[sci.space.shuttle] SSME motion before lift-off.

pjm@utastro.UUCP (Phillip MacQueen) (09/30/88)

  During the six-or-so seconds that separate the ignitions of the SSMEs and
the SRBs, there is a brief period in which the orientation of the SSMEs rapidly
varies. What is the purpose of/reason for this motion?  Is it an intentional
test of the SSME mountings before the decision to ignite the SRBs is made, or
is it just a characteristic of the ignition process due to something like the
direction of their thrust vectors being unstable during that period?

  As a side note, my first impression of the apparent flame at the side of the
left SRB's nozzle was that it was a red flare from the camera lens due to the
intensity of the immediately adjacent SRB plume.  Unfortunately, the credibility
of this (desirable) explanation dwindled as I continued to watch.

Phillip MacQueen
McDonald Observatory
Austin, Texas.

In article <3200@utastro.UUCP> pjm@utastro.UUCP (Phillip MacQueen) writes:
>... What is the purpose of/reason for this motion?  Is it an intentional
>test of the SSME mountings...

It's a deliberate test of engine gimballing, as I recall.
--
The meek can have the Earth;    |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
the rest of us have other plans.|uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu