[sci.space.shuttle] NASA news

khayo@sonia.math.ucla.edu (Eric Behr) (05/19/88)

                Current NASA News Releases

TPTA Status Report  May 16, 1988

The firing of the Space Shuttle solid rocket motor transient
pressure test article (TPTA) 2.2 at the Marshall Space Flight
Center is scheduled to be conducted Tuesday, May 17 at 1 p.m.
(CDT).  The test, originally scheduled for May 9, was delayed
while three vent port plugs were replaced on the test article and
a leak check performed.

STUDY GROUP ISSUES REPORT ON SPACE STATION RESEARCH OPPORTUNITIES

May 16, 1988
RELEASE:  88-64

     A group of scientists and researchers has submitted its
final report to NASA, concluding that "full implementation of a
'quick is beautiful' philosophy into NASA's operational thinking"
about Space Station utilization "would be an important step in
revitalizing this nation's space research effort."

     Chaired by Dr. David C. Black, chief scientist for space
research at NASA's Ames Research Center, Mountain View, Calif.,
the study group examined ways the Space Station could be used to
conduct small-to-moderate size space experiments that could be
developed quickly and inexpensively and which, in some cases,
need relatively rapid initial deployment and/or reflight.

     Consisting of individuals from NASA, industry, the National
Science Foundation and the National Institutes of Health, the
study group recently presented its conclusions and
recommendations to NASA's Office of Space Station.

     "The group has done an outstanding job in studying ways to
use the Space Station to make space more accessible to
researchers from our university and corporate laboratories,
something which is of critical importance to this nation's future
in space," said James Odom, associate administrator for the Space
Station.  "We will do our utmost to see that the group's
recommendations are implemented."

     Copies of the report are available in the NASA Headquarters
Newsroom and the Space Station Public Affairs Office.

NOTE TO EDITORS: STS-26 SHUTTLE PAYLOAD MEDIA BRIEFING SCHEDULED

May 17, 1988

     A media briefing will be held May 19 on the tracking and
data relay satellite (TDRS-C) to be deployed from Space Shuttle
Discovery during the STS-26 mission in August.  The briefing will
originate from the NASA Kennedy Space Center, Fla., at 1 p.m. EDT
and will be carried live on NASA Select television (Satcom F2R, transponder 13,
frequency 3960 MHz, audio 6.8 MHz, 72 degrees west longitude).
Metropolitan Washington media representatives can participate in this briefing
from the NASA Headquarters 6th floor auditorium, 400 Md. Ave.,
S.W.

NOTE TO EDITORS: SHUTTLE STATUS BRIEFING SET FOR MAY 19

May 16, 1988

     Radm. Richard Truly, NASA Associate Administrator for Space
Flight, will brief the press on the status of Shuttle recovery on
Thursday, May 19, 1988, at 3:00 p.m. EDT in the sixth floor
auditorium at 400 Maryland Ave., SW.  The briefing will be carried
live on NASA Select television (Satcom F2R, transponder 13,
frequency 3960 MHz, audio 6.8 MHz, 72 degrees west longitude).
Possible additional participants will be determined later.

     This will be Adm. Truly's first opportunity to comment on
Shuttle program status following his management council meeting
Wednesday, May 18, and his update briefing to NASA Administrator
Dr. James Fletcher on Thursday morning.
                                                       Eric

khayo@sonia.math.ucla.edu (Eric Behr) (06/03/88)

I think that our college journalists should take a look
at this (third paragraph from end). It may be fun...

EDITORS NOTE:  NASA ACCREDITATION REQUESTS FOR STS-26 MISSION

June 2, 1988

     NASA is accepting accreditation requests for news media to
cover the Space Shuttle Discovery mission (STS-26) currently
targeted for launch in August.

     Requests for accreditation must be made by a supervisory
official other than the applicant on company letterhead, clearly
indicating the assignment (reporter, photographer, technician,
etc.) and social security number of each individual.  Freelance
writers and photographers must offer proof of assignment or
evidence of professional activity.  The accreditation will be
valid for all NASA news centers.

     Requests should be submitted no later than 30 days before
launch to:

               NASA, John F. Kennedy Space Center
               PA-PIB  Accreditation
               Kennedy Space Center, Fla.   32899

     Please indicate from which NASA location(s) you plan to
cover the mission.  The news center will open at Kennedy 5 days
prior to launch, at the Johnson Space Center, Houston, 3 days
before launch and at the Dryden Flight Research Facility,
Edwards, Calif., 1 day prior to launch.

     NASA ground rules for newspersons covering the mission are:

        o  NASA can make no travel or housing arrangements.

        o  Only working newspersons will be accredited at the
news centers.  Publishers and other news and advertising
executives will not be accredited.  These individuals should
apply to NASA Public Services Division (LP), NASA Headquarters,
Washington, D.C.  20546.

        o  Friends, dependents or relatives not covering the
mission will not be accommodated.  Special arrangements can be
made only at the Kennedy news center for dependents to view the
launch at a special dependent's site.

        o  No one under 16 years of age will be allowed at the
press site under any circumstances.  Violation of this rule will
result in cancellation of press site privileges for responsible
parties.

        o  Philatelic publications must meet the criteria of
general publications or be national publications of recognized
philatelic organizations.  Representatives of catalogs,
newsletters, local clubs or profit seeking projects will not be
accredited.  Conducting philatelic business, other than
reporting, will not be tolerated.

        o  College news media are limited to two accredited
correspondents.

        o  You must present your letter of acceptance and a photo
identification to obtain a news badge at the appropriate
center.

        o  Violation of the rules will result in the loss of
press badges and press site privileges.

                                                       Eric

jay@ncspm.ncsu.edu (Jay C. Smith) (06/06/88)

In article <1117@thumper.bellcore.com> karn@thumper.bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn)
writes:
>I've noticed in the NASA news reporting that they have reverted to the
>original system for numbering shuttle flights (STS-26, STS-27, etc).

I always supposed that they switched to the "51-L" system to avoid an
STS-13.  Notice that the switch occurred after STS-11, I believe.  Now
that they're safely past 13 and since there has been a break in shuttle
activity they can switch back to the old method.

:-), sort of.

Jay C. Smith                    uucp:     ...!mcnc!ncsuvx!ncspm!jay
Domain:	jay@ncspm.ncsu.edu      internet: jay%ncspm@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu

roy@isieng.UUCP (Roy Wells) (06/15/88)

Does anyone know which landing site is planned for STS-26?  Will it be
Edwards?

> Does anyone know which landing site is planned for STS-26?  Will it be
> Edwards?

The official primary landing site is Edwards for all shuttle flights in
the immediate future.  There remains the possibility of diversion to
somewhere like White Sands (which I think is the official backup now)
or even KSC (third choice due to its highly variable weather) if Edwards
has unexpected weather problems.
--
Man is the best computer we can      |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
put aboard a spacecraft. --Von Braun | {ihnp4,decvax,uunet!mnetor}!utzoo!henry

khayo@sonia.math.ucla.edu (Eric Behr) (06/29/88)

Today is my last active day on the net. I'm off to
a new location/job etc., where access will be uncertain.
I won't be posting the NASA stuff any more; another
'volunteer' has to be found, if there's still interest.

Thank you all for making life more interesting.

GEnie mail: EJ.BEHR (checked occasionally)
Compu$erve: 76545,2646 (even less often)
                                                       Eric

yee@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee) (07/01/88)

I see that Eric is leaving the net, and with him, the posting of NASA news.
(We'll miss you, Eric!).  If no one else volunteers for the job, I could
arrange to have the news put on the net from here at Ames.  Anyone object?
Anyone care?
							-Peter Yee
							yee@ames.arc.nasa.gov
							ames!yee

hhd0@bunny.UUCP (Horace Dediu) (07/02/88)

In article <11116@ames.arc.nasa.gov>, yee@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee) writes:

> I see that Eric is leaving the net, and with him, the posting of NASA news.
> (We'll miss you, Eric!).  If no one else volunteers for the job, I could
> arrange to have the news put on the net from here at Ames.  Anyone object?
> Anyone care?
> 							-Peter Yee
> 							yee@ames.arc.nasa.gov
> 							ames!yee

Hear, hear.  Keep up the good work.  Thank you.

lindsay@dscatl.UUCP (Lindsay Cleveland) (07/02/88)

In article <11116@ames.arc.nasa.gov>, yee@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee) writes:

> I see that Eric is leaving the net, and with him, the posting of NASA news.
> (We'll miss you, Eric!).  If no one else volunteers for the job, I could
> arrange to have the news put on the net from here at Ames.  Anyone object?
> Anyone care?

I shall second the thought about missing Eric.  His yeoman service
has been greatly appreciated.

Peter...thanks for offering your services.  I *do* care and I
*don't* object!  Having been with NASA at Cape Canaveral during the
exciting 1960's, my interest in Space has not flagged in the
intervening years.

Cheers,
  Lindsay

Lindsay Cleveland         Digital Systems Co.   Atlanta, Ga
  gatech!dscatl!lindsay     (404) 497-1902
                         (U.S. Mail:  PO Box 1140, Duluth, GA  30136)

irwin@m.cs.uiuc.edu (07/05/88)

Peter, I feel that it would be a serious loss to the net to not
get the NASA news. You would be doing a great service to all who
are interested (as myself) to fill in for Eric, if no one else
steps forward.

Thanks to you for the offer.