[sci.space.shuttle] Edwards and Dryden

mcdowell@cfa250.harvard.edu (Jonathan McDowell) (10/05/88)

From article <15991@ames.arc.nasa.gov>, by yee@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Peter E. Yee):
> DISCOVERY PROCESSING REPORT FOR - TUES., OCT. 4, 1988
>           AMES-DRYDEN FLIGHT RESEARCH FACILITY, CALIF.
>      Discovery's main landing gear touched down at 9:37:08 a.m.
> (PDT) yesterday on Runway 17

Does the Shuttle land at Dryden or at Edwards? Is there in fact a
distinction?

The NASA Ames-Dryden Center (DFRF) is colocated with the USAF Edwards
Air Force Base (EAFB) in (I guess) a similar way to the NASA Kennedy
Space Center lying next to Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.  [ The
Shuttle is launched from Kennedy Space Center but the Delta and Atlas
Centaur are launched from Cape Canaveral AFS.] But which bits are in
DFRF and which in EAFB? Are all the runways in fact on DFRF as the above
note implies or are they (or some of them) on EAFB territory? Or is DFRF
considered to be on EAFB land?

I'm sure there is someone on the net who knows the answer to this. (Eugene,
are you there?)

Jonathan McDowell

In article <1114@cfa237.cfa250.harvard.edu> mcdowell@cfa250.harvard.edu (Jonathan McDowell) writes:
>Does the Shuttle land at Dryden or at Edwards? Is there in fact a
>distinction?

I *think* the answer is that Edwards is the base and Dryden is a tenant,
i.e. there is no part of the place (except perhaps some buildings etc.)
that actually belongs to Dryden as distinct from Edwards.  I don't believe
it parallels the Canaveral/Kennedy situation, where there are two distinct
organizations with their own territories that share some support facilities.
I could be wrong.  Eugene would presumably know for sure.
--
The meek can have the Earth;    |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
the rest of us have other plans.|uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

leem@jplpro.JPL.NASA.GOV (Lee Mellinger) (10/11/88)

In article <1988Oct6.174216.29965@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
|In article <1114@cfa237.cfa250.harvard.edu> mcdowell@cfa250.harvard.edu (Jonathan McDowell) writes:
|>Does the Shuttle land at Dryden or at Edwards? Is there in fact a
|>distinction?
|
|I *think* the answer is that Edwards is the base and Dryden is a tenant,
|i.e. there is no part of the place (except perhaps some buildings etc.)
|that actually belongs to Dryden as distinct from Edwards.  I don't believe
|it parallels the Canaveral/Kennedy situation, where there are two distinct
|organizations with their own territories that share some support facilities.
|I could be wrong.  Eugene would presumably know for sure.
|--
|The meek can have the Earth;    |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
|the rest of us have other plans.|uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

Eugene probably knows for sure, but I can tell you that Edwards AFB is
a USAF facility that has several tenants, among them is the JPL
Edwards Facility where rocket propulsion elements are tested.  The
Dryden facility used to be a NASA center but a few years ago lost its
independence and was made a part of the Ames Research Center.  I
believe it consists of a main building and some hanger space, but
there may be more.  I was on the hill behind Dryden for the
Discovery landing last week, what a sight!

Lee

|Lee F. Mellinger                         Jet Propulsion Laboratory - NASA|
|4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena, CA 91109 818/393-0516  FTS 977-0516      |
|UUCP: {ames!cit-vax,psivax}!elroy!jpl-devvax!jplpro!leem                 |
|ARPA: jplpro!leem!@cit-vax.ARPA -or- leem@jplpro.JPL.NASA.GOV            |