[sci.space.shuttle] Comm Traffic

edp@pyr.gatech.EDU (Warren Tucker) (10/07/88)

In article <4361@cadnetix.COM> beres@cadnetix.COM () writes:
>I was watching on ABC where I couldn't hear much comm traffic, due to
>Peter and his guest a**hole chattering away non-stop.

Network TV coverage should, like other children, be seen and not
heard. (If you have Select access, you don't even have to see
the junk). Next time, find a short wave receiver and listen to
the shuttle on HF radio. I found it pleasing to turn the sound
OFF and watch the launch/landing while listening to the real
thing at 14.295 MHz, compliments of the Goddard Amateur Radio Club!
--
Warren Tucker
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!edp

knudsen@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Knudsen) (10/13/88)

In article <6514@pyr.gatech.EDU>, edp@pyr.gatech.EDU (Warren Tucker) writes:
> Network TV coverage should, like other children, be seen and not
> heard. (If you have Select access, you don't even have to see
> the junk). Next time, find a short wave receiver and listen to
> the shuttle on HF radio. I found it pleasing to turn the sound
> OFF and watch the launch/landing while listening to the real
> thing at 14.295 MHz, compliments of the Goddard Amateur Radio Club!

Thanks to postings in these Nets, I had the 20-meter Goddard ARC
coverage going on my Sony 2001 the whole time.
Unfortunately, I forgot to do the obvious thing the nite before:
rig a patch cord to my VCR from the radio.  That way I could have
had the a**holes of ABC commentary on one channel (my VCR is stereo)
and the real cap-com on the other.  Now when I replay the tape
I have just the ABC news jabber.  Would love to know what
the astronauts said when the SRBs separated, etc.
Next time I'll do this right.

BTW, other ham operators could have done a little better job
of staying clear of the frequency.  Other than that I was real pleased
with Maryland's signal here in 9-land.

chguest@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov.arpa (Charles Guest RCE) (10/13/88)

In article <7167@ihlpl.ATT.COM> knudsen@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Knudsen) writes:
>In article <6514@pyr.gatech.EDU>, edp@pyr.gatech.EDU (Warren Tucker) writes:
>> Network TV coverage should, like other children, be seen and not
>> heard. (If you have Select access, you don't even have to see
>> the junk). Next time, find a short wave receiver and listen to
>> the shuttle on HF radio.

>Thanks to postings in these Nets, I had the 20-meter Goddard ARC
>coverage going on my Sony 2001 the whole time.
>
>BTW, other ham operators could have done a little better job
>of staying clear of the frequency.  Other than that I was real pleased
>with Maryland's signal here in 9-land.

I think we all owe a big THANK YOU to the operators who brought us NASA
select coverage via NASA amature radio clubs.  In my area it was a Mr.
Edgerton who put in many long hours in the NASA retransmitting shack.  I
feel that I got much more out of being allowed to listen to the un-ABC
CBS NBCed version of the launch and landing.  I believe that everyone
who heard these transmissions should respond by letting the local
rebroadcaster know that he was appreciated.  If he was a member of a
NASA amature radio club there is a good chance that he did it all on his
own time.  Persons who were happy with the service should also consider
writing the NASA public affairs group to let them know that it was
appreciated.....perhapps even suggest a NASA Select TV broadcast on an
unused TV channel in the area.

feeling better CJG climbed down off of his soap box.......

*      OVERAL AND ALL INCLUSIVE DISCLAIMER:                *
*      (except for what I left out and meant to say)       *
*      The above reply/article is my opinion **only*       *
*      True and articulable facts had no bearing on        *
*      the above statements.    8=)  :-)  :->              *