[sci.space.shuttle] Secondary launch systems

system@asuvax.UUCP (Marc Lesure) (09/27/88)

With the recent passage of the INF tready, I was wondering if it would be
possible to destroy the warheads and recycle the delivery systems to be
used as a low level satellite launch system?  I don't know the details of
the tready, so this may not be possible.  However, can't the Titan class of
launch system place an object in orbit?  If it can, why not use them to help
clear out the back log of satellites waiting to launch?

Just a wild thought...

Marc Lesure / Arizona State University / Tempe, AZ
"Between the world of men and make-believe, I can be found..."
"False faces and meaningless chases, I travel alone..."
"And where do you go when you come to the end of your dream?"

UUCP:                ...!ncar!noao!asuvax!lesure
Internet/CSNET/ARPA: lesure@asuvax.asu.edu

g-hollin@rocky.cs.wisc.edu.CS.WISC.EDU (Jeff Hollingsworth) (09/27/88)

In article <364@asuvax.UUCP> system@asuvax.UUCP (Marc Lesure) writes:
>With the recent passage of the INF tready, I was wondering if it would be
>possible to destroy the warheads and recycle the delivery systems to be
>used as a low level satellite launch system?  I don't know the details of

Good idea, except the conditions of the INF tready call for the dectruction
of the delivery systems, NOT the missiles.  Each side can do anything they
want with the warheads!  Also the onsite inspection involves inspecting
the plants to make sure both sides are not building new rockets of the same
class.  So we can't even reuse the technology.

Jeff Hollingsworth
hollings@rocky.CS.WISC.EDU

mears@hpindda.HP.COM (David B. Mears) (09/28/88)

> With the recent passage of the INF tready, I was wondering if it would be
> possible to destroy the warheads and recycle the delivery systems to be
> used as a low level satellite launch system?  I don't know the details of
> the tready, so this may not be possible.  However, can't the Titan class of
> launch system place an object in orbit?  If it can, why not use them to help
> clear out the back log of satellites waiting to launch?
>
> Just a wild thought...

I'm certainly no expert, nor do I claim to be, but I seem to recall that
the INF treaty calls for the destruction of the delivery systems.  However,
the nuclear warheads themselves are not to be destroyed, but may, in fact,
be reused on other non-banned delivery systems.  Oh well, it's a start.

> Marc Lesure / Arizona State University / Tempe, AZ
> "Between the world of men and make-believe, I can be found..."
> "False faces and meaningless chases, I travel alone..."
> "And where do you go when you come to the end of your dream?"
>
> UUCP:                ...!ncar!noao!asuvax!lesure
> Internet/CSNET/ARPA: lesure@asuvax.asu.edu
> ----------

David B. Mears
Hewlett-Packard
Cupertino CA
hplabs!hpda!mears

In article <364@asuvax.UUCP> system@asuvax.UUCP (Marc Lesure) writes:
>With the recent passage of the INF tready, I was wondering if it would be
>possible to destroy the warheads and recycle the delivery systems to be
>used as a low level satellite launch system?

No.  The treaty requires destruction of all affected missiles in a rather
limited time by carefully-specified methods; use as space launchers is not
among them.

>... However, can't the Titan class of
>launch system place an object in orbit?

Yes, but the Titans are ICBMs and have nothing to do with the INF treaty.
(In any case, the last fifty or so military Titans are all now in storage
pending conversion to space launchers -- for USAF payloads, since the USAF
owns them -- already.)  The missiles banned by the INF agreement are a bit
small for space launchers.

One can hope that the forthcoming (we hope) treaty on reduction of strategic
missiles provides for conversion to space launchers.  The trouble is, though,
that in such a treaty one wants to be sure the missiles are *really gone*
and will not be put back into service as soon as your back is turned.  The
Soviets could use up missiles as launchers relatively quickly, but the US
is not prepared for the high launch rate that would be needed.
--
NASA is into artificial        |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
stupidity.  - Jerry Pournelle  | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (09/30/88)

In article <1988Sep27.175719.16972@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> One can hope that the forthcoming (we hope) treaty on reduction of strategic
> missiles provides for conversion to space launchers.  The trouble is, though,
> that in such a treaty one wants to be sure the missiles are *really gone*
> and will not be put back into service as soon as your back is turned.  The
> Soviets could use up missiles as launchers relatively quickly, but the US
> is not prepared for the high launch rate that would be needed.

What an opportunity to lobby for a LEGO space station! "If you get rid of
these missiles you get a free permanant space platform". Well, not free maybe,
but ultra-cheap delivery to orbit.
--
		Peter da Silva  `-_-'  peter@sugar.uu.net
		 Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?

mph@rover.UUCP (Mark Huth) (10/04/88)

In article <6332@spool.cs.wisc.edu| hollings@rocky.CS.WISC.EDU (Jeff Hollingsworth) writes:
|In article <364@asuvax.UUCP> system@asuvax.UUCP (Marc Lesure) writes:
|>With the recent passage of the INF tready, I was wondering if it would be
|>possible to destroy the warheads and recycle the delivery systems to be
|>used as a low level satellite launch system?  I don't know the details of
|
|Good idea, except the conditions of the INF tready call for the dectruction
|of the delivery systems, NOT the missiles.  Each side can do anything they
|want with the warheads!  Also the onsite inspection involves inspecting
|the plants to make sure both sides are not building new rockets of the same
|class.  So we can't even reuse the technology.

Seems to me that what happens to a non-reuseable launch vehicle is that it is
destroyed when it re-enters.  There may be restrictions one how launch vehicles
are destroyed, but the simple requirement that they be destroyed is met by
a launch and re-entry.

Mark Huth

news@afit-ab.arpa (News System Account) (10/06/88)

In article <364@asuvax.UUCP> system@asuvax.UUCP (Marc Lesure) writes:
>With the recent passage of the INF tready, I was wondering if it would be
>possible to destroy the warheads and recycle the delivery systems to be
>used as a low level satellite launch system?

Funny, you should ask.  This month's Air Force magazine quotes the general
in charge of ballistic missle development (the BMO at Norton AFB) as saying
the AF isn't allowed to use the old INF launchers for testing.  Apparently,
we're running out of old Miniteman I's to use for test purposes.

Mike
mproicou@afit-ab.arpa
Mike Priocou
mproicou@galaxy.afit.af.mil	<- Preferred(?) Form
mproicou@afit-ab.arpa		<- Most Likely to Work?
									Go Figure!

vin@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG (Vincent E. Erickson) (10/20/88)

If you really want to discuss the failure of a policy like the INF
treaty, look to the fact that if the Reagon administration hadn't
deployed these missles in the first place, they wouldn't have needed a
treaty to remove them! We are basically at the same place we were 8
years ago; thousands of warheads, no place to run. If we had been
brave enough to have the nuclear freeze which Mr. Bush is so proud to
bash on today, he and Mr. Reagon could have signed a treaty
eliminating some REAL missles, not just clean up a couple of missles
which mattered nothing to either side anyways.

In article <1072@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG> vin@meccsd.UUCP (Vincent E. Erickson) writes:
>If you really want to discuss the failure of a policy like the INF
>treaty, look to the fact that if the Reagon administration hadn't
>deployed these missles in the first place, they wouldn't have needed a
>treaty to remove them! ...

Uh, don't forget that the Soviets are scrapping a few missiles as part
of the INF treaty too...
--
The dream *IS* alive...         |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
but not at NASA.                |uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (10/30/88)

In article <1988Oct24.181744.17664@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) replies:
> Uh, don't forget that the Soviets are scrapping a few missiles as part
> of the INF treaty too...

One thing to keep in mind is that you cannot bargain missiles for
"almost missiles."  I.e., the Russians are not about to accept "if you
destroy 200 SS-20s, we won't build the Small ICBM."  Destroying
missiles unilaterally is not too smart either.  After WWI, most of
Europe thought they had Germany beat forever, and disarmed themselves
"to insure continued peace" or some such silly idea.  You know the
outcome of these acts of idiocy - Hitlers armies rolled right over most
of Europe without significant resisitance.  "Peace through strength" is
the only option that has ever worked, and even then peace is VERY
transitory.

--
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

"How come he didn't put `I think' at the end of it?" - James P. Hogan