[sci.space.shuttle] Soviet and American Shuttles

david@beowulf.JPL.NASA.GOV (David Smyth) (10/11/88)

In article <1574@nunki.usc.edu> birenboi@sal6.usc.edu (Aaron Birenboim) writes:

>To say that the Soviet shuttle has no engines, however, is a misnomer.
>THE SOVIET SHUTTLE HAS JET ENGINES.  The soviet shuttle is actually a
>full fledged PLANE.  They have flown it around, and it has the ability
>to take off from the ground, as a plane does!  No more talk about the
>soviets copying us.  They used our exterior design idea, but made
>MANY, MANY improvements to it.  By using Jet engines, re-entry is
>much safer and easier, because they can make many passes at a landing,
>and don't need so many computers calculating an optimum flight trajectory.
>They can probably fly the thing on total manual control, should
>the computers die.  By removing the bulky rocked engines, they also
>have much more room for payload, in addition to the heavier load capacity
>of the Energia system.

I sincerely doubt that this is true.

1) Why would they want to fly the thing around like an airplane? This would
require lotsa stuff completely unnnecesary for spaceflight: landing gear
retractors, juet fuel tanks, all the junk to control the jet engines, ...

2) How fast do you thin the shuttle needs to go to get enough lift to
go UP?  Right now, the shuttle decends at about 100 feet per second
throughout the re-entry: The thing does NOT fly, it drops like a brick.
The wings just increase the manoeverability.

3) The Shuttle is such a bizarre handling aircraft that pilots tend to
put it into PIO (Pilot Induced Oscillation).  The center of pitch is
several airframe lengths in front of the vehicle: when you pull back on
the stick, the craft "feels" like it begins to sink quicker, when you
push forward on the stick, it "feels" like it starts to go up!  This is
why it is NOT landed by pilots, but by the auto-land system.  I watched
the pilots try to land it on the Rockwell simulator, and I NEVER saw
anybody do it: they ALWAYS crashed.  The first landing on the runway
at Edwards by the Enterprise, in front of all the political luminaries,
was almost a disaster: they started that approach with the pilots
on the sticks, and the gound controllers had to shut them off because
they were approaching to structural limits of the airframe!  The autoland
system greased it on that time, and has hit the numbers every time since.
The pilots DO NOT land the shuttle!  I do not believe the Russians
could land theirs manually either.  The handling of both vehicles will
be similar.

4) I doubt that jet engines poweful enough to get that turkey flying
would weigh less than the SSMEs.  Also, they do NOT have air intakes
exposed, so any jet engines must be retractable: think for a moment
how much weight and bulk THAT stuff would add to the soviet shuttle.

Conclusion:  I think we will find that the soviet shuttle has only
OMS and RCS rockets, no other form of propulsion.  That does make it
simpler.  And, I'll bet a donut that it will fly with IBM 370s in
the racks, executing HAL/S software, just like ours.  JUST like
ours.

birenboi@sal18.usc.edu (Aaron Birenboim) (10/12/88)

In article <3020@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> david@beowulf.JPL.NASA.GOV (David Smyth) writes:
>In article <1574@nunki.usc.edu> birenboi@sal6.usc.edu (Aaron Birenboim) writes:
>>
>>To say that the Soviet shuttle has no engines, however, is a misnomer.
>>THE SOVIET SHUTTLE HAS JET ENGINES.  The soviet shuttle is actually a
>>full fledged PLANE.

>I sincerely doubt that this is true.
>
>1) Why would they want to fly the thing around like an airplane? This would
>require lotsa stuff completely unnnecesary for spaceflight: landing gear
>retractors, juet fuel tanks, all the junk to control the jet engines, ...

The shuttle already has Flight control hardware, and a lot of hardware
for rocket engines.  I am but a student, but I think that whatever
hardware that is necessary for the shuttle's rockets is larger
that whatever jet engine is needed to power the Shuttlesky.  Unfortunately,
I cannot quote documents other than word of mouth of an ex director
of JPL Deep Space Network.  What have you seen that shows no Air intake?
One photo which may have been re-touched is inconclusive.
Who knows, they may even have covers for the air intake durring launch.

>3) The Shuttle is such a bizarre handling aircraft that pilots tend to
>put it into PIO (Pilot Induced Oscillation).  The center of pitch is
>several airframe lengths in front of the vehicle...

Can this be said of Shuttlesky also, without much knowledge of their
design details?  Does anybody have some estimates of the mass of
Shuttlesky?
If Shuttlesky can "fly" it would handle much better, although
the shape of Shuttlesky may raise some doubt.

>4) I doubt that jet engines poweful enough to get that turkey flying
>would weigh less than the SSMEs.

Do people who have worked with these systems think this is a valid accessment?

>Conclusion:  I think we will find that the soviet shuttle has only
>OMS and RCS rockets, no other form of propulsion.  That does make it
>simpler.  And, I'll bet a donut that it will fly with IBM 370s in
>the racks, executing HAL/S software, just like ours.  JUST like
>ours.

They STARTED development quite a while after us.  I expect that their
computers, if nothing else, would be ahead of ours.

Is there anybody else who has heard of Jets on the Shuttlesky?
(flames welcome)

Aaron "The Lumberjack" Birenboim|"In the begining, the Universe was created...
                                | This made a lot of people angry, and was
         GO TROJANS!!           | widely reguarded as a bad move."
 birenboi@castor.usc.edu        |   -Douglass Adams  _The Guide_

laurel@super.ORG (Our Friends Up the Way) (10/12/88)

In article <1574@nunki.usc.edu> birenboi@sal6.usc.edu (Aaron Birenboim) writes:

>THE SOVIET SHUTTLE HAS JET ENGINES.  The soviet shuttle is actually a
>full fledged PLANE.  They have flown it around, and it has the ability
>to take off from the ground, as a plane does!  No more talk about the
>soviets copying us.  They used our exterior design idea, but made
>MANY, MANY improvements to it.

Rubbish! I have seen the Soviet Space Shuttle, and it is almost
identical to ours. In fact, most Americans would not be able to
tell the difference between it and ours (except for the CCCP marking
on the left wing). The most obvious difference I noticed was that
the SRB's are much shorter. Other than that, its' a genuine
example of technology transfer. First flight is scheduled for early
December; delayed probably by a need to redesign the O rings.

jp@linus.UUCP (Jeffrey Picciotto) (10/12/88)

David Smyth writes:

>2) How fast do you thin the shuttle needs to go to get enough lift to
>go UP?  Right now, the shuttle decends at about 100 feet per second
>throughout the re-entry: The thing does NOT fly, it drops like a brick.
>The wings just increase the manoeverability.

Is this really true?  How fast is it descending when it touches down?
Assuming a reasonably slow rate of descent, doesn't this show that the
shuttle could fly if it had useful and sufficiently powerful engines
available?

Just curious,

--jeff
{*}!linus!jp
jpicc@mitre-bedford.arpa

petej@phred.UUCP (Pete Jarvis) (10/12/88)

>push forward on the stick, it "feels" like it starts to go up!  This is
>why it is NOT landed by pilots, but by the auto-land system.  I watched
>the pilots try to land it on the Rockwell simulator, and I NEVER saw
>anybody do it: they ALWAYS crashed.  The first landing on the runway
>at Edwards by the Enterprise, in front of all the political luminaries,
>was almost a disaster: they started that approach with the pilots
>on the sticks, and the gound controllers had to shut them off because
>they were approaching to structural limits of the airframe!  The autoland
>system greased it on that time, and has hit the numbers every time since.
>The pilots DO NOT land the shuttle!  I do not believe the Russians

Everything I have ever heard about Shuttle landing capability has said that
the Shuttle Auto-land avionics software does most of flying/gliding for the
vehicle with the pilots taking over at various intervals. However, on final
approach, I heard the Auto-land system has NOT been used because they are
unsure about the results and until they can test it more thoroughly, will
not be used. The pilots, I hear, take over doing the "S" turns and on down
to the landing. The pilots at the very least have stick control on short
final. I saw a Shuttle taped special once that said the commander, (I
forget who and what Shuttle it was), "was going to try to hit the numbers".
He greased it right on the numbers. The Auto-land system would not have
been able to do that except by luck.

Peter Jarvis..........Physio-Control - Redmond, WA.

chuck@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU (Chuck Swenson) (10/12/88)

(Aaron Birenboim) writes:
> Is there anybody else who has heard of Jets on the Shuttlesky?

	It seems I heard they had jets on it for testing only and they
had been removed for flight. They did not use a 747 to haul it up for
atmospheric testing and landings but actually did runway takeoff. I
think this came from Aviation Week a couple months ago, but then I
have a poor memory and it might all be fiction.

Charles Swenson,                   School of Elect. Eng.,  Upson Hall
                                    Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853
ARPA: chuck@calvin.ee.cornell.edu
SPAN: STAR::"chuck@calvin.ee.cornell.edu"

sw@whuts.UUCP (WARMINK) (10/12/88)

In article <40869@linus.UUCP>, jp@linus.UUCP (Jeffrey Picciotto) writes:
> David Smyth writes:
> >2) How fast do you thin the shuttle needs to go to get enough lift to
> >go UP?  Right now, the shuttle decends at about 100 feet per second
> >throughout the re-entry: The thing does NOT fly, it drops like a brick.
> >The wings just increase the manoeverability.
>
> Is this really true?  How fast is it descending when it touches down?
> Assuming a reasonably slow rate of descent, doesn't this show that the
> shuttle could fly if it had useful and sufficiently powerful engines
> available?

With a lift to drag ratio of approximately 4:1, it can be seen that for level flight
the thrust of the engine(s) has to be at least 25% of the Shuttle's weight.

Speed is not the only factor in determining rate of climb - angle of attack is too.
There is a tradeoff between low-speed, high angle of attack and high-speed,
low angle of attack flight, the optimum rate of climb is usually somewhere
in between.

The best gliding angle is also given by the L/D ratio (atan(D/L)), but in order to land
with zero vertical velocity the actual glideslope is steeper, and the excess energy
is used to allow for an increase of angle of attack in order to reduce the final
rate of descent to nearly zero.

So, I suppose the answer is that anything with any lift at all will fly,
given enough thrust....
   Xlb lbtvist dufyew iyr qglr rgua alta?    |  Stuart Warmink, NAPC
   (Qwkk sibw, Hun lbs Jwbbt!)               |  <att!>whuts!sw Whippany NJ USA
-----------> My opinions are not necessarily those of my employer <-----------

kluksdah@enuxha.UUCP (Norman C. Kluksdahl) (10/13/88)

In article <709@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU>, chuck@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU (Chuck Swenson) writes:

stuff deleted

> 	It seems I heard they had jets on it for testing only and they
> had been removed for flight. They did not use a 747 to haul it up for
> atmospheric testing and landings but actually did runway takeoff. I
> think this came from Aviation Week a couple months ago, but then I
> have a poor memory and it might all be fiction.

One of the first photographs of the soviet shuttle was taken by a recon
satellite, after the Bear carrier plane ended up stuck on the side of the
runway after missing a taxiway (apparently).  Speculation at that point
was that the Soviet shuttle would be tested in much the same manner as
the US shuttle--i.e. air launching from a carrier plane.  (this was a
while ago, BTW.  I think it was in AvWeek, but i'm not sure.)

N. Kluksdahl

standard disclaimer implied.

stuart@speedy.cs.wisc.edu (Stuart Friedberg) (10/13/88)

Unfortunately, this posting doesn't include the text I wish to respond
to, but the essence was "I have seen the Soviet shuttle; it's just like
ours, they used (stole) our design; the SRB's are just a little shorter,
they're probably delaying launch to fix the O-rings."

That is nonsense.  No matter how much the reentry body looks the same
externally, it's not our design.  The Soviet shuttle doesn't have
SRB's, and it doesn't have O-rings.  The boosters are liquid-fueled,
unlike the NASA *Solid* Rocket Boosters.  They are not assembled from
pre-fabricated sections, with field joints requiring O-rings.  The
Soviet shuttle is an external payload on an existing Soviet heavy
launcher.  The *liquid fuel* boosters *without O-rings* belong to the
launcher.  The Soviet shuttle does not have anything at all like the
NASA shuttle's SSME (Space Shuttle Main Engines).

steve@eos.UUCP (Steve Philipson) (10/13/88)

In article <3020@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> david@beowulf.JPL.NASA.GOV (David Smyth) writes:
>In article <1574@nunki.usc.edu> birenboi@sal6.usc.edu (Aaron Birenboim) writes:
>>
>>To say that the Soviet shuttle has no engines, however, is a misnomer.
>>THE SOVIET SHUTTLE HAS JET ENGINES.  The soviet shuttle is actually a
>>full fledged PLANE.  They have flown it around, and it has the ability
>>to take off from the ground, as a plane does!  No more talk about the

>I sincerely doubt that this is true.

   I haven't been reading this group very long, but still I am amazed at
the amount of noise, mis-information, and uninformed speculation here.
The sincer doubters should try reading Aviation Week once in a while.
Many of the issues bludgeoned to death in this group are clearly explained
in "Av Leak".   Some time ago, Av Week ran a few short articles on
the Soviet "shuttle".  It was fitted with jet engines for atmospheric
test flights.  I think (not sure) that it was capable of rising off
ground under it's own power.  As I recall, it was not planned to use
them for re-entry maneuvering -- they would likely be removed prior
to space flight.  I leave it to anyone really interested to look it up.

>2) How fast do you thin the shuttle needs to go to get enough lift to
>go UP?  Right now, the shuttle decends at about 100 feet per second
>throughout the re-entry: The thing does NOT fly, it drops like a brick.
>The wings just increase the manoeverability.

   I've never seen a brick flare and land softly.  It may require a
large amount of thrust to make it sustain altitude or climb, but it
doesn't have to be flying extremely fast.

>3) The Shuttle is such a bizarre handling aircraft that pilots tend to
>put it into PIO (Pilot Induced Oscillation).  [...]  This is
>why it is NOT landed by pilots, but by the auto-land system.  I watched
>the pilots try to land it on the Rockwell simulator, and I NEVER saw
>anybody do it: they ALWAYS crashed.  The first landing on the runway
>at Edwards by the Enterprise, in front of all the political luminaries,
>was almost a disaster: they started that approach with the pilots
>on the sticks, and the gound controllers had to shut them off because
>they were approaching to structural limits of the airframe!  The autoland
>system greased it on that time, and has hit the numbers every time since.
>The pilots DO NOT land the shuttle!  [...]

  No kidding!  Do you remember one of the early shuttle flights where
just after touchdown, the nose got very high before it finally was
lowered for main gear touchdown?  That happened because the pilot
flying made an error.  That was no autoland system flying, but an
old style human being. The shuttle is routinely hand flown through the
final segment of the approach.  It IS flown through a flight control
computer and NOT by direct control (which is reported to be extremely
difficult).  BTW, there was a factual article that described the shuttle
control system and hand flying techniques in either _Analog_ or one
of the other major SF mags as early as 1977-78.  At that time, mission
pilots were practicing to proficiency in hand flying by direct control
to touchdown.

   You'd probably really enjoying some technically correct articles.
Aviation Week is available at libraries everywhere.  Try it some time.
--

						   Steve
					(the certified flying fanatic)

cjp@antique.UUCP (Charles Poirier) (10/13/88)

An American expert on the Soviet space program, whose name and credentials
I can't put my finger on right now, recently spoke at AT&T Bell Laboratories.
My recollection of his words of wisdom is as follows.

The Soviet shuttle is currently undergoing atmospheric test flights.  In
this configuration, it does have air-breathing jet engines.  Why?  Because
Soviet-built airplanes are less powerful than the 747 (I think?) on which we
piggybacked Enterprise for our similar testing.  They can't lift the weight
on a plane, so it is self-powered.  The space-going configuration, however,
will not have jets.

One other tidbit: the Soviet shuttle's equivalent of the SRB's will in fact
be liquid-fueled engines.  Apparently the Soviets have never developed or
used large solid fuel rockets.

	Cheers,
--
	Charles Poirier   (decvax,ucbvax,mcnc,attmail)!vax135!cjp

   "Docking complete...       Docking complete...       Docking complete..."

In article <3020@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> david@beowulf.JPL.NASA.GOV (David Smyth) writes:
>...  And, I'll bet a donut that it will fly with IBM 370s in
>the racks, executing HAL/S software, just like ours.  JUST like
>ours.

That's probably why they're having so much trouble with the software :-)
(which is reported to be the pacing factor in the program at the moment).
"Comrade, I *told* you we should have written our own rather than copying
this American trash!!"  ;-)
--
The meek can have the Earth;    |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
the rest of us have other plans.|uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

In article <1605@nunki.usc.edu> birenboi@sal18.usc.edu (Aaron Birenboim) writes:
>Is there anybody else who has heard of Jets on the Shuttlesky?

One hears conflicting stories about them, actually.  My guess would be
that they'll be on there for the operational flight, especially if the
first flight is unmanned (which could make the landing kind of interesting).
I could be wrong.
--

jwm@stdc.jhuapl.edu (Jim Meritt) (10/14/88)

I}In article <40869@linus.UUCP>, jp@linus.UUCP (Jeffrey Picciotto) writes:
}> David Smyth writes:
}> Assuming a reasonably slow rate of descent, doesn't this show that the
}> shuttle could fly if it had useful and sufficiently powerful engines
}> available?

So, I suppose the answer is that anything with any lift at all will fly,
}given enough thrust....

I was in on the sea trials of the AV-8B.  Proof if I ever saw it that
with enough power you can fly anything!

(that sucker acts wierd!!!!)

Disclaimer: Individuals have opinions, organizations have policy.
            Therefore, these opinions are mine and not any organizations!
Q.E.D.
jwm@aplvax.jhuapl.edu 128.244.65.5  (James W. Meritt)

knudsen@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Knudsen) (10/14/88)

There are NO solid rocket motors on the Soviet shuttle.
The boosters and main rocket (under the "ET") are Energia
liquid jobs.

As for the jet engines, Newsweek implied that they are not currently
installed, and might not be (tho they may have been included
on earlier test flights).

However, someone here pointed out that to truly *fly* a shuttle,
you'd need some pretty powerful engines and lots of fuel to burn.
My speculation is that whatever jets end up on the Russky orbiter
will have just enough power to extend the glide path,
maybe give one more appraoch if the 1st one is aborted early enough,
but the engines would not be able to keep the shuttle up in level
flight, even while the fuel lasts.

Reminds me -- I still wonder whether, if our Shuttle somehow
got dangerously below its landing glide path, the pilots might
fire the hypergolic OMS engines in order to make it to the runway.
--
Mike Knudsen  Bell Labs(AT&T)   att!ihlpl!knudsen
"Lawyers are like handguns and nuclear bombs.  Nobody likes them,

knudsen@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Knudsen) (10/14/88)

In article <1605@nunki.usc.edu>, birenboi@sal18.usc.edu (Aaron Birenboim) writes:
> They STARTED development quite a while after us.  I expect that their
> computers, if nothing else, would be ahead of ours.

Don't forget that in the USSR the 370 is the state of the art,
tho for small stuff they can make an 8080 chip.

At least that's the case for non-classified applications.
At least that's what they'd like us to think.
I'm sure the Soviets have enough Macs or STs or ATs whatever to
raid for better chips.  And whatever software development systems
go with these.

The subject of Soviet computer science and technology is
fascinating.  Those who've seen things over there continue to
confirm a tremendous Soviet lag, but no way could they have seen
the latest military limited-production stuff.

Anyway, given the Russian tendency to stick with tried-and-true
space hardware, I'd say that their Shuttleski's computers
would be no more advanced than ours.
--

leem@jplpro.JPL.NASA.GOV (Lee Mellinger) (10/14/88)

In article <1605@nunki.usc.edu> birenboi@sal18.usc.edu (Aaron Birenboim) writes:
|In article <3020@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> david@beowulf.JPL.NASA.GOV (David Smyth) writes:
|>In article <1574@nunki.usc.edu> birenboi@sal6.usc.edu (Aaron Birenboim) writes:
|>>

|The shuttle already has Flight control hardware, and a lot of hardware
|for rocket engines.  I am but a student, but I think that whatever
|hardware that is necessary for the shuttle's rockets is larger
|that whatever jet engine is needed to power the Shuttlesky.  Unfortunately,
|I cannot quote documents other than word of mouth of an ex director
                                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^
|of JPL Deep Space Network.  What have you seen that shows no Air intake?
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|One photo which may have been re-touched is inconclusive.
|Who knows, they may even have covers for the air intake durring launch.
|

|Can this be said of Shuttlesky also, without much knowledge of their
|design details?  Does anybody have some estimates of the mass of
|Shuttlesky?
|If Shuttlesky can "fly" it would handle much better, although
|the shape of Shuttlesky may raise some doubt.
|
|>4) I doubt that jet engines poweful enough to get that turkey flying
|>would weigh less than the SSMEs.
|
|Do people who have worked with these systems think this is a valid accessment?
|
|>Conclusion:  I think we will find that the soviet shuttle has only
|>OMS and RCS rockets, no other form of propulsion.  That does make it
|>simpler.  And, I'll bet a donut that it will fly with IBM 370s in
|>the racks, executing HAL/S software, just like ours.  JUST like
|>ours.
|
|They STARTED development quite a while after us.  I expect that their
|computers, if nothing else, would be ahead of ours.
|
|Is there anybody else who has heard of Jets on the Shuttlesky?
|(flames welcome)
|
|Aaron "The Lumberjack" Birenboim|"In the begining, the Universe was created...
|                                | This made a lot of people angry, and was
|         GO TROJANS!!           | widely reguarded as a bad move."
| birenboi@castor.usc.edu        |   -Douglass Adams  _The Guide_

I have worked at JPL for 13 years, 10 of those in the DSN, there is
and has not been a "director" of the DSN.  The closest that comes to
that is the Assistant Laboratory Director for the Office of Tracking
and Data Acquisition, which is the office that provides funding and
technical direction for the DSN.  There have been only two ALD's for
TDA prior to the current occupant of that office, and one of those is
deceased, the other is the current JPL Deputy Director. I am,
therefore not convined of the worth of the statements that this person
you talked to, made.

Aviation Week has shown pictures of the Soviet Shuttle and made the
point that the wing planform, the vertical stabliser, the shape and
placement of the cockpit and overhead windows are all apparently
identical with the US shuttle.  In addition, they (the Soviets) have
used insulating blocks on the skin that appear the be very much like
the insulation on the shuttle.  All in all, an excellent job of
technology tranfer.

Aviation Week also reported that there were jet engines installed for
flight tests as others in the newsgroup have indicated.

Lee

|Lee F. Mellinger                         Jet Propulsion Laboratory - NASA|
|4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena, CA 91109 818/393-0516  FTS 977-0516      |
|UUCP: {ames!cit-vax,psivax}!elroy!jpl-devvax!jplpro!leem                 |
|ARPA: jplpro!leem!@cit-vax.ARPA -or- leem@jplpro.JPL.NASA.GOV            |

alastair@geovision.uucp (Alastair Mayer) (10/14/88)

In article <820@super.ORG> laurel@super.UUCP (Michael Tighe) writes:
>In article <1574@nunki.usc.edu> birenboi@sal6.usc.edu (Aaron Birenboim) writes:
>>
>> [.. stuff about Sov Shuttle not being a copy of US Shuttle ]

>Rubbish! I have seen the Soviet Space Shuttle, and it is almost
      Oh really?  Where?  Or do you mean you've seen pictures of it.
>identical to ours. In fact, most Americans would not be able to
>tell the difference between it and ours (except for the CCCP marking
>on the left wing). The most obvious difference I noticed was that
>the SRB's are much shorter. Other than that, its' a genuine
  Not very observant, are you?  They're not *S*RBs, they're *L*RBs -
liquids, not solids, and there are four of them on the Energia core
vehicle that launches shuttleski.  The main engines are also on the
Energia core, not the shuttle.   Because there are no main engines
there's no need to hang the OMS engines and fuel in pods, so the
aft end is missing those bulges adjacent to the tail.
   Wing angles and overall length/width ratio look to be slightly
different, too.
   Most of this can be determined by looking at the picture of the
Soviet shuttle that appeared in Newsweek.

>example of technology transfer. First flight is scheduled for early
>December; delayed probably by a need to redesign the O rings.

   Liquid boosters don't need O-rings.

In article <820@super.ORG> laurel@super.UUCP (Michael Tighe) writes:
>Rubbish! I have seen the Soviet Space Shuttle...

In person?  When?

> In fact, most Americans would not be able to
>tell the difference between it and ours (except for the CCCP marking
>on the left wing).

Most Americans don't know the difference between a planet and a star.
(Really.)

>The most obvious difference I noticed was that
>the SRB's are much shorter. Other than that, its' a genuine
>example of technology transfer. First flight is scheduled for early
>December; delayed probably by a need to redesign the O rings.

There are no O-rings, since there are no SRBs.  (The things that look like
SRBs are four -- not two -- liquid-fuel boosters.)  Please don't sound off
unless you know what you're talking about.
--
The meek can have the Earth;    |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
the rest of us have other plans.|uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

tif@cpe.UUCP (10/15/88)

Written  9:13 am  Oct 12, 1988 by phred.UUCP!petej in cpe:sci.space.shuttle
>I saw a Shuttle taped special once that said the commander, (I
>forget who and what Shuttle it was), "was going to try to hit the numbers".
>He greased it right on the numbers. The Auto-land system would not have
>been able to do that except by luck.

Is that last statement one of fact or opinion?  That seems counter-intuitive.

			Paul Chamberlain
			Computer Product Engineering, Tandy Corp.
			{convex,killer}!ninja!cpe!tif

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (10/16/88)

In article <3020@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> david@beowulf.JPL.NASA.GOV (David Smyth) writes:
>3) The Shuttle is such a bizarre handling aircraft that pilots tend to
>put it into PIO (Pilot Induced Oscillation).  The center of pitch is
>several airframe lengths in front of the vehicle: when you pull back on
>the stick, the craft "feels" like it begins to sink quicker, when you
>push forward on the stick, it "feels" like it starts to go up!  This is
>why it is NOT landed by pilots, but by the auto-land system.  I watched
>the pilots try to land it on the Rockwell simulator, and I NEVER saw
>anybody do it: they ALWAYS crashed.  The first landing on the runway
>at Edwards by the Enterprise, in front of all the political luminaries,
>was almost a disaster: they started that approach with the pilots
>on the sticks, and the gound controllers had to shut them off because
>they were approaching to structural limits of the airframe!  The autoland
>system greased it on that time, and has hit the numbers every time since.
>The pilots DO NOT land the shuttle!

Then why did NASA go to the bother of having an extra set of controls
added to a standard jet aircraft in such a way that the controls made the
plane feel more or less like the shuttle during landing?  Why do the
pilots use this aircraft to practice approaches and landings?  My wife
watched one of her co-workers in the simulator in building 5 at the
Johnson Space Center perform a successful landing.  And this guy is NOT an
astronaut and has never had any official training as an astronaut.  He has
a pilot's license, yes, and he knows quite a bit about the shuttle, yes
(being a flight controller), but he is not an astronaut.

I think you are seriously confused.  The computers *assist* the pilots in
landing, but the pilots still control the craft.  The computers enhance
the controls for the pilots, but the pilots *still* control the craft.
How can the on-board computers "hit the numbers" exactly when they can't
even be all that accurate about the vehicle's exact position?  And if you
wonder what I am talking about, watch for an upcoming posting of mine
about the mysterious "vector to BFS" call.  I have learned quite a bit
more about that, and it is very enlightening.

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>

In article <1703@eos.UUCP> steve@eos.UUCP (Steve Philipson) writes:
>In article <3020@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> david@beowulf.JPL.NASA.GOV (David Smyth) writes:
>>2) How fast do you thin the shuttle needs to go to get enough lift to
>>go UP?  Right now, the shuttle decends at about 100 feet per second
>>throughout the re-entry: The thing does NOT fly, it drops like a brick.
>>The wings just increase the manoeverability.
>
>   I've never seen a brick flare and land softly.  It may require a
>large amount of thrust to make it sustain altitude or climb, but it
>doesn't have to be flying extremely fast.

Quite right.  I watched this last landing very closely, and decided that
the shuttle can glide very nicely when it wants to.  After the flare and
on final approach, it looks like a regular plane coming in for a landing.
I believe that it "drops like a brick" not for aerodynamic reasons, but
because that's the only way to get the shuttle down to the right altitude
in a reasonable amount of time.

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (10/16/88)

In article <1988Oct14.170004.1668@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> Most Americans don't know the difference between a planet and a star.
> (Really.)

Many Americans, for example TV scriptwriters and actors, can't tell the
difference between a planet and the Trifid Nebula.

Ref: Space:1999. Scene: a bunch of actors standing around a picture of the
Trifid Nebula pasted to the wall, ostensibly a videoscreen. Comment: "Is that
a planet?" Reply: "I don't know."...
--
		Peter da Silva  `-_-'  peter@sugar.uu.net
		 Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?

In article <7195@ihlpl.ATT.COM> knudsen@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Knudsen) writes:
>Reminds me -- I still wonder whether, if our Shuttle somehow
>got dangerously below its landing glide path, the pilots might
>fire the hypergolic OMS engines in order to make it to the runway.

They're not powerful enough to do any good.
--

jbrown@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Jordan Brown) (10/17/88)

In article <2008@kalliope.rice.edu> phil@Rice.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:
>Quite right.  I watched this last landing very closely, and decided that
>the shuttle can glide very nicely when it wants to.  After the flare and
>on final approach, it looks like a regular plane coming in for a landing.

Even a brick (well...) can flatten its glide path by turning speed into
altitude (or lack of descent in this case).  Remember, the Shuttle crosses
the EDW field boundary at Mach 1 and touches down at ~200 mph; that energy
has to go *somewhere*, and I believe it's used in the last segment of
the flight to flatten the glide.

craig@think.COM (Craig Stanfill) (10/17/88)

>   I've never seen a brick flare and land softly.  It may require a
>large amount of thrust to make it sustain altitude or climb, but it
>doesn't have to be flying extremely fast.

It doesn't require thrust to sustain altitude or climb, it requires
VEOLCITY.  At Mach 18, a brick is quite capable of sustaining,
climbing, or doing anything it wants to, provided it can be
controlled.  Landing is a bit more constrained:

1)	Your brick must be controllable.
2)	The velocity needed for the brick to sustain altitude
	(or nearly so) must be slow enough to permit landing.
3)	Your brick must be able to reach this level-flight velocity by
	gliding.
4)	The brick needs to be able to pull out of the glide.

These constraints are not incredibly difficult to meet.

					- Craig Stanfill

laurel@super.ORG (Our Friends Up the Way) (10/18/88)

     Recently an article I posted has generated some mail and
some postings. I am going to take this opportunity to clarify
what I said. The article I responded to had the following text:

>THE SOVIET SHUTTLE HAS JET ENGINES.  The soviet shuttle is actually a
>full fledged PLANE.  They have flown it around, and it has the ability
>to take off from the ground, as a plane does!

     This make the SSS sound like some kind of MiG. I answered
with the following text:

>Rubbish! I have seen the Soviet Space Shuttle, and it is almost
>identical to ours. In fact, most Americans would not be able to
>tell the difference between it and ours (except for the CCCP marking
>on the left wing).

Then to my regret, I added:

>The most obvious difference I noticed was that the SRB's are much
>shorter. Other than that, its' a genuine example of technology
>transfer. First flight is scheduled for early December; delayed
>probably by a need to redesign the O rings.

Unfortunately a few readers took these last comments seriously;
Come on! This is obviously a facetious statement. Like I know
when the Soviets are going to launch? I don't know when NASA is
going to launch (and neither do they). My apologies for injecting
a little humor into the topic. Sure, I could have said the Energia
or liquid-fuel boosters, but as they say at the newspaper, "Why
let the facts interfere with a good story?" (more humor).

     I found it odd that the readers that knew the booster rocket
story was wrong respond to it but did not respond to the errors
in the original posting about the SSS being a plane. Better check
your AW&ST subscription.
--
Michael Tighe
Supercomputer Research Center

adolph@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark C. Adolph) (10/18/88)

In article <2008@kalliope.rice.edu> phil@Rice.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:
>Quite right.  I watched this last landing very closely, and decided that
>the shuttle can glide very nicely when it wants to.  After the flare and
>on final approach, it looks like a regular plane coming in for a landing.

I believe that the Enterprise drop-tests revealed that the shuttle got
better ground effect lift than was anticipated.  I'd like to see them
flare that thing at 8000 feet and ride some thermals for a while :-).

--

					-- Mark A.
					...uw-beaver!ssc-vax!adolph

steve@eos.UUCP (Steve Philipson) (10/18/88)

In article <29318@think.UUCP> craig@kulla.think.com.UUCP (Craig Stanfill) writes:
>>   I've never seen a brick flare and land softly.  It may require a
>>large amount of thrust to make it sustain altitude or climb, but it
>>doesn't have to be flying extremely fast.
>
>It doesn't require thrust to sustain altitude or climb, it requires
>VEOLCITY.  At Mach 18, a brick is quite capable of sustaining,
>climbing, or doing anything it wants to, provided it can be
>controlled.  Landing is a bit more constrained:

   Your are incorrect.  Energy input is required.  Velocity can be traded
for lift, but drag is generated in the process; velocity is lost.  If
you want to maintain velocity and altitude, or climb, you've got to add
energy somewhere.  The usual method is to add thrust.  Sailplanes use
updrafts, but the orbiter has too high a sink rate for that.

   If all that was needed was velocity, than your controllable brick
could fly around indefinitely once it reached Mach 18.  This is obviously
wrong.  You might have noticed that supersonic fighters require massive
amounts of thrust to operate even at Mach 2 to 3.

>4)	The brick needs to be able to pull out of the glide.

   You can make a brick controllable by putting fins on it, but it still
won't generate significant lift, it won't glide, and it won't flare
(flatten it's approach trajectory) and is NOT capable of landing.  You
could raise the "nose", but with the shape of a brick you're not going
to get much (if any) lift at reasonable speeds.  Sure, force is generated
by a flat plate at hypersonic speeds, but the orbiter doesn't need
supersonic velocity to generate lift; the landing flare is accomplished
below 300 kts.

   A brick that's shaped to generate lift isn't a brick anymore but
has become a wing, or at least a lifting body.  The orbiter isn't
a brick, even though its lift to drag ratio is low.  The constraints
on shape are considerably more extensive than you imply.
--

cbs@geac.UUCP (Chris Syed) (10/18/88)

In article <29318@think.UUCP>, craig@think.COM (Craig Stanfill) writes:

> It doesn't require thrust to sustain altitude or climb, it requires
> VEOLCITY.

    Well... as I recall from 101, there are four forces acting on an
    aircraft:
                               ^
                             lift
                    < thrust         drag >
                             weight

    It would be more correct to say that _lift_ is required. Lift
    is produced by the velocity of the air passing over the airfoil,
    which has to be greater than the velocity of air passing under the
    airfoil to create a pressure difference). You get this effect in part
    by the aircraft's speed, and in part by the curvature of the wing
    and its angle of attack. If you tip the wing up, you get more lift.
    If you tip it too much, you stall.

    To get better lift at low velocities, most aircraft extend their wing
    surfaces and change their lift-producing characteristics by using flaps,
    (the jumbos use Fowler flaps which are almost big enough to be considered
    'second wings'), and by using a high angle of attack. Many designs also
    incorporate "leading edge devices" to produce more lift at low airspeeds.
    Of course, the flaps are also meant to decrease the speed of the craft
    by inducing more drag.

    The shuttle dosen't have enormous flaps, (at least I don't think so).
    This means you must rely on speed, natural characteristics of the wings,
    and the angle of attack to get your lift on final approach.

          {uunet!mnetor,unicus,yunexus,}!geac!cbs (Chris Syed)

In article <828@super.ORG> laurel@super.UUCP (Michael Tighe) writes:
>Unfortunately a few readers took these last comments seriously;
>Come on! This is obviously a facetious statement...

No, it's either a facetious statement or an ignorant statement.  The
latter type is far from unknown in this newsgroup and others.  Look
folks, if you want to be funny, mark it with ":-)".  Not doing so is
the mark of an inexperienced or careless news poster; this is not a
medium that conveys subtlety well.

>     I found it odd that the readers that knew the booster rocket
>story was wrong respond to it but did not respond to the errors
>in the original posting about the SSS being a plane...

The fact is, nobody's quite sure what the status of the jet engines
on the Soviet shuttle is, since there have been conflicting stories
for a long time.  The booster question is fairly well settled.
--
The meek can have the Earth;    |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
the rest of us have other plans.|uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

fosler@inmet.UUCP (10/22/88)

  Taken from "Shuttle Down" by Lee Correy

   Shuttle Orbiters usually landed under automatic control, guided by
the superaccurate Microwave Scanning Beam Landing System on the
ground.

   There must be a better source then this?

   My understanding is that MSBLS does not exist at most airports and
if the shuttle must land anywhere that doesn't have MSBLS then the
pilots must manually land it.

Carl Fosler