[sci.space.shuttle] Landing site and other info.

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (06/24/88)

In article <1988Jun16.192710.3258@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:

>> Does anyone know which landing site is planned for STS-26?  Will it be
>> Edwards?
>
>The official primary landing site is Edwards for all shuttle flights in
>the immediate future.  There remains the possibility of diversion to
>somewhere like White Sands (which I think is the official backup now)
>or even KSC (third choice due to its highly variable weather) if Edwards
>has unexpected weather problems.

Runway 17 at Edwards AFB is the primary landing site for STS-26.  White
Sands Space Harbor (WSSH) and KSC are the alternate landing sites, with
preference given to WSSH.

Here's some more info straight from the horse's mouth (I have a very
reliable source):

Launch is still officially scheduled for August 22.  The three hour launch
window opens at 13:39 GMT (9:39 EDT).  I have heard rumors that it might
be delayed until the 29th and possibly even later.  The window for the
29th opens at 13:44.  They will be using pad 39B.

Sequence of events:

Event		orbit	MET		Houston time (CDT)
Launch			0:00:00		22nd at  8:39
Post OMS-2	 1	0:00:42		22nd at  9:21
TDRS deploy	 5	0:06:14		22nd at 14:53
Post RCS-1	 5	0:06:15		22nd at 14:54  --these are associated
Post OMS-3	 5	0:06:29		22nd at 15:08  --with the deploy
TDRS injection	 6A	0:07:14		22nd at 15:53
Deorbit		64	3:23:56		26th at  8:45
Landing		65	4:00:56		26th at  9:45

Mission Elapsed Time (MET) is written as days:hours:minutes.  I believe
that orbit "6A" means that half of the orbit which is north of the equator.
And for those who don't know:
TDRS = Tracking and Data Relay Sattelite (the main payload)
OMS  = Orbiter Maneuvering System
RCS  = Reaction Control System

Backup deployment opportunities for the payload are scheduled on orbits 6,
15, 16, and 17.

The only other payload in the bay is the OEX Autonomous Supporting
Instrumentation System (OASIS) and some mid-deck stuff.

I also have a list of the abort sites, but I won't bother listing them
because they won't need them, right?!?  RIGHT!  (positive thinking,
right?).

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			Houston, Texas
			<phil@Rice.edu>

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (06/24/88)

I must have been semi-conscious when I posted that last article.

In article <1552@kalliope.rice.edu> phil@Rice.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:
>TDRS = Tracking and Data Relay Sattelite (the main payload)

That, of course, should have been "Satellite"
>The only other payload in the bay is the OEX Autonomous Supporting
>Instrumentation System (OASIS) and some mid-deck stuff.

And, of course, the mid-deck stuff isn't in the payload bay because
it's in the mid-deck.  Sorry about that.