[sci.space.shuttle] programming

jschafer@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Jack C Schafer) (05/09/88)

	I am the chief engineer of a campus cable system with
about 2000 subscribers.  My supervisors are wondering if we could carry
the next shuttle launch from transponder 13 on satcom 2.  Does
anyone know about the legalities of this?   What other programming if any
does NASA carry on this transponder and what is telecast during launches?
			Thanks in advance
					Jack
.

mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Smithwick) (05/09/88)

In article <5757@uwmcsd1.UUCP> jschafer@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Jack C Schafer) writes:

>	I am the chief engineer of a campus cable system with
>about 2000 subscribers.  My supervisors are wondering if we could carry
>the next shuttle launch from transponder 13 on satcom 2.  Does
>anyone know about the legalities of this?   What other programming if any
>does NASA carry on this transponder and what is telecast during launches?
>			Thanks in advance
>					Jack

There shouldn't be any problem. I know of a number of cable companies
who were carrying the video. Also, ham radio clubs were given permission
to retransmit the shuttle programming as well. (we're getting set up here
at Ames to do that for the next mission). You are in an especially good
position since you're affiliated with a school, as NASA was encouraging
schools to get TV dishes to watch the broadcasts.

I'm not sure about broadcasting the other programming, you may want to call up
JSC Public Affairs Office about that, since in the past they've carried
teleconferences which are considered "private". Other material include
all non-classified satillite launches, some special shuttle training
stuff if a remote contractor needs to see what's going on, flight readiness
firings, etc.

--
			   *** mike (Cyberpunk in training) smithwick ***
"Use an Atari, go to jail!"

tneff@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Neff) (05/10/88)

In article <5757@uwmcsd1.UUCP> jschafer@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Jack C Schafer) writes:
>	I am the chief engineer of a campus cable system with
>about 2000 subscribers.  My supervisors are wondering if we could carry
>the next shuttle launch from transponder 13 on satcom 2.  Does
>anyone know about the legalities of this?   What other programming if any
>does NASA carry on this transponder and what is telecast during launches?

I can't speak with authority on this subject, Jack, but as far as I know
NASASELECT is free and clear for you to carry.  It's publicly funded, there
is no fee.  Besides live TV feeds from the launch pad and flight crew, it
carries briefings, lectures and such.  There used to be a 300 bps number
you could call to download the latest schedule, but I have no idea what's
happened since Challenger.

I have often tried without success to get my local cable operator to carry
NASASELECT on a spare channel during missions.  If you decide to carry it,
I may have to move to Wisconsin this fall!  :-)
--
Tom Neff			UUCP: ...!cmcl2!phri!dasys1!tneff
	"None of your toys	CIS: 76556,2536		MCI: TNEFF