[sci.space.shuttle] SRB 'flames'

eder@ssc-vax.UUCP (Dani Eder) (10/06/88)

In article <781@hadron.UUCP>, klr@hadron.UUCP (Kurt L. Reisler) writes:
> What the hell was that flame that appeared between the left SRB and the
> orbiter just before SRB seperation?  It scared the hell out of me,
> because it looked a little like what happened just before the Challanger
> went up.  It appeared to be a burn-off of a trapped pocket of gas.

I don't have authoritative data on this reddish plume, but I can make
an informed guess based on hanging around propulsion people and working
on shuttle derived vehicles.

At the time, the shuttle was going around Mach 3 to 4.  The Shuttle
is a very blunt object to be traveling at that speed.  hence, there
would be a strong shock wave coming off the noses of the parts of the
stack.  It could be that the interference or compression caused by those
shocks was getting the air hot enough to glow.  Another part of the
puzzle is recalling that the ET insulation looks charred at the time
it separates from the Orbiter.  Perhaps some of the organic insulation
material is burning with the air,  hydrocarbon co

--
Dani Eder / Boeing / Space Station Program / uw-beaver!ssc-vax!eder
(205)464-4150(w) (205)461-7801(h) 1075 Dockside Drive #905 Huntsville,