[sci.space.shuttle] Touch-typing on the shuttle

khai@amara.uucp (S. Khai Mong) (10/12/88)

With all the talk about computers on the shuttle, I wonder whether it
is very difficult to touch-type in zero G.  I would imagine so.  Every
keystroke would probably throw you back literally, causing you to lose
your hand's orientation.  The problem would be worse with portable
laptops.  Under such circumstances, one would have to be very careful
about data entry.

--
"Nondeterminism means never having to say you are wrong."
+---------------------------- Don't blame me for what my fortune cookie says!

glenns@pipe.gatech.edu (Glenn R. Stone) (10/12/88)

In article <KHAI.88Oct11130950@amara.uucp> khai@amara.uucp (S. Khai Mong) writes:
>With all the talk about computers on the shuttle, I wonder whether it
>is very difficult to touch-type in zero G.  I would imagine so.  Every
>keystroke would probably throw you back literally....

The answer to this is very simple... the keyboard is anchored to something,
and you have a seatbelt on your typing chair.  The rest will take care of
itself, although it will take a little getting used to (i.e. holding one's
hands on the keyboard instead of allowing Earth to do so).... A pro typist
will probably want the keyforces to be lighter, as well.  Laptops would be
difficult, but as long as you remember to keep pushing up with your knees,
it might be workable.  You would, indeed, have to develop a gentle touch...
perhaps a keyboard extention on which the wrists rest to keep the rest in
place would be useful.

--
Glenn R. Stone (..gatech!glenns@pipe.gatech.edu)      BITNET : CCASTGS@GITNVE2
USNAIL: P. O. Box 30372  Atlanta, GA 30332              VOICE : (404) 873-1525

cjp@antique.UUCP (Charles Poirier) (10/13/88)

In article <KHAI.88Oct11130950@amara.uucp> khai@amara.UUCP writes:
<
<With all the talk about computers on the shuttle, I wonder whether it
<is very difficult to touch-type in zero G.  I would imagine so.  Every
<keystroke would probably throw you back literally, causing you to lose
<your hand's orientation.

I recently saw a photo of the inside of a Soviet space station.  The
data entry console has a backless chair mounted in front of it, with
velcro for stablizing the position of one's tush.  This apparently works
fine.

	Cheers,
--
	Charles Poirier   (decvax,ucbvax,mcnc,attmail)!vax135!cjp

   "Docking complete...       Docking complete...       Docking complete..."

In article <KHAI.88Oct11130950@amara.uucp> khai@amara.uucp (S. Khai Mong) writes:
>With all the talk about computers on the shuttle, I wonder whether it
>is very difficult to touch-type in zero G.  I would imagine so.  Every
>keystroke would probably throw you back literally...

This is a general problem with anything involving mechanical force in
free fall.  The answer is that you have to anchor yourself first.  This
is true on Earth as well, but gravity usually does the anchoring well
enough.
--
The meek can have the Earth;    |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
the rest of us have other plans.|uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (10/14/88)

As I said in a private note: there are foot restrainsts and seats.  Space
station mockups also have these.  Look on the "floor" some time.
You will see them (Space lab has more room to see them.)

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "Mailers?! HA!", "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {uunet,hplabs,ncar,decwrl,allegra,tektronix}!ames!aurora!eugene
  "Send mail, avoid follow-ups.  If enough, I'll summarize."