[sci.space.shuttle] Vandenburg never to used?

andy@pyrtech (Andy Mascsak) (10/03/88)

In recent articles it appears that everyone has written off the Vandenburg
facility for shuttle launches.

Having lived near there for 28 years, my understanding of the state of the
facility is that it is fully operational and waiting for a shuttle to
launch.

It is also the only way I know of to get the suttle into a polar orbit.
That type of orbit definitely has some scientific and military advantages.

Andy

In article <41680@pyramid.pyramid.com> andy@pyrtech.pyramid.com (Andy Mascsak) writes:
>In recent articles it appears that everyone has written off the Vandenburg
>facility for shuttle launches.
>
>Having lived near there for 28 years, my understanding of the state of the
>facility is that it is fully operational and waiting for a shuttle...

Sorry, no:  it's been mothballed, and is unlikely to be revived.  Congress
finally told the USAF "either make some plans to use that facility, or put
it in mothballs so you aren't spending millions to keep it ready for non-
existent missions".  The USAF, which has never been really keen on the
shuttle, opted for mothballs.  NASA is not happy but didn't have a lot of
say in the matter.

>It is also the only way I know of to get the suttle into a polar orbit.
>That type of orbit definitely has some scientific and military advantages.

Definitely.  In fact, there are people even within the USAF who are unhappy
about not having a polar-orbit shuttle capability.  But they didn't have
the money and clout needed to keep it going.  Anything going into polar
orbit in the foreseeable future is going to get there on an expendable.
--
The meek can have the Earth;    |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
the rest of us have other plans.|uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

dave@viper.Lynx.MN.Org (David Messer) (10/04/88)

In article <41680@pyramid.pyramid.com> andy@pyrtech.pyramid.com (Andy Mascsak) writes:
 >In recent articles it appears that everyone has written off the Vandenburg
 >facility for shuttle launches.

This question came up in the post-landing press conference.
The answer was that there is no plans for a flight from
Vandenburg and, if it ever is used, it won't be until after 1994.
--
If you can't convince |   David Messer - (dave@Lynx.MN.Org)
them, confuse them.   |   Lynx Data Systems
                      |   amdahl   --!bungia!viper!dave
                      |   hpda    /

Copyright 1988 David Messer -- All Rights Reserved
This work may be freely copied.  Any restrictions on
redistribution of this work are prohibited.

tneff@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Neff) (10/04/88)

In article <41680@pyramid.pyramid.com> andy@pyrtech.pyramid.com (Andy Mascsak) writes:
>In recent articles it appears that everyone has written off the Vandenburg
>facility for shuttle launches.

Everyone, in this case, includes the Air Force, which announced that
Vandenberg was mothballed for the indefinite future as of last year.

>Having lived near there for 28 years, my understanding of the state of the
>facility is that it is fully operational and waiting for a shuttle to
>launch.

My understanding is that (a) there were severe quality control problems
which threatened to cost millions to fix and set the launch schedule
way back even BEFORE the Challenger explosion; and (b) there were
safety issues with launch ground tracks, weather conditions etc. which
made launches all but unacceptable in light of the tightened
post-Challenger criteria.

>It is also the only way I know of to get the suttle into a polar orbit.
>That type of orbit definitely has some scientific and military advantages.

Welcome to the rediscovery of the Mixed Fleet.  :-)  Shuttles from KSC
with a northerly roll (instead of the southerly roll Discovery took)
can place smaller payloads in high inclination orbits, suitable for
polarization via PAM or IUS or whatever, although the Orbiter does not
go polar itself.  If you have something larger to put in polar orbit
directly, talk to the nice folks at Delta.
--
Tom Neff			UUCP: ...!cmcl2!phri!dasys1!tneff
	"None of your toys	CIS: 76556,2536	       MCI: TNEFF

nixon@cisunx.UUCP (Bill 'Deus' Nixon) (10/04/88)

I thought I heard after Challenger, that Vandenburg was too risky a
launch site.  Didn't they have to modify the Shuttle Main engines in
Discovery (or maybe Atlantis) to even attempt a launch from Vandenburgh?

Also, didn't one of the early military/shuttle flights of Columbia get
into a polar orbit?  I remember on one flight that it was possible for
people up here on the East Coast to "see" the shuttle as it flew over.

Bill Nixon

kenny@m.cs.uiuc.edu (10/05/88)

/* Written 10:57 am  Oct  4, 1988 by nixon@cisunx.UUCP in m.cs.uiuc.edu:sci.space.shuttle */
/* ---------- "Re: Vandenburg never to used?" ---------- */

>I thought I heard after Challenger, that Vandenburg was too risky a
>launch site.  Didn't they have to modify the Shuttle Main engines in
>Discovery (or maybe Atlantis) to even attempt a launch from Vandenburgh?

No, the risks were with the possibility of the polar ground track
presenting a risk to populated areas, even from Vandenberg (Can't
*anyone* spell Vandenberg?)  The SSME's would be standard.

>Also, didn't one of the early military/shuttle flights of Columbia get
>into a polar orbit?  I remember on one flight that it was possible for
>people up here on the East Coast to "see" the shuttle as it flew over.

High-inclination, but not polar.  Ones that you might have seen at a
fairly high latitude include

Flight	Date		Orbiter		Inclination	Notes

STS-1	4-12-81		Columbia	40.3
STS-2	11-12-81	Columbia	38.0	SIR-A
STS-9	11-28-83	Columbia	57.0	SpaceLab 1
41-G	10-5-84		Challenger	57.0			(STS-13)
51-C	1-24-85		Discovery	 **	DoD		(STS-15)
51-B	4-29-85		Challenger	57.0	SpaceLab 3	(STS-17)
51-F	7-29-85		Challenger	50.0	SpaceLab 2	(STS-19)
51-J	10-3-85		Atlantis	 **	DoD		(STS-21)
61-A	10-30-85	Challenger	57.0	SpaceLab D-1	(STS-22)

** - Orbital elements were not released.

Kevin Kenny			   UUCP: {uunet,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!kenny
Illini Space Development Society   ARPA Internet or CSNet: kenny@CS.UIUC.EDU
P.O. Box 2255, Station A
Champaign, Illinois, 61820	   Voice: (217) 333-6680

In article <12984@cisunx.UUCP> nixon@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Bill 'Deus' Nixon) writes:
>I thought I heard after Challenger, that Vandenburg was too risky a
>launch site.  Didn't they have to modify the Shuttle Main engines in
>Discovery (or maybe Atlantis) to even attempt a launch from Vandenburgh?

No, it could be done, but with rather limited payloads.  The trouble was
that some of the payloads that people (read:  "USAF") wanted to launch
on shuttles from Vandenberg were pretty heavy.  That's why there was work
done on various ways of improving performance.

>Also, didn't one of the early military/shuttle flights of Columbia get
>into a polar orbit?  ...

Not really.  One of the Spacelab missions used an orbit with a rather
higher inclination than usual, but it wasn't a polar orbit -- it was
something like 60 degrees.
--

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (10/07/88)

In article <41680@pyramid.pyramid.com>, andy@pyrtech (Andy Mascsak) writes:
> In recent articles it appears that everyone has written off the Vandenburg
> facility for shuttle launches.
> Having lived near there for 28 years, my understanding of the state of the
> facility is that it is fully operational and waiting for a shuttle to
> launch.
> It is also the only way I know of to get the suttle into a polar orbit.
> That type of orbit definitely has some scientific and military advantages.

Nope, Space Launch Complex 6 (the shuttle pad) at VAFB is a complete
write-off.  There are so many flawed welds that the only way to rebuild
the complex would be to tear it apart and start over again.  I
understand they are going to use it for one launch, however; they are
going to send up the top 25 officers of the contractor repsonsible for
this mess in a bathtub strapped to the top of a decomissioned Atlas!

If you've lived near there for 28 years, you should *know* that it is
spelled "Vandenberg" too.
--
                     {hpda, uwmcsd1}!sp7040!obie!wes

         "How do you make the boat go when there's no wind?"
                                 -- Me --

In article <22000004@m.cs.uiuc.edu> kenny@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>No, the risks were with the possibility of the polar ground track
>presenting a risk to populated areas, even from Vandenberg (Can't
>*anyone* spell Vandenberg?)

Say what?  Care to elaborate?  Downrange from Vandenberg there is
*nothing* but lots and lots and lots of empty ocean, so empty that the
choice of emergency landing sites is extremely limited.  (There is
basically *one* on each of the two interesting launch azimuths, each
a tiny speck of an island.)  The closest significant land mass downrange
is Antarctica.

Polar launches from Vandenberg are routine; it is *the* US polar-orbit
launch site.

Are you thinking, perhaps, of OMB's asinine idea of launching the shuttle
northward into polar orbit from KSC?
--

kenny@m.cs.uiuc.edu (10/10/88)

/* Written  6:34 pm  Oct  8, 1988 by henry@utzoo.uucp in m.cs.uiuc.edu:sci.space.shuttle */
In article <22000004@m.cs.uiuc.edu> kenny@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>No, the risks were with the possibility of the polar ground track
>presenting a risk to populated areas, even from Vandenberg (Can't
>*anyone* spell Vandenberg?)

Say what?  Care to elaborate?  Downrange from Vandenberg there is
*nothing* but lots and lots and lots of empty ocean, so empty that the
choice of emergency landing sites is extremely limited.

/* End of text from m.cs.uiuc.edu:sci.space.shuttle */

True for the retrograde sun-synchronous orbits that we use for most
polar-orbiting satellites.  (And I don't like Isla de Pascua as a
contingency landing site any more than you do.)  If you work out the
azimuth for the anterograde sun-synchronous orbit that one of the
earlier postings was describing, or for an anterograde Molniya orbit,
there *is* a problem with the ground track coming too close to Pacific
Coast cities.  That's why, if you look at the elements for metsats,
for instance, Meteor and NOAA, you'll see that ours all cluster around
inclination 99 degrees, while the Soviet ones (which don't have the
constraint) cluster around 82.5 degrees; the Soviets can use the
cheaper orbit.

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (10/10/88)

/* Written 10:57 am  Oct  4, 1988 by nixon@cisunx.UUCP in m.cs.uiuc.edu:sci.space.shuttle */
/* ---------- "Re: Vandenburg never to used?" ---------- */
> I thought I heard after Challenger, that Vandenburg was too risky a
> launch site.  Didn't they have to modify the Shuttle Main engines in
> Discovery (or maybe Atlantis) to even attempt a launch from Vandenburgh?

In article <22000004@m.cs.uiuc.edu>, kenny@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
| No, the risks were with the possibility of the polar ground track
| presenting a risk to populated areas, even from Vandenberg (Can't
| *anyone* spell Vandenberg?)  The SSME's would be standard.

Actually, a launch to the south from VAFB would not encounter any
populated areas until the second orbit, which *should* be enough time to
get the orbiter under control :-).  The problem with SLC-6 at Vandenberg
is that the welds in the launch complex itself are unsafe; it has
nothing to do with geography.  (And yes, I *can* spell Vandenberg; you
kind of have to when you live in the Vandenberg Inn at Vandenberg
Village for months at a time :-).
--

wats@scicom.alphacdc.com (Bruce Watson) (10/11/88)

In article <22000004@m.cs.uiuc.edu:, kenny@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
:
[...]
The Discovery STS-15 flight had an inclination of 28.4 degrees and the
Atlantis STS-22 was at 28.5.  Source: TRW Space Log, Vol. 23, 1987.

knudsen@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Knudsen) (10/13/88)

In article <22000007@m.cs.uiuc.edu>, kenny@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
> Say what?  Care to elaborate?  Downrange from Vandenberg there is
> *nothing* but lots and lots and lots of empty ocean, so empty that the
> choice of emergency landing sites is extremely limited.

> True for the retrograde sun-synchronous orbits that we use for most
> polar-orbiting satellites.  (And I don't like Isla de Pascua as a
> contingency landing site any more than you do.)  If you work out the

There is a reasonably good novel "Shuttle Down" about a shuttle
launch from Vandenberg that suffers a premature MECO (all 3)
and has to land at Easter Island.  Mostly concerns the technical
and political (Chile) headaches of getting the unharmed bird
back to the US.  Such as improving the runway enough to land the
special 747 and the cargo planes that bring in a mobile version
of the Mating Facility or whatever we call the crane that lifts
the orbiter onto that 747's back.  Of course the author threw in a
terrorist attack, possibly Soviet-inspired...

The landing was hurried but easy, since the Easter Island/I de P
tower just "happened" to be monitoring their radio (they get
one scheduled flighter per week).

Landing the orbiter at one of these abort sites (we have them in
Spain and the now-slandered (?) Gambia, Africa for Canaveral launches)
may be easier than getting the orbiter back.  And if the payload is
some sensitive DOD spystat, it can get even stickier.  This too was
touched on in the book.

knudsen@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Knudsen) (10/14/88)

In article <221@obie.UUCP>, wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) writes:
> get the orbiter under control :-).  The problem with SLC-6 at Vandenberg
> is that the welds in the launch complex itself are unsafe; it has
> nothing to do with geography.  (And yes, I *can* spell Vandenberg; you

You mean the gantry, pad, and/or crawler were built with
shoddy workmanship?  Sleazy subcontractor using scab labor?
Can we sentence the responsible party to life in Morton Thiokol's
salt mines?  Seriously, can the welds be fixed, or is the weakness
to all-pervasive?  Enquiring minds wanna "no."
--
Mike Knudsen  Bell Labs(AT&T)   att!ihlpl!knudsen
"Lawyers are like handguns and nuclear bombs.  Nobody likes them,

carson@tron.UUCP (Dana Carson) (10/14/88)

In article <7166@ihlpl.ATT.COM> knudsen@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Knudsen) writes:
>There is a reasonably good novel "Shuttle Down" about a shuttle
>launch from Vandenberg that suffers a premature MECO (all 3)
>and has to land at Easter Island.  Mostly concerns the technical
>and political (Chile) headaches of getting the unharmed bird
>back to the US.  Such as improving the runway enough to land the
>some sensitive DOD spystat, it can get even stickier.  This too was
>touched on in the book.

One of the people I work with called NASA about one of the things in the
book.  As Lee Correy stated they don't carry passports and at least then
had no plans to start.  So they could be considered ilegal aliens :-)

--
Dana Carson
Westinghouse Electronic Systems Group  Mail Stop 1615

In article <7166@ihlpl.ATT.COM> knudsen@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Knudsen) writes:
>There is a reasonably good novel "Shuttle Down" about a shuttle
>launch from Vandenberg that suffers a premature MECO (all 3)
>and has to land at Easter Island.  Mostly concerns the technical
>and political (Chile) headaches of getting the unharmed bird
>back to the US...

Harry Stine (who writes fiction as Lee Correy), who wrote "Shuttle Down",
can probably take some credit for getting a lot more emergency-landing
preparations made.  Many of the problems in the book have been fixed;
for example, things like runway upgrades have been done on Rapa Nui (aka
Isla de Pascua, aka Easter Island).
--

In article <375@tron.UUCP> carson@tron.UMD.EDU (Dana Carson) writes:
>... As Lee Correy stated they don't carry passports and at least then
>had no plans to start...

I'm told that this has changed.