[sci.space.shuttle] 100% plus? was Re: Shuttle Roll

irwin@m.cs.uiuc.edu (10/04/88)

/* Written  3:42 pm  Oct  2, 1988 by wooding@daisy.UUCP in m.cs.uiuc.edu:sci.space.shuttle */
/* ---------- "Re: 100% plus? was Re: Shuttle Roll" ---------- */
>Originally the shuttle engines were designed to be able to run up to

> What is the difference between a motor and an engine? Seems
> like the terms are used interchangeably. Are they?

> m wooding
/* End of text from m.cs.uiuc.edu:sci.space.shuttle */

Eons of time ago, a motor was considered something that ran with
electrical power, using the magnetic field as a source of motion.

An engine was something that ran on some sort of combustion with
ignition and fuel.

Anymore, I think the terms are somewhat blurred. Note, our laser
printer is called a "print engine". I think the English language
is going to the dogs!

sl@van-bc.UUCP (pri=-10 Stuart Lynne) (10/06/88)

In article <22000003@m.cs.uiuc.edu> irwin@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>> What is the difference between a motor and an engine? Seems
>> like the terms are used interchangeably. Are they?

>Eons of time ago, a motor was considered something that ran with
>electrical power, using the magnetic field as a source of motion.

>An engine was something that ran on some sort of combustion with
>ignition and fuel.

>Anymore, I think the terms are somewhat blurred. Note, our laser
>printer is called a "print engine". I think the English language
>is going to the dogs!

Well my Concise Oxford (1982 ed) says in part:

	engine: 1. n. mechanical contrivance ... especial as a source
	of power....  2. (arch) machine or instrument used in war;
	instrument, means

	motor: 1. n. what imparts motion, machine supplying motive power
	for carriage or vessel, esp internal combustion engine ....

It would seem that a motor is an engine that is used to move something.

The "print engine" would seem to be based on the archaic definition. This is
a common marketing ploy designed to attract people's attention by being a
bit different.

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca {ubc-cs,uunet}!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532