[sci.space.shuttle] Status of teacher-in-space?

richman@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (10/22/88)

Over the past week I have heard 2 bits of news which suggest that
NASA may be planning to proceed with the "teacher in space" program.
One was that some Illinois teacher had been chosen as a semifinalist
and the second was on a TV news show (I was flipping the stations
and missed most of it).  Question #1: Does anyone know, for sure, if
there are concrete plans to go ahead with the teacher in space?
Question #2: What do you think of the idea, given the current status
of the shuttle program?
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Mike Richman                                 icbm:   40 05 N  /  88 14 W
arpanet: richman%uxe@a.cs.uiuc.edu           milnet: richman@uxe.arpa
bitnet:  richman%uxe.cso.uiuc.edu@uiucvmd    point of light #257
csnet:   richman%uxe@uiuc.csnet       internet: richman@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu
uucp:  {puree,convex,uunet,...}!uiucuxc!uxe!richman
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

In article <52700003@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> richman@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>Over the past week I have heard 2 bits of news which suggest that
>NASA may be planning to proceed with the "teacher in space" program...
>... Question #1: Does anyone know, for sure, if
>there are concrete plans to go ahead with the teacher in space?

Last I heard, the citizens-in-space program was on hold but not cancelled.
The shuttle definitely isn't carrying passengers until it is shaken down
again.  There are some factions within NASA, notably some of the astronauts,
that are opposed to passengers in general.  (Fast-jet test pilots are not
used to flying passengers and cargo for a living.)  So far, said factions
have succeeded in getting passengers postponed until the shuttle is
fully operational again, but not in having them permanently excluded.

>Question #2: What do you think of the idea, given the current status
>of the shuttle program?

I fail to see why NASA astronauts should be the only ones allowed to risk
their lives in a good cause.  There are people who ostentatiously claim
that the shuttle can never again be thought of as an "operational" system,
but those same people are perfectly happy to book the shuttle for cargo
flights as if it were operational.
--
The dream *IS* alive...         |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
but not at NASA.                |uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

ken@nsc.nsc.com (Ken Trant) (10/28/88)

in article <1988Oct26.175840.7970@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) says:
>>Over the past week I have heard 2 bits of news which suggest that
>>NASA may be planning to proceed with the "teacher in space" program...
>>... Question #1: Does anyone know, for sure, if
>>there are concrete plans to go ahead with the teacher in space?

 I have been toying with the idea of having my Young Astronauts chapter
write a letter to NASA (or maybe to Congress?) concerning there feelings
about the Teacher in Space program. Does anyone have a suggestion on whom
they should write to?. I am looking for several things.  #1: Someone who will
give them a good response.  #2: Someplace where it will maybe make an impact.

 Any idea's will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

--
PATH= Second star to the right,          {...Ken Trant...}
      and straight on till morning

eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (10/28/88)

The Teacher in Space Program is very much alive.  Barbara Morgan
(you know who's second) recently visited here.  If you would like
to send mail to Congress about this I suggest your local
Congressman, heads of relevant committees, Sen. Garn, Rep. Nelson,
and
	Teacher in Space Program
	Johnson Space Center
	Houston, TX 77058
I can't say the same for Journalist in Space (being alive).

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "Mailers?! HA!", "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {uunet,hplabs,ncar,decwrl,allegra,tektronix}!ames!aurora!eugene
  "Send mail, avoid follow-ups.  If enough, I'll summarize."