[sci.space.shuttle] Shuttle engine firing date?

klr@hadron.UUCP (Kurt L. Reisler) (07/24/88)

Does anyone know when (if) the test firing of the shuttle main engines
is scheduled for?  As I get NASA Select broadcasts on my local cable, I
would like to be able to set up a tape and record the testing.

Thanks in advance.

 Kurt Reisler (703) 359-6100
 UNISIG Chairman, DECUS US Chapter                       | Hadron, Inc.
 ..{uunet|sundc|rlgvax|netxcom|decuac}!hadron!klr        | 9990 Lee Highway
 Sysop, Fido 109/74  The Bear's Den   (703) 671-0598     | Suite 481
 Sysop, Fido 109/483 The Pot of Gold  (703) 359-6549     | Fairfax, VA 22030

mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Smithwick) (07/25/88)

[]

In article <750@hadron.UUCP> klr@hadron.UUCP (Kurt L. Reisler) writes:
>Does anyone know when (if) the test firing of the shuttle main engines
>is scheduled for?  As I get NASA Select broadcasts on my local cable, I
>would like to be able to set up a tape and record the testing.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
> Kurt Reisler (703) 359-6100

The Flight-Readiness-Firing (FRF) is currently scheduled for this coming Thursday, July 28,
at 7:30 am Eastern time. The coverage will start at T-90 minutes, or 6:00 AM. There will be
a full-fledged "launch" commentary, and multi-camera replays "just like the real thing".
At about T+4 hours there will be the post-FRF news conference.

On July 27 at 11:00 Eastern (10:00 Central :-) is the pre-FRF news conference.

For mid-August, there is scheduled a 56 hour hi-fidelity mission sim (like the one in
"48 Hours"). It >> may << be on NASA Select. They are still discussing it. Since Vandenburg
and Kennedy have something to do with it, we may be able to see this one.

On Aug. 29 is a full-day set of STS-26 news briefings. They'll be covering both the mission
details and modifications made to the spacecraft. It is supposed to start around 8:00 AM Houston
time and continue all day.

Film at 11.

--
			   *** mike (starship janitor) smithwick ***
"Due to the Writer's Guild of Amierica strike, this signature is

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (07/28/88)

In article <12308@ames.arc.nasa.gov> mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov.UUCP (Mike Smithwick) writes:
>In article <750@hadron.UUCP> klr@hadron.UUCP (Kurt L. Reisler) writes:
>>Does anyone know when (if) the test firing of the shuttle main engines
>>is scheduled for?  As I get NASA Select broadcasts on my local cable, I
>>would like to be able to set up a tape and record the testing.
>
>The Flight-Readiness-Firing (FRF) is currently scheduled for this coming Thursday, July 28,
>at 7:30 am Eastern time. The coverage will start at T-90 minutes, or 6:00 AM. There will be
>a full-fledged "launch" commentary, and multi-camera replays "just like the real thing".
>At about T+4 hours there will be the post-FRF news conference.

The FRF has been delayed several times since it was originally scheduled.
The latest I have heard is that it is scheduled for Monday morning (7/28)
with T-0 being at 7:30 am EDT.

We are also supposed to get NASA select on our local company but only when
something interesting is happening (such as, during flights).  I don't
know if they will consider the FRF to be interesting enough.  I know I do.

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			Houston, Texas
			<phil@Rice.edu>

In article <1720@kalliope.rice.edu> phil@Rice.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:
>The latest I have heard is that it is scheduled for Monday morning (7/28)
>with T-0 being at 7:30 am EDT.					     ^^^^

Oops.  Sorry.  That's today's date.  I meant "8/1".