.UUCP (Bob Toxen) (04/27/88)

> (Karl Wagenfuehr Ltd.) writes:
>   Personally, I think the name "Phoenix" would be most appropriate for
>   the new shuttle.

How 'bout "''Star Wars Or Bust''"?  After all, that's the prime mission
of the shuttle.  Too bad it wasn't the flight with the Congressman or
the CENSORED that blew up.
--

Bob Toxen	{ucbvax!ihnp4,harvard,cloud9!es}!anvil!cavu!bob
Stratus Computer, Marlboro, MA