[sci.space.shuttle] Which sat. will shuttle be monitored on?

hjp@bambam.UUCP (Howard J. Postley) (06/28/88)

Anybody know which satellite NASA will be monitoring the
shuttle on for the upcomming mission?  I'm talking about
TV monitoring.  They used to use F1 (Satcom 3?) but now
they have their own (I think).  Anyway, I enjoy watching
the 'nauts bounce around and would like to know where to
turn my dish to.

Thanks,
//Howard
--
Howard Postley      usenet:  uunet!bambam!hjp
On Word             phone:   +1 213 399 7733

mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Smithwick) (06/28/88)

In article <8@bambam.UUCP> hjp@bambam.UUCP (Howard J. Postley) writes:
>Anybody know which satellite NASA will be monitoring the
>shuttle on for the upcomming mission?  I'm talking about
>TV monitoring.  They used to use F1 (Satcom 3?) but now
>they have their own (I think).

They've been ensconced on Satcom 2/xpndr 13 for the past 4 years or so.
In the "early" days, they would bounce all around, popping up on
different, and sometimes multiple satillites each mission.

The Utah SRB test was broadcast there, and the Discovery rollover. I
expect the rollout to be transmitted also, that should be tomorrow I think.

--
			   *** mike (starship janitor) smithwick ***
"Being a dwarf does have it's shortcomings"