[sci.space.shuttle] TDRS-C means never having to say LOS?

tneff@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Neff) (09/30/88)

I know the TDRS network is supposed to provide continuous communication
with a lot of non-GEO satellites, and I also know that we get partial
air-to-ground coverage on Shuttle flights right now from the one TDRS
successfully deployed before STS-26.  As I write this, it appears Discovery
is deploying TDRS-C nominally.  Assuming the IUS works and the second
TDRS is parked and activated, will we henceforth have continuous downlink
during Shuttle missions from now on?  Or will the "LOS Guam, AOS Hawaii
in 6" game continue until we have three birds up there?

Second question - the early diagrams had an equilateral triangle of
TDRS coverage taking care of satellite and spacecraft comm.  But lately
I hear that when TDRS-D is deployed, TDRS-A will be parked as a hot
spare while C or D assumes its duties.  Are we still aiming for three
live birds at some point, or are we resigned to antipodal coverage?
--
Tom Neff			UUCP: ...!cmcl2!phri!dasys1!tneff
	"None of your toys	CIS: 76556,2536	       MCI: TNEFF

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (09/30/88)

NASA has been officially saying that two operational TDRSs get about 85%
coverage of shuttle flights.  It depends partly on the inclination of the
orbit.  I understand that the figure is closer to 90%.  Part of the
problem is the "South Atlantic Anomaly":  an area of magnetic disturbance
that makes communication difficult.  But with two TDRS satellites, LOS
will be greatly reduced and almost eliminated.  The flight controllers
take this as a mixed blessing:  they usually take their bathroom breaks
during LOS.

The configuration NASA is shooting for is to have C and D fully
operational on opposite sides of the globe and have A lingering around as
a spare.  Three satellites are not needed for full coverage.  And I think
that using a configuration of three in a triangle will not get any
additional coverage that two opposing ones would not get.  That is my
limited and basic understanding.

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>

jetzer@studsys.mu.edu (jetzer) (10/01/88)

In article <6732@dasys1.UUCP>, tneff@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Neff) writes:
> I know the TDRS network is supposed to provide continuous communication
> with a lot of non-GEO satellites, and I also know that we get partial
> air-to-ground coverage on Shuttle flights right now from the one TDRS
> successfully deployed before STS-26.  As I write this, it appears Discovery
> is deploying TDRS-C nominally.  Assuming the IUS works and the second
> TDRS is parked and activated, will we henceforth have continuous downlink
> during Shuttle missions from now on?  Or will the "LOS Guam, AOS Hawaii
> in 6" game continue until we have three birds up there?

> Second question - the early diagrams had an equilateral triangle of
> TDRS coverage taking care of satellite and spacecraft comm.  But lately
> I hear that when TDRS-D is deployed, TDRS-A will be parked as a hot
> spare while C or D assumes its duties.  Are we still aiming for three
> live birds at some point, or are we resigned to antipodal coverage?

The October issue of Countdown magazine has an article about TDRS in it.
There is a diagram of the expected placement of TDRS-1 and TDRS-2 (called
TDRS-C until it's in orbit).

Imagine that there is a large square around the earth, with the earth at the
center.  The two TDRSs are at adjacent corners of the square.  Because of
this, there will still be "about 15 percent" of the shuttle's orbit will
be "in the shadow" and not covered by the TDRSs.

Two ground stations have already been closed, and six more will be closed
"once there are two fully operations TDRS satellites on orbit.  'Operational'
in this sense does not include TDRS-1."  So it does seems that TDRS-1 will be
a "hot spare" once TDRS-3 comes online.   TDRS-D was slated for launch during
STS-29 on January 19, 1989, but that date has apparently slipped.

No information concerning the relative locations of TDRS-D, -E, or -F was
given.
--
Mike Jetzer
"Hack first, ask questions later."

tneff@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Neff) (10/02/88)

My thanks to William LeFebvre for those answers on the 2-TDRS network.
The other remaining interesting question is: will TDRS-C and -D be able
to see each other as well as the ground?  If so, would that be useful?
--

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (10/02/88)

In article <6761@dasys1.UUCP> tneff@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Neff) writes:
>My thanks to William LeFebvre for those answers on the 2-TDRS network.

You're welcome.

>The other remaining interesting question is: will TDRS-C and -D be able
>to see each other as well as the ground?  If so, would that be useful?

If I understand things correctly, the answer is "no".  They will be in
opposing orbits.  They will both, however, be able to see TDRS-A.  I can't
really see much use for it anyway.  In just about any orbit imaginable,
you can point your antenna at one of the two and that is sufficient.  An
interesting question (and one that I just now thought about):  what do you
do when you are switching over from one TDRS to the other?  You typically
only have one antenna per band, so I guess there would be a small period
of LOS (loss of signal) while the antenna gets realigned.

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>

karn@thumper.bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) (10/06/88)

The South Atlantic Anomaly has absolutely nothing to do with TDRS
coverage. It is simply a region of the Van Allen belts that comes
somewhat closer to the earth's surface (i.e., down to low earth orbit)
due to the orientation of the earth's magnetic field.  Most of the
radiation encountered by low orbit spacecraft is in this region. (The
soft memory errors seen by the UoSAT-OSCAR spacecraft have largely been
in this region).

The gap in TDRS coverage is due to simple geometry: for both satellites
to be visible from White Sands at reasonable elevation angles, a region
near India had to be left uncovered.

Phil

MorsinAc@econ.vu.nl (Triple A) (10/28/88)

In article <1934@kalliope.rice.edu>, phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:
> The configuration NASA is shooting for is to have C and D fully
> operational on opposite sides of the globe and have A lingering around as
> a spare.  Three satellites are not needed for full coverage.

That was about it for TDRS-C/D, but when checking the launch schedule,
I discovered they planned to get some more TDRS's up there (TDRS-E/F).
So my question is, what are they supposed to do if we already got two
fully operational ones (and a spare) up there? Are they to replace the
old ones or what?

                     A. Morsink - Vrije Universiteit/Free University
                                  AMSTERDAM (yes it's in Holland)

johnl@gronk.UUCP (John Limpert) (10/31/88)

In article <233@vuecon.econ.vu.nl> MorsinAc@econ.vu.nl (Triple A) writes:
>In article <1934@kalliope.rice.edu>, phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:
>That was about it for TDRS-C/D, but when checking the launch schedule,
>I discovered they planned to get some more TDRS's up there (TDRS-E/F).
>So my question is, what are they supposed to do if we already got two
>fully operational ones (and a spare) up there? Are they to replace the
>old ones or what?

We don't have two fully operational spacecraft and a spare.  TDRS-A is not
"fully" operational.  I'm not sure what the problems are, but it is
definitely not 100% operational.  TDRS-B was lost in the Challenger
accident.  TDRS-C is in the process of being moved to its operational
location and is in a test phase.  So that adds up to one semi-crippled
TDRS and one soon to be operational TDRS.  Two more 100% operational
satellites are needed for the desired configuration of TDRS East, TDRS West
and an in-orbit spare.  I believe the original plan was to have 4 spacecraft
in orbit, 3 operational and 1 spare.

--
John Limpert		johnl@gronk.UUCP	uunet!n3dmc!gronk!johnl

In article <233@vuecon.econ.vu.nl> MorsinAc@econ.vu.nl (Triple A) writes:
>That was about it for TDRS-C/D, but when checking the launch schedule,
>I discovered they planned to get some more TDRS's up there (TDRS-E/F).
>So my question is, what are they supposed to do if we already got two
>fully operational ones (and a spare) up there? ...

Well, for one thing, TDRS-A doesn't make a really great spare, it's not
in terribly good shape.  When you're relying on these things heavily,
you may want a fully-functional on-orbit spare.

Then too, the 2+1 configuration doesn't really give quite 100% coverage,
the way they've planned to set it up.

And finally, when you get really high data rates going, the capacity of
any one TDRS is limited; I think one TDRS can only hack two high-speed
customers at a time.  Between the shuttle, the Great Observatories line
(starting with Hubble), and the hypothetical space station, that's not
a trivial limitation.
--
The dream *IS* alive...         |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
but not at NASA.                |uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (11/01/88)

In article <233@vuecon.econ.vu.nl> MorsinAc@econ.vu.nl (Triple A) writes:
>That was about it for TDRS-C/D, but when checking the launch schedule,
>I discovered they planned to get some more TDRS's up there (TDRS-E/F).
>So my question is, what are they supposed to do if we already got two
>fully operational ones (and a spare) up there? Are they to replace the
>old ones or what?

Well, TDRS is used by more than just the shuttle.  It is a (more or less)
general purpose data relay satellite for equipment that needs such
relaying.  My understanding is that E and F are going to be put up for
several reasons, including extra throughput (for users other than the
shuttle) and extra redundancy.  A is pretty much shot at this point.  I
have heard that in at least some of the hardware all redundancy has been
lost.  I don't know what they'll do with it in the long term, especially
if it loses all functionality.  I also don't know where they are going to
put E and F.