[sci.space.shuttle] Launch Window question

adolph@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark C. Adolph) (09/18/88)

In article <15019@ames.arc.nasa.gov>, yee@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee) writes:

>      NASA today set a target launch date of Sept. 29 for STS-26,
> the next Space Shuttle flight.  The opening of the launch window
> is approximately 9:59 a.m. EDT.

If the purpose of the mission is to deploy a geosynchronous satellite,
why is there a launch window?  What difference does it make when one
launches into earth orbit?

--

					-- Mark A.
					...uw-beaver!ssc-vax!adolph

In article <2234@ssc-vax.UUCP> adolph@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark C. Adolph) writes:
>If the purpose of the mission is to deploy a geosynchronous satellite,
>why is there a launch window?  What difference does it make when one
>launches into earth orbit?

A possible candidate for the frequently-asked questions list, Eugene!

Sun angles are important during transit to Clarke (geostationary) orbit,
because the satellite is not fully unfolded and careful attention to
temperature control and solar-array power output is needed.  This makes
the transfer orbit's exact position in space somewhat critical.  If the
launch site were on the equator, this wouldn't be a problem.  But when
the starting orbit is inclined, which shuttle orbits are, the transfer
orbit has much the same inclination (it is cheaper to make almost all
of the plane change on leaving transfer orbit, not on entering it).
This makes the orientation of the starting orbit important.  Hence a
specific launch window.

(The serious satellite folk are welcome to correct this if I've botched
anything; I'm at home with a massive head cold and I'm not thinking too
well.)
--
NASA is into artificial        |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
stupidity.  - Jerry Pournelle  | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (09/20/88)

In article <2234@ssc-vax.UUCP> adolph@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark C. Adolph) writes:
>If the purpose of the mission is to deploy a geosynchronous satellite,
>why is there a launch window?  What difference does it make when one
>launches into earth orbit?

The launch window is not for the benefit of the payload (at least, not in
this case).  It is primarily for the benefit of the orbiter, to ensure
that all the aborts are safe to take.  It is also effected by the
scheduled duration of the flight.

The following things (at least---there may be others) effect the launch
window:  sunset at the trans-atlantic abort sites (to insure that they can
still see to land if a TAL is necessary), sunrise at the landing site on
the scheduled end of mission (EOM) day, sunrise at the landing site on EOM
+ 1 day and EOM + 2 days (in case the orbiter has to stay up longer than
planned, perhaps because of problems on board or on the ground) and
probably EOM - 1 day if the launch is scheduled during the spring, the 3
hour crew constraint (the crew is not allowed to sit in the orbiter more
than three hours after the window opens for fear of fatigue, boredom,
muscle cramps, and certain natural functions---see below).  There are also
constraints imposed by the payload:  even a geosynchronous one.  I'm not
too clear on the reasons behind the payload constraints, but it may have
something to do with launching the payload in daylight (or with the sun in
a specific place).

I don't understand the 9:59 EDT launch time.  The chart I have shows that
the window for the 29th doesn't open until 10:07 EDT.  Maybe they came out
with a different window schedule (the one I have is dated May 24, 1988).

"Other natural functions":  What's the first thing the crew does after
getting into orbit?  Look out the windows.  What's the second thing?  Line
up for the bathroom!  I'm serious.  Think about it....

Something else I heard:  the flight deck only holds 4 crew members during
ascent and entry.  The remainder must ride it out on the middeck.  You
might think that those on the middeck really lose out because they can't
see out during launch.  But there's an advantage that makes up for it:
they're the first in line for the "waste disposal facility"!

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>

eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (09/20/88)

Well, since I used to work for OTDA (Office of Tracking and Data Acq).
I should point out also that the TDRS is a pretty big satellite, and
we want it in a particular place.  In part of this case, we are talking
about a substantial amount of fuel would could better be used for
attitude correction.  Another reason for the "window" of this mission.

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "Mailers?! HA!", "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {uunet,hplabs,ncar,decwrl,allegra,tektronix}!ames!aurora!eugene
  "Send mail, avoid follow-ups.  If enough, I'll summarize."

karn@thumper.bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) (09/20/88)

> If the purpose of the mission is to deploy a geosynchronous satellite,
> why is there a launch window?  What difference does it make when one
> launches into earth orbit?

There are two main classes of geostationary communications satellite: spin
stabilized and 3-axis stabilized.

At separation, both types of satellite are generally oriented by the
launcher (either expendable or STS) with the proper attitude for kick
motor firing, and spun up. The satellite spins, maintains this inertial
attitude during the ~5 hour coast up to geostationary altitude, trimming
it as necessary with attitude control fuel (usually hydrazine or cold
gas). The firing attitude puts the kick motor thrust vector nearly in
the plane of the equator and perpendicular to the major axis of the
transfer orbit. (I.e., at apogee the satellite's spin is parallel to the
earth's surface directly beneath it). For a launch in the northern
hemisphere the nozzle is actually pointed slightly north of west so the
transfer orbit inclination can be reduced to zero.

The operational attitude for a spin-stabilized spacecraft always has the
spin axis parallel with the earth's axis. Since the kick motor is also
aligned with the spacecraft spin axis, the firing attitude is therefore
nearly perpendicular to the normal operational attitude.  In order not
to starve the solar arrays during this period, the sun must be aligned
roughly with the major axis of the orbit. In other words, the apogee and
perigee points of the transfer orbit must lie above spots on the earth
that are near local noon and midnight (or local midnight and noon). So
you generally have two launch windows per day -- one centered around
local noon at the orbit injection point and another around local
midnight.  Since the launch always takes place from a site to the west
of the injection point, the local time at the launch site will be a
couple of hours before noon or midnight.

A second consideration is eclipses -- you want to avoid them during the
transfer orbit, if you can help it. Particularly if you have deployable
solar arrays, you are working from a limited budget during the transfer
orbit phase and you need all the power you can get. So the daytime
launch window often closes during the spring and fall seasons, when the
transfer orbit apogee would be on the night side of the earth and in the
earth's shadow.  That's why you see so many nighttime launches -- they put
the apogee on the day side of the earth.

Three-axis spacecraft are generally operated in a spin-stabilized mode
during the orbit transfer and kick motor firing phases, and their
deployable arrays are usually folded up against the side of the
spacecraft. So for the purposes of setting launch windows, these
spacecraft are the same as spinning spacecraft.

There are some exceptions, notably payloads riding on IUS (which doesn't
spin), and their launch windows are probably based on eclipse
considerations more than sun attitude.

Phil

knudsen@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Knudsen) (09/21/88)

In article <1897@kalliope.rice.edu>, phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:
> hour crew constraint (the crew is not allowed to sit in the orbiter more
> than three hours after the window opens for fear of fatigue, boredom,
> muscle cramps, and certain natural functions---see below).  There are also

This whole problem was rather thoroughly documented in _The Right Stuff_,
where Alan Shepard received a "go" to go -- while still on the pad.
Soiled his spacesuit.  Funniest part of the movie, just couldn't resist.

Read Phil's explanation, not mine.  He got it right.  (Having one's brain
cells working properly helps.)