>>                           /  \
>>                           |  |
>>                           ~  ~
>>                           |==|
>>                          /|  |\
>>                         / |  | \
>>      ...  =======--=================--============  ...
>>               oo    oo           oo    oo
>>          ##########################################

> If you could somehow get from point A to B with no overhead
>obstructions...
>The wind could also have fun with our transport...

Firstly, I think the diagram may be a joke.

Here is my solution.  The SRB is not solidly attached to the cars.
A large platform, spanning 4 or so flatbeds is constructed.  This
platform rests on movable runners.  When the train turns, the
edges of the platform are allowed to "stick out" a bit.  The runners
will have some degree of freedon in the perpendicular direction to the
cars, as well as a little parallel play.  Now the SRB can stay straight
while the train turns.  The only drawback to this is if you have
a tight turn in a narrow tunnel, the SRB will scrape the walls.
I do not think this will happen.  A tunnel is built to avoid tight
turns.  The shortest distance is a straight line, and digging tunnels
is costly. Thus I would bet all tunnels are pretty much straight as an
arrow.

Aaron "The Lumberjack" Birenboim|"In the begining, the Universe was created...
                                | This made a lot of people angry, and was
         GO TROJANS!!           | widely reguarded as a bad move."
 birenboi@castor.usc.edu        |   -Douglass Adams  _The Guide_

roston@ragnarok.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Gerry Roston) (10/14/88)

>Thus I would bet all tunnels are pretty much straight as an
>arrow.
>Aaron "The Limberjack" Birenboim

First, apologies about non-sequitor topics and bad spelling:

Aaron, where on earth did you come up with the silly notion of tunnels
being straight????

Get a book on the Anza-Borrego National Desert, (its about 3 hours
from LA, just across the mountains from Palomar (worth seeing)).  They
have train tunnels though parts of that area which have NO STRAIGHT
stretches at all.

As to the origianl posting, I seriously doubt that one could transport
an item as large as the shuttle booster from CA to FA because there
would be too many obstructions along the way

gerry roston, robotic systems research group
jet propulsion laboratory, 4800 oak grove drive, m/s 23
pasadena, california, 91109, (818) 354-9124  (818) 354-6508
roston@robotics.jpl.nasa.gov

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (10/14/88)

There are other problems with keeping the SRB straight while the train turns
corners. These are, in order of the amount of damage they can do to the booster,
hills, trees, and railroad equipment.
--
		Peter da Silva  `-_-'  peter@sugar.uu.net
		 Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?

In article <1621@nunki.usc.edu> birenboi@sal15.usc.edu (Aaron Birenboim) writes:
>... The only drawback to this is if you have
>a tight turn in a narrow tunnel, the SRB will scrape the walls.

It goes farther than tunnels, unfortunately.  There is a specific standard
for how wide a loaded railcar can be, and things like signal lights and
electrical boxes are often found just beyond that.  Even on curves.  Any
long, inflexible load that has to (so to speak) go across corners rather
than around them is going to be in big trouble very quickly.  Won't work.

In hindsight, the standard railroad gauge, car size, etc. is definitely
a bit on the small side.  It is much too late to do anything about it,
on this planet at least.
--
The meek can have the Earth;    |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
the rest of us have other plans.|uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

glennw@nsc.nsc.com (Glenn Weinberg) (10/15/88)

You know, trains are not the only way to ship things long distances.
Barges would be more than large enough to hold an entire SRB, and you
don't have to worry about tight corners, bridges or trees!

Sure, you can't build your SRB plant in the middle of the desert or high
in the Rockies, but you aren't limited to coastal sites either.  Virtually
anywhere along the Mississippi or Ohio (maybe even the Tennessee now, I
guess), or even along most of the shores of the Great Lakes would do just
fine.  What's wrong with a little pork barrel for the Rust Belt for a
change, anyway? :-)

Protection from salt spray during the final part of the trip (or the whole
trip if your plant was on the coast) would certainly be important, but
that isn't that hard.  Besides, if the casings can stand actually being IN
salt water like they are following a launch, they can't be too susceptible
to damage.  Anyway, the area of greatest potential damage would be the
joints, and in a one-piece design there aren't any!

So, I just wanted to point out that unless you absolutely must locate
your SRB plant in Utah (:-), you don't have as severe a restriction
from shipping limitations as you might think.
--
Glenn Weinberg					Email: glennw@nsc.nsc.com
National Semiconductor Corporation		Phone: (408) 721-8102

jbvb@ftp.COM (James Van Bokkelen) (10/16/88)

Standard railroad freight cars get to be about 11 feet wide, 18 feet
high (from the railhead) and 85 feet long.  With low-profile frame
and 26" wheels, this leaves about 15 eet of height for the load.
Much longer loads have been shipped by rail (on the order of 150 feet
long spread across three or four flatcars), but they have been less than
11 feet wide, due to clearance on curves.

Weight is another issue; most track can only take about 30 tons per carrying
axle.  Some giant generator-rotor carrying cars have been built, which can
hack up to 250 tons, but they use up to 24 axles in a complex articulated
design.

jbvb

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (10/16/88)

In article <1988Oct14.171107.1946@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> It goes farther than tunnels, unfortunately.  There is a specific standard
> for how wide a loaded railcar can be, and things like signal lights and
> electrical boxes are often found just beyond that.

Not to mention clearance detectors. I can just see the booster wiping one
of those off. The driver would get a (spoken) message from the Hotbox unit:

<railroad> trackside analyser, milepost three two seven point five.
First clearance alarm axle one one five from head of train. Critical.
Second clearance alarm axle one one six from head of train. Critical.
Third clearance alarm axle one one seven from head of train. Critical.
Fourth clearance alarm axle one one eight from head of train. Critical.

Oh well, at least they'd find out about the problem *real* fast, since they'd
have to stop the train and walk it.
--

john@frog.UUCP (John Woods) (10/16/88)

In article <2818@sugar.uu.net>, peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>There are other problems with keeping the SRB straight while the train turns
>corners. These are, in order of the amount of damage they can do to the
>booster, hills, trees, and railroad equipment.

Well, the answer is simple:  how about an SRB made entirely out of rubber?
--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, john@frog.UUCP, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw@eddie.mit.edu

	Goooooood Morning Discovery!	-Robin Williams

	Abracadabra, 'press to MECO', America is back in space!