[sci.space.shuttle] Orbiter/SRB separation

james@bigtex.uucp (James Van Artsdalen) (05/10/88)

IN article <48048@ti-csl.CSNET>, kas@hp-pcd.hp.com (Ken Scofield) wrote:
> Why
> not just jettison the entire shuttle craft from the tank/booster assembly?
> [...]  Two arguments I've heard against
> this are:  The shuttle would break up due to aerodynamic forces, and/or it
> would be burned up in the departing booster's firetail.  Neither of these set
> well with me, because (a) the shuttle is designed to re-enter the atmosphere
> in excess of Mach 25, and (b) do so with skin temperatures of several thousand
> degrees.  So, what's the big problem?  You may post this one, too, if desired.

Shuttle is designed to re-enter at certain angles, with stress & temperature
in certain places.  Will not take large aerodynamic forces in wrong places,
and will NOT take heat in wrong places.  Heat shielding is by no means uniform
even along the front/bottom of orbiter.

Seems unlikely that (1) "aerodynamic" pressure within SRB exhaust is same as
re-entry aerodynamic pressure (momentum of SRB is likely much greater than that
of gases striking orbiter on re-entry) and (2) that shuttle could safely
maintain exact attitude in that exhaust.  If orbiter rotated or translated
just a little bit, surfaces exposed to exhaust would change.

Lastly, I'm not sure what if any provisions exist for steering SRB and
external tank away from orbiter after separation.  Center of mass moves
significantly, so SRB/tank may want to change course.  I don't believe
SRB nozzles can be gimbled.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen   ...!ut-sally!utastro!bigtex!james   "Live Free or Die"
Home: 512-346-2444 Work: 328-0282; 110 Wild Basin Rd. Ste #230, Austin TX 78746

> Lastly, I'm not sure what if any provisions exist for steering SRB and
> external tank away from orbiter after separation...  I don't believe
> SRB nozzles can be gimbled.

The SRB nozzles are gimbaled -- they have to be, there isn't enough
control authority in the SSMEs when the SRBs are firing.  However, I
believe all the smarts are aboard the orbiter, so they effectively run
wild when you break that connection.

Separating the orbiter from the tank/SRB assembly while the SRBs are
firing is difficult.  There are high loads on the connecting links,
and the separation must be immediate and complete.  The current links
definitely are not designed for a safe separation under power; the rear
link wouldn't separate cleanly and the orbiter would pitch up belly-on
to the slipstream.  This would destroy it:  it's moderately heat-resistant
but not terribly strong, and not even jet fighters can survive that kind
of treatment at high speed.  Redesigning the links for clean separation
just might be possible, but it wouldn't be easy.

Assuming we have clean separation, we then have to worry about what
happens aerodynamically.  It is *not* trivial to make sure that two large
objects in close formation move away from each other in an orderly manner.
Fighters and the like are carefully tested for proper "stores separation",
and gravity often isn't enough:  missiles "dropped" from fighters usually
are blown or thrown clear, not just dropped.  For the shuttle, we don't
even have gravity pointing in the right direction to help, and it's
impractical to fly full-scale tests.

And *then* we have to worry about the shuttle being hit by the SRB exhausts,
which are hot, dense, and abrasive.  The shuttle re-enters in a carefully
controlled way in hot but very thin air; it's not built to survive a large
rocket exhaust at close range.

In short, it's not quite impossible, but it's a lot harder than it looks.
--
NASA is to spaceflight as            |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
the Post Office is to mail.          | {ihnp4,decvax,uunet!mnetor}!utzoo!henry

dsmith@hplabsb.UUCP (David Smith) (05/14/88)

I'm not trying to say that orbiter separation during SRB firing could be
survivable, but I wonder about some of of the reasons advanced as to
why not.

In article <1988May11.185145.592@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> Separating the orbiter from the tank/SRB assembly while the SRBs are
> firing is difficult.  There are high loads on the connecting links,
> and the separation must be immediate and complete.

True, but since the orbiter is pushing forward on the tank, and not
vice-versa, might it be feasible to throttle down the SSME's to the
point that the loads are manageable?

> And *then* we have to worry about the shuttle being hit by the SRB exhausts,
> which are hot, dense, and abrasive.  The shuttle re-enters in a carefully
> controlled way in hot but very thin air; it's not built to survive a large
> rocket exhaust at close range.

But Challenger wasn't much damaged by the SRB exhaust plume, aside from
the local scorching it took from the failing joint prior to breakup.

			David Smith

CaptainDave@cup.portal.com (05/14/88)

     Just a quick question. On launch, are the flight controls active or
stored in a neutral position. I realize that they are useless above 150K-200K
altitude, but would they be usefull in a Shuttle/SRB-ET seperation?

                          CaptainDave@cup.portal.com

eder@ssc-vax.UUCP (Dani Eder) (05/18/88)

In article <4706@hplabsb.UUCP>, dsmith@hplabsb.UUCP (David Smith) writes:
> True, but since the orbiter is pushing forward on the tank, and not
> vice-versa, might it be feasible to throttle down the SSME's to the
> point that the loads are manageable?

I believe you are misinterpreting what is pushing on whom in the
Shuttle stack.  The majority of the mass of the Shuttle core,
which is the Orbiter plus External Tank, is the oxygen in the ET.
This comprises about 1.4 million pounds of the total 1.8 million
pounds in the core at liftoff.

There is a connection between the forward end of the Solid Rocket
Boosters and the middle of the 'intertank' in the ET.  This is
a ball-and socket joint, with an aft-facing socket on the ET, and
a forward pushing ball on the SRB.  The socket is part of a large
forging which spreads the push from an SRB over the intertank.
The intertank is the corrugated region about one third of the
way back on the ET.  The intertank, in turn, spreads the push
of the SRBs evenly along the rim of the Oxygen tank.  The push
from the SSMEs represents about 15% of the total thrust of the
Shuttle early in the flight.  The push from the SSMEs is transferred
into the skin of the hydrogen tank through the connecting
struts in the aft portion of the Orbiter.

With the present design of the ball and socket joint, there is
no way to separate the SRBs as long as they are firing, they
simply apply too much force (3 million pounds each) to separate
the joint.

--
Dani Eder / Boeing / Space Station Program / uw-beaver!ssc-vax!eder
(205)461-2606(w) (205)461-7801(h) 1075 Dockside Drive #905 Huntsville,

dsmith@hplabsb.UUCP (David Smith) (05/19/88)

In article <1934@ssc-vax.UUCP>, eder@ssc-vax.UUCP (Dani Eder) writes:
> In article <4706@hplabsb.UUCP>, dsmith@hplabsb.UUCP (David Smith) writes:
> > True, but since the orbiter is pushing forward on the tank, and not
> > vice-versa, might it be feasible to throttle down the SSME's to the
> > point that the loads are manageable?
> >

> I believe you are misinterpreting what is pushing on whom in the
> Shuttle stack.  The majority of the mass of the Shuttle core,
> which is the Orbiter plus External Tank, is the oxygen in the ET.
> This comprises about 1.4 million pounds of the total 1.8 million
> pounds in the core at liftoff.
>
> ((description of SRB-ET connection omitted))
>                                                   The push
> from the SSMEs represents about 15% of the total thrust of the
> Shuttle early in the flight.

I'm not impressed.  See below.

>                                  The push from the SSMEs is transferred
> into the skin of the hydrogen tank through the connecting
> struts in the aft portion of the Orbiter.
>
> With the present design of the ball and socket joint, there is
> no way to separate the SRBs as long as they are firing, they
> simply apply too much force (3 million pounds each) to separate
> the joint.

You apparently gathered that I was talking about separating SRBs from ET.
By referring to "the orbiter ... pushing forward on the tank", I was
addressing the detachment of the orbiter from the ET/SRB combination
with the SRB's still firing.

Thank you for the weight of the core (orbiter+ET).  Now let's look at
weights of the SRB's.  According to AW&ST, each SRB weighs 1.82 million
pounds empty, and is loaded with 1.11 million pounds of propellant (note 1).
Each SRB produces 3.3 million pounds of thrust at liftoff, "throttles" down
to 2.4 million for max-Q, and back up to 2.7 million afterward (note 2).
That's a thrust/weight ratio of 1.13 for the SRBs at liftoff, or 1.48 near
burnout, vs. 5.22 for the orbiter (if I wildly guess its weight at 250,000
pounds).  Clearly, the orbiter is pushing forward on the tank.

At liftoff, each SRB's excess of thrust over weight comes to 370,000
pounds, or 740,000 pounds for the pair.  The orbiter's excess of thrust
over weight is 1,050,000 pounds using the 250,000 pound weight estimate.
Acceleration of SRB's and orbiter reduce the amount of this available
to accelerate the ET, so as to more heavily penalize the SRB's.  Therefore,
I conclude, >>>the SSMEs apply more thrust to the ET than do the SRBs,<<<
notwithstanding the fact that they produce only around 15% of the total
thrust.

Notes:
1. That is a truly lousy mass ratio compared with liquid propellant systems.

2. Add the quoted component weights up, and you get 7.66 million pounds.
    Add the thrusts, you get 7.905 million.  The resulting thrust/weight
    of 1.03 sounds small: perhaps due to rounding somewhere, or relieved
    by the propellant burned in the mains before liftoff.

		    David Smith
		    HP Labs

rjnoe@uniq.UUCP (Roger J. Noe) (05/26/88)

> In article <1934@ssc-vax.UUCP>, eder@ssc-vax.UUCP (Dani Eder) writes:
> > I believe you are misinterpreting what is pushing on whom in the
> > Shuttle stack.  The majority of the mass of the Shuttle core,
> > which is the Orbiter plus External Tank, is the oxygen in the ET.
> > This comprises about 1.4 million pounds of the total 1.8 million
> > pounds in the core at liftoff.

So far this looks pretty accurate.  At launch the OV is something like 165000
lbs. with no cargo.  The LO2 in the ET is about 1.33e6 lbs., the LH2 is
220000 lbs. and the ET itself is another 78000 lbs. for a total of 1.63e6 lbs.
in the full ET.  That does bring the ET+OV weight to about 1.8e6 lbs. at
liftoff.

> >                                                   The push
> > from the SSMEs represents about 15% of the total thrust of the
> > Shuttle early in the flight.

I think comparing the sea-level thrust values (11.88e6 N per SRB, and a
nominal 1.668e6 N per SSME) and assuming the SSMEs are running at 104% of
nominal, you get more like 18% of the total thrust shortly after liftoff
as being due to the three SSMEs, with the remainder due to the two SRBs.
Good enough for government work. (For those of you who haven't yet
learned metric, those thrust values are 2.67e6 lbs. per SRB and nominal
375000 lbs. per SSME, at sea level.)

> >                                  The push from the SSMEs is transferred
> > into the skin of the hydrogen tank through the connecting
> > struts in the aft portion of the Orbiter.
> >
> > With the present design of the ball and socket joint, there is
> > no way to separate the SRBs as long as they are firing, they
> > simply apply too much force (3 million pounds each) to separate
> > the joint.

This sounds right.  Since the gross weight of an SRB at launch is 1.287e6 lbs.
and the whole stack is accelerating at about 0.48g as the stack clears the
tower, each SRB exerts a force of about 767000 lbs. (3.4e6 N) on the ET.
The OV, with about half the allowable cargo, weighs almost 200000 lbs.
and exerts a force of around 877000 lbs. (3.9e6 N) on the ET given the 0.48g
upward acceleration value.  Until the SRB thrust decreases greatly (and the
SSME thrust increases; vacuum thrust per SSME is almost 100000 lbs. greater
than their sea-level thrust) the ET and SRBs are inseparable, barring an
accident.

In article <4712@hplabsb.UUCP>, dsmith@hplabsb.UUCP (David Smith) writes:
> You apparently gathered that I was talking about separating SRBs from ET.
> By referring to "the orbiter ... pushing forward on the tank", I was
> addressing the detachment of the orbiter from the ET/SRB combination
> with the SRB's still firing.

I feel that a certain Monty Python/Holy Grail quote about swallows and
coconuts is about to become relevant. :-)

> Thank you for the weight of the core (orbiter+ET).  Now let's look at
> weights of the SRB's.  According to AW&ST, each SRB weighs 1.82 million
> pounds empty, and is loaded with 1.11 million pounds of propellant (note 1).
> Each SRB produces 3.3 million pounds of thrust at liftoff, "throttles" down

AW&ST said this?  My figures (which I admit are somewhat old, but at least
they're ballpark correct) are 181000 lbs. for an inert SRB.  The amount of
reactant looks about right; I show a gross liftoff weight of 1.287e6 lbs.
But can that thrust be right?  I've got 2.67e6 lbs. sea-level thrust per
SRB.

> to 2.4 million for max-Q, and back up to 2.7 million afterward (note 2).
> That's a thrust/weight ratio of 1.13 for the SRBs at liftoff, or 1.48 near
> burnout, vs. 5.22 for the orbiter (if I wildly guess its weight at 250,000
> pounds).  Clearly, the orbiter is pushing forward on the tank.

I get more like 2.08 thrust/weight per SRB at launch and 5.85 for the OV.
No matter; all three propulsive components are exerting forces on the ET.

> At liftoff, each SRB's excess of thrust over weight comes to 370,000
> pounds, or 740,000 pounds for the pair.  The orbiter's excess of thrust
> over weight is 1,050,000 pounds using the 250,000 pound weight estimate.
> Acceleration of SRB's and orbiter reduce the amount of this available
> to accelerate the ET, so as to more heavily penalize the SRB's.  Therefore,
> I conclude, >>>the SSMEs apply more thrust to the ET than do the SRBs,<<<
> notwithstanding the fact that they produce only around 15% of the total
> thrust.

This is the danger of believing your numbers when your intuition tells you
otherwise.  The excess of thrust over weight is more like 1.38e6 lbs. per
SRB, 975000 lbs. for the OV with some cargo and 104% SSMEs, at liftoff.
Yes, the OV does exert a greater force on the ET than does either of the
SRBs, but *not* more than both of the SRBs!  It has to be almost equally
shared.  My figures show about 36% of the net force on the ET coming from
the OV with 32% from each of the SRBs.  Of course, it's a dynamic relationship
and I'm certain it changes considerably as the stack gains altitude.

> Notes:
> 1. That is a truly lousy mass ratio compared with liquid propellant systems.
>
> 2. Add the quoted component weights up, and you get 7.66 million pounds.
>     Add the thrusts, you get 7.905 million.  The resulting thrust/weight
>     of 1.03 sounds small: perhaps due to rounding somewhere, or relieved
>     by the propellant burned in the mains before liftoff.

The total weight of the STS at liftoff is more like 4.4e6 lbs. and the total
thrust is around 6.5e6 lbs. for a ratio of 1.48, which gives the initial
acceleration of +0.48g I mentioned earlier.  This improves very substantially
as the launch progresses; it's nearer to 2.5 thrust/weight (or better) as
you get near SRB separation, and the OV+ET combination gets up to 4.0 as
you near MECO.

Now back to the original question:
> > In article <4706@hplabsb.UUCP>, dsmith@hplabsb.UUCP (David Smith) writes:
> > > True, but since the orbiter is pushing forward on the tank, and not
> > > vice-versa, might it be feasible to throttle down the SSME's to the
> > > point that the loads are manageable?

The fact that the OV is exerting a net force on the ET is not the problem.
Consider what would happen if you tried separating the orbiter vehicle
from the rest of the system while everything's running.  First you have to
shut down the SSME's and disconnect the OV from the ET propellant lines.
In that time, all the thrust is from the SRB's and both the ET and the OV
are dead weight.  If about one fourth the ET fuel is gone, the ET weighs a
total of about 1.24e6 lbs.  The OV still weighs about 200000 lbs. and the SRBs
may be down to about 460000 lbs. each.  So the total weight of the stack is
down to about 2.36e6 lbs. with a thrust of around 6.2e6 lbs. for a thrust
to weight ratio of about 2.63.  Cutting off the SSMEs loses around 1.2e6 lbs.
thrust for a ratio of 2.12, a loss of about 0.5g.  If this cutoff takes 0.1
second, that's a change of 5g/sec.  Now what happens when you detach the OV
from the ET?  The OV suddenly loses another 2.12g of acceleration!  If this
separation takes 0.1 second, that's 21g/sec!  The ET+SRBs combination would
gain about 0.19g in this same time from the dropped mass.  I think we've
already seen what happens when you subject the STS to such rates of change
in acceleration while it's flying:  the ET disintegrates, the SRBs fly off,
and the OV becomes something you stuff down an abandoned missile silo.
--
	Roger Noe			ihnp4!att!uniq!rjnoe
	Fox Valley Software		ihnp4!nwuxf!rjnoe

dsmith@hplabsb.UUCP (David Smith) (06/01/88)

In article <478@uniq.UUCP>, rjnoe@uniq.UUCP (Roger J. Noe) writes:
> In article <4712@hplabsb.UUCP>, dsmith@hplabsb.UUCP (David Smith) writes:
> > Thank you for the weight of the core (orbiter+ET).  Now let's look at
> > weights of the SRB's.  According to AW&ST, each SRB weighs 1.82 million
> > pounds empty, and is loaded with 1.11 million pounds of propellant (note 1).
> > Each SRB produces 3.3 million pounds of thrust at liftoff, "throttles" down
>
> AW&ST said this?  My figures (which I admit are somewhat old, but at least
> they're ballpark correct) are 181000 lbs. for an inert SRB.  The amount of
> reactant looks about right; I show a gross liftoff weight of 1.287e6 lbs.
> But can that thrust be right?  I've got 2.67e6 lbs. sea-level thrust per
> SRB.

AW&ST said this in their coverage of Challenger's problem with the SRB,
Feb. 10, 1986, p.55.  If they messed up and slipped a decimal point on
the weight, it wasn't in final printing, as they spelled out "million".
Actually, I'd prefer to believe AW&ST made a mistake (it wouldn't be the
first) than that the SRB is such a stupid design (ahh, well, ...)

I'm less willing to believe they made a mistake on the thrust, since they
made a point about performance improvements introduced on the 8th shuttle
flight that raised liftoff thrust by 200,000 lb. from 3.1e6 to 3.3e6.

> Now back to the original question:
>
> The fact that the OV is exerting a net force on the ET is not the problem.
> Consider what would happen if you tried separating the orbiter vehicle
> from the rest of the system while everything's running.  First you have to
> shut down the SSME's and disconnect the OV from the ET propellant lines.
> In that time, all the thrust is from the SRB's and both the ET and the OV
> are dead weight.

I had in mind chopping the attachments and fuel lines while the engines
were still running:  just let them shut down when the propellant in the
pipes runs out in a few seconds.

I have continued this topic as the devil's advocate, but will probably
not say more.

		David Smith
		HP Labs

DMeyer@mips.csc.ti.com (Dane Meyer) (06/03/88)

  While it may be true that SRB/ET - OV separation during liftoff
realisticly will never be developed due to one or more of; technical
complexity, expense, or politics, I find this discussion quite
informative and interesting.  I've been forwarding your messages to
Ken Scofield who really asked the original question and sent me this
note regarding Roger's comments.

Dane Meyer  (Texas Instruments, Dallas)

ARPA/CSnet: dmeyer@csc.ti.com
UUCP:       {convex!smu im4u texsun pollux ihnp4!infoswx rice}!ti-csl!dmeyer

>From: rjnoe@uniq.UUCP (Roger J. Noe)
>Subject: Re: Orbiter/SRB separation
>
> ... (much text on thrusts and weights deleted; I'll assume it's correct)
>
>The fact that the OV is exerting a net force on the ET is not the problem.
>Consider what would happen if you tried separating the orbiter vehicle
>from the rest of the system while everything's running.  First you have to
>shut down the SSME's and disconnect the OV from the ET propellant lines.
>In that time, all the thrust is from the SRB's and both the ET and the OV
>are dead weight.

Why?  The SSME's *are* throttlable, and there is some on-board fuel which
normally is used for final insertion into orbit, as well as the subsequent
de-orbit burn.  So, the SSME's could be throttled down to some suitable
level, and be allowed to burn while the disconnect/separation is accomplished.

>		   If about one fourth the ET fuel is gone, the ET weighs a
>total of about 1.24e6 lbs.  The OV still weighs about 200000 lbs. and the SRBs
>may be down to about 460000 lbs. each.  So the total weight of the stack is
>down to about 2.36e6 lbs. with a thrust of around 6.2e6 lbs. for a thrust
>to weight ratio of about 2.63.  Cutting off the SSMEs loses around 1.2e6 lbs.
>thrust for a ratio of 2.12, a loss of about 0.5g.  If this cutoff takes 0.1
>second, that's a change of 5g/sec.  Now what happens when you detach the OV
>from the ET?  The OV suddenly loses another 2.12g of acceleration!  If this
>separation takes 0.1 second, that's 21g/sec!  The ET+SRBs combination would
>gain about 0.19g in this same time from the dropped mass.

So What?  What you've described is the derivative of acceleration (known
as "jerk") which, in this context, I don't think particularly matters.  As I
understand the Challenger situation, the thing that wiped it out were the
aerodynamic forces which were imposed on it by the sudden change in flight
path (i.e., it was thrown askew by the exploding ET).  As long as the various
components separate cleanly, and don't make any extremely radical changes in
relation to flight path, I see no reason why the OV and ET/SRB (as separate
units) couldn't stay intact.  Besides, if the SSME's were still burning, at
least at partial throttle as I suggested above, the "jerk" would be greatly
reduced (if it matters at all), and the OV could quickly accelerate away
from the impending ET/SRB fireball (or whatever).  All the thrust-to-weight
ratios I've seen discussed indicate that the OV could easily "out-run" the
ET/SRB.  And by the way, although the current connecting struts can't be
released while engines are burning, I can't imagine that it would be very
difficult to redesign them so that they could be released while under load.

             *
            / \
       |---/---\---|            Ken Scofield    C-9355
       |   Gone    |            Hewlett-Packard, ICO
       |           |            1020 NE Circle Blvd.
       |  Jumpin'  |            Corvallis, OR  97330
       |-----------|            Phone:  (503)757-2000
			{ucbvax!hplabs, harpo, ogcvax}!hp-pcd!kas

lwall@devvax.UUCP (06/04/88)

In article <50665@ti-csl.CSNET> DMeyer@mips.csc.ti.com (Dane Meyer) writes:
: Why?  The SSME's *are* throttlable, and there is some on-board fuel which
: normally is used for final insertion into orbit, as well as the subsequent
: de-orbit burn.  So, the SSME's could be throttled down to some suitable
: level, and be allowed to burn while the disconnect/separation is accomplished.

No doubt there will be others who say this, but the on-board fuel is
hypergolic and is not fed to the SSME's.  If you look carefully you'll see
a couple extra nozzles sticking out the back.  The SSME's must be shut
down before separation or their various components will diverge when the first
bubble comes through and the turbos suddenly have nothing to slow them down.

Larry Wall
lwall@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov

> ... As long as the various
> components separate cleanly, and don't make any extremely radical changes in
> relation to flight path, I see no reason why the OV and ET/SRB (as separate
> units) couldn't stay intact...

As I've mentioned before, the aerodynamics of this sort of separation
process are not trivial and should not be assumed to be trouble-free.
Military aircraft are tested very carefully for proper separation of
missiles, drop tanks, etc.

> Besides, if the SSME's were still burning, at
> least at partial throttle as I suggested above, the "jerk" would be greatly
> reduced (if it matters at all), and the OV could quickly accelerate away
> from the impending ET/SRB fireball (or whatever)...

Uh, using what for fuel?  The orbiter has no built-in tanks for the SSMEs,
only for the low-thrust OMS.  The SSMEs would have to be shut down either
before or at the instant of separation.  Once it separates, the orbiter is
a glider; the ET/SRB combination will quickly accelerate away from it,
potentially exposing it to the SRB exhaust.  (Those who still think this
is a trivial issue should consider that rocket engines have been used
experimentally for drilling tunnels through hard rock; close-range exposure
to the exhaust of a big rocket engine is likely to be fatal to something
as flimsy as a shuttle orbiter).
--
"For perfect safety... sit on a fence|  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
and watch the birds." --Wilbur Wright| {ihnp4,decvax,uunet!mnetor}!utzoo!henry

david@smythsun.JPL.NASA.GOV (David Smyth) (06/07/88)

In article <2170@devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> lwall@devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Larry Wall) writes:
>In article <50665@ti-csl.CSNET> DMeyer@mips.csc.ti.com (Dane Meyer) writes:
>: Why?  The SSME's *are* throttlable, and there is some on-board fuel which
>: normally is used for final insertion into orbit, as well as the subsequent
>: de-orbit burn.  So, the SSME's could be throttled down to some suitable
>: level, and be allowed to burn while the disconnect/separation is accomplished.
>
>No doubt there will be others who say this, but the on-board fuel is
>hypergolic and is not fed to the SSME's.  If you look carefully you'll see
>a couple extra nozzles sticking out the back.  The SSME's must be shut
>down before separation or their various components will diverge when the first
>bubble comes through and the turbos suddenly have nothing to slow them down.

So what if the SSMEs disintegrate?  We are talking about an emergency,
where the current result would be the loss of the entire vehicle.  As
long as the airframe is not damaged by their disintegration, it may still
be an acceptable abort procedure.

It sounds like it would work to throttle back gradually, and when the
SSMEs are pushing as hard as the SRBs on the ET, and therefore the
loads on the connecting struts are minimized, that perhaps the connections
could be blown.  The SSMEs would then breakup, and the Orbiter could
glide down, possibly with the crew parachuting out since ditching is
not survivable.

In article <1988Jun5.025213.23613@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>> [ Theory: reduce throttle on SSMEs, glide away from ET/SRB]
> [ needs to be carefully investigated, aerodynamics are non-trivial, &
>   Orbiter will have no power except a little possible from OMS,
>   so could easily be fried by SRBs]

OK:
1)  Need to see if structural loads of ET/SRB separation could
be kept safe by throttling back SSMEs and precise seperation,

2)  Need to see if Orbiter can glide away from uncontrolled ET/SRB
to avoid SRB exhaust.

3)  If gliding won't work, how much thrust would it take?  Remember
Apollos, Geminis, and Mercurys needed an escape tower to do it,
maybe the Orbiter needs a special thruster.  Or, perhaps the
RCS and OMS could do it (I doubt it) or be made more powerful to do it.

Can anybody model this and see if its feasible?

lwall@devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Larry Wall) (06/07/88)

In article <2198@devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> david@smythsun.JPL.NASA.GOV (David Smyth) writes:
: So what if the SSMEs disintegrate?  We are talking about an emergency,
: where the current result would be the loss of the entire vehicle.  As
: long as the airframe is not damaged by their disintegration, it may still
: be an acceptable abort procedure.

Maybe.  But disintegrating turbos make lots of shrapnel.  And there's a lot
of other things back there that are critical to controlled flight.  Like
the control surfaces, the hydraulics to them, and particularly the APUs
to power the hydraulics.  And some of the tanks of hypergolics that fuel
the APUs.  If those go, you can probably kiss the whole back end goodbye.

If we're going to plan a disintegration, it seems to me that we've already
got a good idea how an orbiter breaks up.  Revive the idea of hanging
a parachute on the cabin, but don't worry about the pyrotechnics to separate
it from the rest of the orbiter--they appear to be unnecessary, since
aerodynamical forces will do the job nicely for you.  The parachute doesn't
even necessarily have to slow down the cabin enough for a survivable landing.
As long as the crew has sufficient oxygen to get to bail-out altitudes,
and a cabin stabilized by a small drogue chute, that should be sufficient.

There's another thing: it may not be possible for the orbiter to pull
away from the stack at all.  In the Navy they discovered that they have to
be REAL careful about running two ships next to each other, because the
passage between the ships makes an excellent venturi, and sucks the two
ships together.  It may be that the SRBs *must* be peeled off sideways first
(note that they have tractor rockets) in order to reduce the aerodynamic
cross-section of the stack, before the orbiter can separate.  Also, the ET
is ordinarily dumped at a much higher altitude where the wind between the
orbiter and the stack will be considerably less.

On the other hand, I may be all wet.

greg@proxftl.UUCP (Gregory N. Hullender) (06/13/88)

In article <478@uniq.UUCP>, rjnoe@uniq.UUCP (Roger J. Noe) writes:

> The fact that the OV is exerting a net force on the ET is not the problem.
> Consider what would happen if you tried separating the orbiter vehicle
> from the rest of the system while everything's running.  First you have to
> shut down the SSME's and disconnect the OV from the ET propellant lines.
> In that time, all the thrust is from the SRB's and both the ET and the OV
> are dead weight.  If about one fourth the ET fuel is gone, the ET weighs a
> total of about 1.24e6 lbs.  The OV still weighs about 200000 lbs. and the SRBs
> may be down to about 460000 lbs. each.  So the total weight of the stack is
> down to about 2.36e6 lbs. with a thrust of around 6.2e6 lbs. for a thrust
> to weight ratio of about 2.63.  Cutting off the SSMEs loses around 1.2e6 lbs.
> thrust for a ratio of 2.12, a loss of about 0.5g.  If this cutoff takes 0.1
> second, that's a change of 5g/sec.  Now what happens when you detach the OV
> from the ET?  The OV suddenly loses another 2.12g of acceleration!  If this
> separation takes 0.1 second, that's 21g/sec!  The ET+SRBs combination would
> gain about 0.19g in this same time from the dropped mass.  I think we've
> already seen what happens when you subject the STS to such rates of change
> in acceleration while it's flying:  the ET disintegrates, the SRBs fly off,
> and the OV becomes something you stuff down an abandoned missile silo.

This article was great up to this point.  Unfortunately, the comments about
rate of change of acceleration are wrong; even if the system INSTANTLY
stopped accelerating ALTOGETHER (experiencing an infinite rate of change in
acceleration) that wouldn't stress the system.  INCREASING acceleration
can damage things, but it doesn't matter how fast or how slowly the
increase happens, although how long it lasts could be important.

What destroyed the Challenger wasn't change in acceleration; first one of
the O-rings burned through (about 120 degrees of arc).  Then strong
high-altitude winds buffeted the vehicle and allowed a plume of hot gasses
to leak out where the O-Ring had been. This plume touched off the ET, which
detonated with the energy of a small nuclear weapon.  The orbiter was then
exposed to AERODYNAMIC forces of more than 20 g's, and it was those forces
(not the explosion) that broke it into pieces.

That problem with separating the orbiter during launch is still there,
though; even if you used something like explosive bolts to accomplish the
separation, how do you make the orbiter survive the aerodynamic forces?
--
------
My opinions are not necessarily those of my employer.

	Greg Hullender  allegra!novavax!proxftl!greg

dep@cat.cmu.edu (David Pugh) (06/16/88)

In article <308@proxftl.UUCP> greg@proxftl.UUCP (Gregory N. Hullender) writes:
>That problem with separating the orbiter during launch is still there,
>though; even if you used something like explosive bolts to accomplish the
>separation, how do you make the orbiter survive the aerodynamic forces?

Has any consideration been given to using AMROC-type hybird boosters for
the advanced SRBs? Being able to throttle the boosters would seem to
provide numerous saftey advantages. Also, I seem to recall that the
AMROC rockets had a higher Isp than the shuttle SRBs.
--
DAVE BARRY'S 1987 IN REVIEW -- May 17th		David Pugh
    The U.S. Navy frigate Stark is		....!seismo!cmucspt!cat!dep

mears@hpindda.HP.COM (David B. Mears) (06/18/88)

>                             .   .   .    and allowed a plume of hot gasses
> to leak out where the O-Ring had been. This plume touched off the ET, which
> detonated with the energy of a small nuclear weapon.

Wait a minute.  I don't recall seeing anywhere anything published which
said that the exhaust plume directly caused the explosion of the ET.  Where
did you this printed?  It was always my understanding that the plume caused
the lower strut to weaken and break, thus causing the SRB to pivot into the
ET, causing the tanks to rupture, causing the H and O to combine and burn in
the fireball seen on TV (though not exactly an explosion).  Or are we saying
the same thing only with more or less detail?
> --
> ------
> My opinions are not necessarily those of my employer.
>
> 	Greg Hullender  allegra!novavax!proxftl!greg
> ----------

David B. Mears
Hewlett-Packard
Cupertino CA
{hplabs, ihnp4!hpfcla}!hpda!mears

petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) (06/20/88)

In article <3330005@hpindda.HP.COM> mears@hpindda.HP.COM (David B. Mears) writes:
>Wait a minute.  I don't recall seeing anywhere anything published which
>said that the exhaust plume directly caused the explosion of the ET.  Where
>did you this printed?  It was always my understanding that the plume caused
>the lower strut to weaken and break, thus causing the SRB to pivot into the
>ET, causing the tanks to rupture, causing the H and O to combine and burn in
>the fireball seen on TV (though not exactly an explosion).  Or are we saying
>the same thing only with more or less detail?

David: The plume did cause the lower strut to weaken and break, but at the
same time it also burned through the ET causing it to rupture and burn
hydrogen rapidly out the bottom. This caused an instantaneous 20-G force
ramming the top of the H tank into the bottom of the Oxygen tank. At the same
time, the top of the SRB pivoted into the inter-tank area of the ET when the
strut broke. I have the detailed and commented video tapes that discuss this
when they were shown during the Rogers Commission proceedings.

Peter Jarvis........Physio-Control, Redmond, Washington

craig@think.COM (Craig Stanfill) (06/21/88)

>This article was great up to this point.  Unfortunately, the comments about
>rate of change of acceleration are wrong; even if the system INSTANTLY
>stopped accelerating ALTOGETHER (experiencing an infinite rate of change in
>acceleration) that wouldn't stress the system.  INCREASING acceleration
>can damage things, but it doesn't matter how fast or how slowly the
>increase happens, although how long it lasts could be important.

What you are saying here makes sense for static analysis, but you are
completely ignoring system dynamics.  The first thing to do is to straighten
out the terminology in this discussion.  The engines in a spacecraft do
not apply an acceleration, they apply a force.  When engines are turned on or
off, the result is not an instantaneousl change in the acceleration of the
structure, but an instantaneous change in the force applied to
point in that structure.

While the static equilibrium of the structure depends only on the
magnitude of the force, the dynamics of the system very much depend on
how quickly the force is applied.  The problem is that the structure
has massive components connected by elastic elements.  All such
systems are oscilators.  When a force is applied, the entire system
starts oscilating, with the suddenness of force application determining
how energetic these oscilations are.  If the force is applied suddenly
enough, these oscilations may cause structural failure.

A simple thought experiment should suffice to convince you of this.
Suppose you have two bricks, each having a mass of 1 KG, and a spring
that can withstand a tension of just slightly over 1 Newton.  If we
gradually apply a force of 2N to the front brick, the entire assembly
will accelerate at a rate of 1 m/s/s.  If, however, we suddenly apply
a force of 2N to the front brick, then the first brick will accelerate
at a rate of 2 m/s/s, while the rear brick is stationary.  Until the
spring can stretch to the point where it is under a tension of 1N, the
first brick will be accelerating faster than the second.  During this
time, the first brick will acquire a considerably higher velocity than
the second and, because it has momentum, will continue moving faster
for some time.  This will cause the spring to lengthen and, as a
result, will increase the tension on the spring.  The spring will then
break.  If you are uncomfortable with words, work out the differential
equations; they are not terribly complex.

						- Craig Stanfill

john@frog.UUCP (John Woods) (06/24/88)

There has been a lot of discussion about this.  Just to throw more LH on the
fire, I thought I'd quote from the Report of the Presidential Commision on the
Space Shuttle Challenger Accident, Volume 1, page 20-21:

   "The first visual indication that swirling flame from the right
Solid Rocket Booster breached the External Tank was at 64.660 seconds
when there was an abrupt change in the shape and color of the plume.
This indicated that it was mixing with leaking hydrogen from the
External Tank.  Telemetered changes in the hydrogen tank pressurization
confirmed the leak.  Within 45 milliseconds of the breach of the
External Tank, a bright sustained glow developed on the black-tiled
underside of the Challenger between it and the External Tank.
   "Beginning at about 72 seconds, a series of events occurred extremely
rapidly that terminated the flight.  Telemetered data indicate a wide
variety of flight system actions that support the visual evidence of
the photos as the Shuttle struggled futilely against the forces that
were destroying it.
   "At about 72.20 seconds the lower strut linking the Solid Rocket
Booster and the External Tank was severed or pulled away from the
weakened hydrogen tank permitting the right Solid Rocket Booster to
rotate around the upper attachment strut.  This rotation is indicated
by divergent yaw and pitch rates between the left and right Solid
Rocket Boosters.
   "At 73.124 seconds, a circumferential white vapor pattern was
observed blooming from the side of the External Tank bottom dome.
This was the beginning of the structural failure of the hydrogen tank
that culminated in the entire aft dome dropping away.  This released
massive amounts of liquid hydrogen from the tank and created a sudden
forward thrust of about 2.8 million pounds, pushing the hydrogen tank
upward into the intertank structure.  At about the same time, the
rotating right Solid Rocket Booster impacted the intertank structure
and the lower part of the liquid oxygen tank.  These structures
failed at 73.137 seconds as evidenced by the white vapors appearing
in the intertank region.
   "Within milliseconds there was massive, almost explosive, burning
of the hydrogen streaming from the failed tank bottom and the liquid
oxygen breach in the area of the intertank.
   "At this point in its trajectory, while traveling at a Mach number
of 1.92 at an altitude of 46,000 feet, the Challenger was totally
enveloped in the explosive burn.  The Challenger's reaction control
system ruptured and a hypergolic burn of its propellants occurred
as it exited the oxygen-hydrogen flames.  The reddish brown colors
of the hypergolic fuel burns are visible on the edge of the main
fireball.  The Orbiter, under severe aerodynamic loads, broke into
several large sections which emerged from the fireball."

Reading the telemetry report was kind of interesting.  The Challenger
control systems were indeed making a valiant effort to cope with the
bizarre goings on, right up until the radio stopped...
--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, john@frog.UUCP, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw@eddie.mit.edu

	Guns don't kill people; I kill people.