[sci.space.shuttle] 104% Trottle ??

hjespersen@trillium.waterloo.edu (Hans Jespersen) (10/03/88)

Please excuse this posting if its subject matter has been discussed before,
I am not a regular to sci.space.shuttle.

When the shuttle goes to 104% trottle what does the 104% represent.
104% of what?? You would think 100% was full trottle and it would
not be possible to go any higher. What is full trottle??

Hans Jespersen          UUCP : attcan!{uunet|utgpu}!watmath!trillium!hjespersen
University of Waterloo  USENET  : hjespersen@trillium.waterloo.edu
Waterloo, Ontario       VOICENET: (519)747-1721
                        MAILNET : 20 Dunbar St. N, Waterloo, Ont., N2L 2C7

In article <8837@watdragon.waterloo.edu> hjespersen@trillium.waterloo.edu (Hans Jespersen) writes:
>When the shuttle goes to 104% trottle what does the 104% represent.
>104% of what?? You would think 100% was full trottle and it would
>not be possible to go any higher. What is full trottle??

The percentages are with respect to the original designed thrust of the
engines.  It has proved possible to run them at slightly higher thrusts
without significant adverse effects.
--
The meek can have the Earth;    |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
the rest of us have other plans.|uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu