[sci.space.shuttle] NASA Select - when is it on?

leech@proline.cs.unc.edu (09/16/88)

    Our communications director has agreed to let me set up the
department satellite dish to receive NASA Select for the STS-26
launch (yay!). Unfortunately, I have been unable to find any activity
on the channel to verify we are receiving it correctly. Can anyone
suggest a time in the near future when there will definitely be
activity on NASA Select, so I can verify everything is working
*before* launch coverage begins?

    Also, an earlier posting by Peter Yee mentioned how to find
Select:

>     Activities to be covered by NASA Select television (carried
>on Satcom F-2R, transponder 3, at 72 degrees west longitude)
>include the crew's arrival and departure.  On Sept. 8, NASA

    I believe this is incorrect; at least, our cable schedule shows
'Nasa Contract' being on transponder 13, and nothing on transponder 3.
I haven't found any coverage on either transponder yet.

    Thanks!
--
    Jon Leech (leech@cs.unc.edu)    __@/
    ``Thus Mathematics helps / our brains and hands and feet

klr@hadron.UUCP (Kurt L. Reisler) (09/20/88)

In article <4224@thorin.cs.unc.edu> leech@proline.cs.unc.edu () writes:

>    Our communications director has agreed to let me set up the
>department satellite dish to receive NASA Select for the STS-26
>launch (yay!). Unfortunately, I have been unable to find any activity
>on the channel to verify we are receiving it correctly. Can anyone
>suggest a time in the near future when there will definitely be
>activity on NASA Select, so I can verify everything is working
>*before* launch coverage begins?

What we see on NASA Select (on Media General Cable channel 40 in the
Washington DC area) is a black screen with blue title band (NASA SELECT)
in the center and a running date/time stream on the bottom of the
screen.  I had been assured by the technoids at the cable company that
all they do is relay what they get from NASA.  In other words, they had
no idea or control over what or when anything was broadcast.  From what
I have seen, coverage usually starts a few hours before an "event".

mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Smithwick) (09/24/88)

In article <4224@thorin.cs.unc.edu> leech@proline.cs.unc.edu () writes:

>    Our communications director has agreed to let me set up the
>department satellite dish to receive NASA Select for the STS-26
>launch (yay!). Unfortunately, I have been unable to find any activity
>on the channel to verify we are receiving it correctly. Can anyone
>suggest a time in the near future when there will definitely be
>activity on NASA Select, so I can verify everything is working
>*before* launch coverage begins?

NASA Select comes on as needed. In the past few months they've been showning
stuff several times a week: press conferences, some space sickness studies,
sims, the rollout, SRB tests, etc. Whenever a "major" event happens,
NASA select will probably cover it.

Concerning the mission at hand, STS-26, you can get a mission TV
schedule from "COMSTORE", the NASA select BBS. It is at (713) 483-5817,
1200 baud.

*** mike ***

--
			   *** mike (starship janitor) smithwick ***
"he's braindead Jim. . ."