[sci.space.shuttle] Name for New Shuttle

rcpilz@ablnc.ATT.COM (Robert C. Pilz) (07/13/88)

I have an idea for the name of the new shuttle:
Bounty

It was a sea vessel. Although, it was the HMS Bounty, I don't
think that that is a limitation. I think the letter B is
a good pick since A, C, D & E are already used. Since
nobody liked Beagle, look at some of the other B's:
Bismark
Bon Homme Richard
Bonefish
Biloxi

Maybe re-use of the letter C as in Constitution.....

R. C. Pilz
AT&T Orlando, FL

dsmith@hplabsb.UUCP (David Smith) (07/14/88)

In article <538@ablnc.ATT.COM>, rcpilz@ablnc.ATT.COM (Robert C. Pilz) writes:
> Maybe re-use of the letter C as in Constitution.....

Fascinating.  Constitution was to be the name of the atmospheric
test machine, before the Trekkies prevailed upon Pres. Ford to rename
it Enterprise.
--

			David Smith
			HP Labs

tneff@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Neff) (07/19/88)

In article <4816@hplabsb.UUCP> dsmith@hplabsb.UUCP (David Smith) writes:
>In article <538@ablnc.ATT.COM>, rcpilz@ablnc.ATT.COM (Robert C. Pilz) writes:
>> Maybe re-use of the letter C as in Constitution.....
>
>Fascinating.  Constitution was to be the name of the atmospheric
>test machine, before the Trekkies prevailed upon Pres. Ford to rename
>it Enterprise.

And don't forget that 1989 is the bicentennial of the US Constitution.
Might the coincidence be just too much to ignore?

--
Tom Neff			UUCP: ...!cmcl2!phri!dasys1!tneff
	"None of your toys	CIS: 76556,2536	       MCI: TNEFF

pete@tcom.stc.co.uk (Peter Kendell) (07/21/88)

	There's only one 'B' name guaranteed to appeal to the
	US political establishment -

		B I M B O ! ! !

|		  Peter Kendell <pete@tcom.stc.co.uk>	        	   |
|				...{uunet!}mcvax!ukc!stc!pete		   |

dant@mrloog.LA.TEK.COM (Dan Tilque;1893;92-101;) (07/24/88)

Peter Kendell writes:

>	There's only one 'B' name guaranteed to appeal to the
>	US political establishment -
>
>		B I M B O ! ! !

Only if Gary Hart is elected.  How about "Budget Deficit" as a shuttle
name.  And we can call the station, the "Boondoggle".

---
Dan Tilque	--	dant@twaddl.LA.TEK.COM

	"When I die, I'm leaving my body to science-fiction."
				-- Steve Wright