[sci.space.shuttle] What's Wrong with this Picture?

knudsen@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Knudsen) (10/01/88)

Amongst all the photos of our re-entry into space,
there was one of the shuttle stack sitting on the pad.
It was a little funny:
(1) The gantry didn't look quite like any angle Id seen
(2) The ET was a bit skinny
(3) The booster fairings, instead of conical crayon points,
were dovetailed into the ET (a good idea, seems to me)
(4) Some kids had spray-painted "CCCP" on the port wing.

Well, you can guess that the caption said "First released
photo of the new Soviet shuttle."  It's nice to know Xerox
sells to the Soviets, or was it Sharp?  No, Toshiba of course!

I knew there shuttle was similar to ours, but not only is
the orbiter the same shape, but even the color scheme is the same,
with black leading edges and all!

Kidding aside, have I read on this newsgroup
that their boosters are liquid fueled?  The caption referred
to them as Energias.
Do they use tiles?  I know they throw titanium around like
plastic (whole submarines with titanium hulls).

In article <6981@ihlpl.ATT.COM> knudsen@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Knudsen) writes:
>Well, you can guess that the caption said "First released
>photo of the new Soviet shuttle."  It's nice to know Xerox
>sells to the Soviets, or was it Sharp?  No, Toshiba of course!

[From context, the above *may* not have been serious... but it's worth
reminding new readers that jokes should *always* be marked with smiley
faces ":-)", because tone of voice is not conveyed well by this medium
and misunderstandings are easy.]

People who claim the Soviets stole the design of their shuttle from the
US are (a) underestimating the Soviets, (b) underestimating the degree
to which good design is dictated by the laws of nature, and (c) ignoring
the ways in which their design is better.

>I knew there shuttle was similar to ours, but not only is
>the orbiter the same shape, but even the color scheme is the same,
>with black leading edges and all!

This is hardly a surprise.  The black stuff on the leading edges of the
US shuttle is not paint, it is the carbon-carbon high-temperature tiles.
If the Soviets are using similar thermal protection, their leading edges
will look black too.

Also, don't overlook the fact that the Soviets have a bit of an inferiority
complex, and might choose trivia like the paint scheme to resemble the US
one deliberately:  "see, we can build one like that too".

>... have I read on this newsgroup
>that their boosters are liquid fueled?  The caption referred
>to them as Energias.

The things that look like SRBs and the thing that looks like an external
tank are, together, the Energia heavy-lift launcher.  The SRB lookalikes
are strap-on liquid-fuel boosters.  The ET lookalike is not just a tank,
it is a complete rocket stage.  The combination is the heaviest launcher
now operational in the world, in the same class as the defunct Saturn V.
The Soviet shuttle orbiter is just an unusually-shaped payload for Energia;
the orbiter has no major engines of its own.

>Do they use tiles?

Quite possibly.  I don't think anyone is sure.

>I know they throw titanium around like
>plastic (whole submarines with titanium hulls).

Rockets have always made a lot of use of exotic alloys, so it wouldn't
be surprising to find titanium in Energia.  For that matter, given that
the USSR is a major world supplier of titanium, it wouldn't be a great
surprise if there is Soviet titanium in the US shuttles.
--
The meek can have the Earth;    |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
the rest of us have other plans.|uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

rcj@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Robert Johnson) (10/03/88)

With the incresing speculation on the Soviet Shuttle, I was just wondering
why the hell they are using Energia?  The whole advantage to ours is that
our main engines are reusable.  The Energia and engines will fry, and all
that will be reusable is the shuttle itself, and maybe the SRB's (well,
LFRB's...).  All I have to say to this is why?  It's akin to sticking a
Shuttle on a Saturn V...Sorta defeats the purpose.

    Robert Johnson

In article <5705@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> rcj@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Robert Johnson) writes:
>why the hell they are using Energia?  The whole advantage to ours is that
>our main engines are reusable.  The Energia and engines will fry, and all
>that will be reusable is the shuttle itself, and maybe the SRB's (well,
>LFRB's...).  All I have to say to this is why?  It's akin to sticking a
>Shuttle on a Saturn V...Sorta defeats the purpose.

The Soviets say that all of Energia, the core as well as the strap-ons,
is designed to be recoverable.  Sounds like a tall order to me, but there
is nothing fundamentally impossible about it.  I believe they haven't yet
tried recovering the core.

Bear in mind that Energia has two primary roles, not just one.  It's not
just a shuttle carrier; it is also a heavylift booster in its own right.
Putting the engines on the orbiter would make that impossible.  The US is
just now talking about building Shuttle-C, the shuttle-derived heavylift
booster; the Soviets started with the heavylift booster and added a shuttle
as a bonus.

Don't forget that the economics of reusability are not quite as simple as
one might think.  The Soviets have a far more capable space program than
the US's, based entirely around expendable boosters.  Their costs for an
expendable launch are considerably lower than for the US's mostly-reusable
shuttle.  Mass production makes a big difference.  The West tends to think
that 50 boosters is a huge bulk order; that's six months' supply for the
Soviet space program.  They are committed to a 40-year production run on
Energia already.  (Lest we forget, the Saturn V was dead ten years after
its first flight.)

Sticking a shuttle on a Saturn V would have been a hell of a lot better
than sticking it on segmented solid boosters!  And it would have flown
sooner, and probably have been cheaper, too.
--

knudsen@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Knudsen) (10/04/88)

In article <1988Oct2.021158.15076@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> People who claim the Soviets stole the design of their shuttle from the
> US are (a) underestimating the Soviets, (b) underestimating the degree
> to which good design is dictated by the laws of nature, and (c) ignoring
> the ways in which their design is better.

OK, I'll remember the :-) next time.  Actually, my posting resulted from
my surprise at a number of things:
   Speculation had been that the Soviet shuttle would be titanium
wings (like our old DynaSoar idea) and not tiles.  Now I've always
thought that tiles were an elegant usage of exotic materials,
but I've seen them poo-pooed on this newsgroup as yet another NASA
sleazy cost-cutting.  As if we really *should* use solid titanium
or tungsten or whatever.  So the Soviet color scheme suggested that
they too consider tiles worthwhile.  Unless they just painted the
thing that way for the photo.  Maybe they just tile the
leading edges, the rest is bare metal.

> Also, don't overlook the fact that the Soviets have a bit of an inferiority
> complex, and might choose trivia like the paint scheme to resemble the US
> one deliberately:  "see, we can build one like that too".

You'd think that inferiority complex would be gone by now, but...

> The Soviet shuttle orbiter is just an unusually-shaped payload for Energia;
> the orbiter has no major engines of its own.

I knew what the Energia was, but I was fooled by the camera angle
(which hid the main engines) into thinking the engines were on
the orbiter.  I'd alos heard the orbiter was supposed to be just
dead payload on an Energia or Proton, but this photo looked
otherwise.  If the Soviets intended dis-information, they
scored big on me.

Overall, I'm surprised (plesantly) by how thoroughly the Reds have
followed our design, including bothering with a Shuttle at all.
Of course, our mistake was not indeveloping the shuttle, but doing
it to the exclusion of other launchers.  The Soviets instead have
*integrated* their shuttle as anothger "customer" of big boosters.
And they don't have to glide and land those heavy engines.

Do they parachute-recover Energia boosters, or are they cheap enough
to forget about?  "Cheap" may mean different in the USSR.

knudsen@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Knudsen) (10/04/88)

In article <5705@killer.DALLAS.TX.US>, rcj@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Robert Johnson) writes:
> With the incresing speculation on the Soviet Shuttle, I was just wondering
> why the hell they are using Energia?  The whole advantage to ours is that
> our main engines are reusable.  The Energia and engines will fry, and all
> that will be reusable is the shuttle itself, and maybe the SRB's (well,
> LFRB's...).  All I have to say to this is why?  It's akin to sticking a
> Shuttle on a Saturn V...Sorta defeats the purpose.

Well, I've thought about this, and maybe saving the main engines
is not the only purpose of a shuttlecraft.
First, the Soviet engines are probably a lot cheaper than ours
(built to use only once), and the Soviets don't have to be quite so
gung-ho on cost-cutting -- they shoot off lots of expendables.
(Ironically, with Mir they have a good use for recoverables, tho).

Remember, the orbiter itself is 100% re-usable.  We never re-used
any of our space capsules with ablative heat shields, tho maybe
with the constant Mir traffic the Russians do.  And they'll
turn their orbiters around a lot faster since they don't have to
refurbish the engines (we don't just refuel our SSMEs -- they
get dismounted and overhauled).

Their shuttle can still deploy heavy payloads needing human assistance,
and bring back satellites in the cargo bay.  And they can glide
and land lighter without dragging the main engines back in their tail.

Splashing down in the ocean (or a Soviet beet field) under parachutes
is an undignified, dangerous, and bumpy way to come back to Earth.
If we had Saturn V's, I'm not so sure that strapping engineless
orbiters to them would be such a bad idea.  Although I'd sure work on
a parachute scheme to get those F1 1st-stage engines back.

alastair@geovision.uucp (Alastair Mayer) (10/04/88)

In article <6981@ihlpl.ATT.COM> knudsen@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Knudsen) writes:
>Amongst all the photos of our re-entry into space,
>there was one of the shuttle stack sitting on the pad.
>It was a little funny:
>(1) The gantry didn't look quite like any angle Id seen
>(2) The ET was a bit skinny
>(3) The booster fairings, instead of conical crayon points,
>were dovetailed into the ET (a good idea, seems to me)
>(4) Some kids had spray-painted "CCCP" on the port wing.
>
>Well, you can guess that the caption said "First released
>photo of the new Soviet shuttle."  It's nice to know Xerox
>sells to the Soviets, or was it Sharp?  No, Toshiba of course!
>
>I knew there shuttle was similar to ours, but not only is
>the orbiter the same shape, but even the color scheme is the same,
>with black leading edges and all!
>
>Kidding aside, have I read on this newsgroup
>that their boosters are liquid fueled?  The caption referred
>to them as Energias.
>Do they use tiles?  I know they throw titanium around like
>plastic (whole submarines with titanium hulls).

Just because a shark and a dolphin have similar shapes, does that mean
one is a copy of the other?  The US and Soviet shuttles have similar
shapes for aerodynamic reasons.  (Not totally true - other shapes would
work, but US shuttle proved that large delta wing works.)   The structures
are totally different.  The color scheme, by the way, is dictated by
thermal loads during reentry (but I expect you knew that).

There are quite a few differences:  the Soviet shuttle doesn't have
(main) engines - the main engines are at the base of the ET-like
structure.  They are (like shuttle) LH2/LOX engines.   The strap-on
boosters are *liquid* (lox/kerosene ?) not solid.

Yes, the basic central tank and engines, plus liquid boosters, is
the Energia heavy-lift launcher.  The shuttle is just one of the
payloads it can boost.  It can be used for straight cargo by using
a cargo pod instead of the shuttle.  It can lift more by adding
strap on boosters.
   Furthermore, it's recoverable.  The boosters separate and recover
by parachute.  The central tank and engines are apparently also
recoverable, but splits into three sections (engines, O2 tank, H2 tank)
for recovery (dunno how they're recovered though).
   Shuttleski has been on and off the pad several times this year.
Some rumor of software problems delaying the launch, but most likely
explanation I heard (given Soviet way of thinking) was that the
were various political considerations in the timing vis a vis its
probable overshadowing of other newsworthy events.

In article <7014@ihlpl.ATT.COM> knudsen@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Knudsen) writes:
>Overall, I'm surprised (plesantly) by how thoroughly the Reds have
>followed our design, including bothering with a Shuttle at all.

Don't be misled by this; remember that they are not doing it as a launch
vehicle, they're doing it as a recovery vehicle.  It makes a difference.

>Do they parachute-recover Energia boosters, or are they cheap enough
>to forget about?  "Cheap" may mean different in the USSR.

The mysterious boxes on the sides of the Energia strap-ons are reported
to be parachute housings.
--

In article <7016@ihlpl.ATT.COM> knudsen@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Knudsen) writes:
>If we had Saturn V's, I'm not so sure that strapping engineless
>orbiters to them would be such a bad idea.  Although I'd sure work on
>a parachute scheme to get those F1 1st-stage engines back.

Serious attention was given to the idea of making later Saturn V first
stages recoverable.  When the production run was cut to 15, such ideas
were shelved.
--

perl@step.UUCP (Robert Perlberg) (10/05/88)

In article <6981@ihlpl.ATT.COM>, knudsen@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Knudsen) writes:
> I knew there shuttle was similar to ours, but not only is
> the orbiter the same shape, but even the color scheme is the same,
> with black leading edges and all!

The commentators on CBS addressed this saying that any glide-reentry
shuttle would have to look the same as ours because of the aerodynamics
involved.

Robert Perlberg
Dean Witter Reynolds Inc., New York
phri!{dasys1 | philabs | manhat}!step!perl
	-- "I am not a language ... I am a free man!"

rlf@mtgzy.att.com (r.l.fletcher) (10/07/88)

So what if the Soviets did use our Shuttle shape to build theirs.  I doubt
very much if anything besides the shape is similar. Is their main computer
based on an IBM 360 too? Its not like we fly the thing with a cloak over
it to keep its shape a secret. Does anyone know the patent number for
the shape and color scheme of a US Shuttle?
Yeesh, who was it that said, "impersonation is the ultimate form
of flattery?"

Besides, it wouldn't be the first time a major world power "borrowed"
technology/ideas/people from other countries to further their
own space effort now would it?

I believe it is quite possible that the Soviets arrived at the shape of
their own accord, or they could have copied us. Much of the Shuttles physical
specifications are public information.  But why does it matter?
Sure, let's let our egos further the dis-integration of
Soviet/US space efforts, it can only help in the long term exploration
of space, right?

I wonder how far along the world space effort would be now if
all interested countries had collaborated on space programs from
the beginning.

					Ron Fletcher
					AT&T Bell Laboratories
					Middletown NJ