[sci.space.shuttle] Getting federal documents

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) (09/25/88)

In article <1988Sep22.052539.3202@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo (Henry Spencer) writes:
>	        Any good library ought to have a copy of Vol I, and maybe
>the other volumes if it's a really good library.

In the US, there's a program where federal documents are maintained in
libraries across the country.  Odds are that it's a local university
library that is part of the program in anyone's area.  And it doesn't
have to be a big name university either: I know of some small schools
that are part of the program.

Try looking in the white pages under "Government".

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720

mpk9172@ritcv.UUCP (Michael Kirby) (09/26/88)

In article <14688@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) writes:
>In the US, there's a program where federal documents are maintained in
>libraries across the country.  Odds are that it's a local university
>library that is part of the program in anyone's area.  And it doesn't
>have to be a big name university either: I know of some small schools
>that are part of the program.
>
>Try looking in the white pages under "Government".

There is a requirement by law that federally funded research be available for
public inspection unless it's classified (and I'm sure there are other
exceptions from the rule).  These documents are given to government
repositories.  Here in rochester, the University of Rochester is a partial
repository for such documents.  There are also computer databases that
contain lists of all these documents.  I've used the NTIS (National
Technical Information Service) and INSPEC(Not sure what it means, but it's
got alot of good stuff) on occasion.  Just ask your local colegiate
librarian, and they should know what your talking about.  At RIT, they'll
even run a computer search for you (for five dollars).

Michael Kirby
mpk9172@ritvax.bitnet
mpk9172@ritcv.UUCP

jsalter@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (The Math Hacker) (09/26/88)

In <14688@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> csun!sm.unisys.com!cs.utexas.edu!rutgers!apple!bionet!agate!garnet!weemba you state:
>In article <1988Sep22.052539.3202@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo (Henry Spencer) writes:
>>	        Any good library ought to have a copy of Vol I, and maybe
>>the other volumes if it's a really good library.

>In the US, there's a program where federal documents are maintained in
>libraries across the country.  Odds are that it's a local university
>library that is part of the program in anyone's area.  And it doesn't
>have to be a big name university either: I know of some small schools
>that are part of the program.

Some not-so-good libraries have them, too.  We do.  :-)

California Polytechnic State University is a Federal Document repository.
We probably have that document here.  If you are able to request an
interlibrary loan, that might do it; I'm not sure, though.  You may need to
go through another college library for that.  Good luck.

--
James A. Salter (jim/jsalter) -- Yes, math majors can use UNIX(tm), too!
jsalter@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU	   | sin(x)/n = 6   (Cancel the n's!)