[sci.space.shuttle] Why can't Enterprise fly?

birenboi@koh2.usc.edu (Aaron Birenboim) (10/09/88)

In article <10564@reed.UUCP> reeder@reed.UUCP (P Douglas Reeder) writes:

>What are the technical problems with Enterprise that led to it not being
>launched?  (I'd appreciate an answer in at least moderate detail.)

I believe that the Enterprize was a TEST ONLY vehicle.  It had NO
engines.  Not to mention that the tiles were re-designed after
Enterprize.  I think it is on display somewhere now.  Is this Right?

Aaron "The Lumberjack" Birenboim|"In the begining, the Universe was created...
                                | This made a lot of people angry, and was
         GO TROJANS!!           | widely reguarded as a bad move."
 birenboi@castor.usc.edu        |   -Douglass Adams  _The Guide_

In article <1587@nunki.usc.edu> birenboi@koh2.usc.edu (Aaron Birenboim) writes:
>I believe that the Enterprize was a TEST ONLY vehicle...

Common misconception.  Enterprise was built to be an operational orbiter.
It was not fully equipped at the time of the landing tests -- no engines
and no tiles, for example -- but the plans definitely called for refitting
it to make it operational.  Unfortunately, it was the first orbiter built,
and there were a lot of second thoughts.  By the time the decision had to
be made, Enterprise looked too far below spec and too far overweight to be
attractive as an orbiter.  So instead, the structural-test prototype was
tested a bit less severely than planned and refitted to become Challenger,
while Enterprise was kept as a test article and museum exhibit.

Columbia has the same problems to a lesser extent; it too is overweight
compared to the later orbiters, and it's currently out of service for a
fairly extensive refit to bring it closer to current specs.  There are
plans to alter it to make it the long-duration orbiter, specializing in
Spacelab, since the lighter orbiters make better heavy-payload trucks.
--
The meek can have the Earth;    |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
the rest of us have other plans.|uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu