[sci.space.shuttle] New BURAN launch date

wats@scicom.alphacdc.com (Bruce Watson) (11/04/88)

Several postings have mentioned a new launch date for BURAN of
soon after Revolution Day Nov 7.  Did I miss this one?
On Halloween CNN reported that the next attempt would be no
sooner than 20 days putting it in the third week of Nov.
In any case they cannot launch in daylight if they w`ant
MIR overhead.

urjlew@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Rostyk Lewyckyj) (11/06/88)

Completely non technical & highly political!

Which launch date should the Soviets choose for the maximum
political benefit from the event?
Should they choose a date likely to produce a low news profile
so that the US would be unlikely to increase its space effort,
and thus they could build up their lead?
Or should they try for a high profile date close after the US
elections in order to pose a problem for the president elect
before he is securely enthroned?

riley@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Christian Riley) (11/06/88)

Of course they will choose a date to maximize the embarassment to the US. Thus
it will be a date that will both maximize exposure and embarass the
President-elect.  It will show how clearly superior they are in space flight
and how little the Presidnet can do about it.  Even though both major
candidates have expressed support of NASA, in my opinion, it is just campaign
politics. :(

Either the govt needs to support NASA 100% or get out of the way.

"Free scientific inquiry?  The first adjective is redundant."
"The poor don't have the right to steal, and they don't have the right to
 have Congress steal for them." - Ron Paul
Chris Riley
riley@cs.ucsd.edu

hogg@db.toronto.edu (John Hogg) (11/07/88)

In article <5493@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU> riley@beowulf.UCSD.EDU (Christian Riley) writes:
> Of course [the Soviets] will choose a date [for Buran's Launch] to
> maximize the embarassment to the US. Thus it will be a date that will
> both maximize exposure and embarass the President-elect.  It will show
> how clearly superior they are in space flight and how little the
> President can do about it...

And did NASA chose a date for the launch of Discovery (and before
that, the launch of Columbia) to maximize the embarrassment to the
USSR?  From all reports, the techies over there have been explicitly
told to run their operation their own way and get it right.  The
political masters are not micro-managing.  Intrusion of this sort would
in any case have manifested itself differently: Buran would have been
flying today (November 7) as a show of Soviet capability on the
anniversary of their revolution.  That would score points at home,
and also abroad.

The Soviets have designed and built their own shuttle and heavylift
system, with their own strengths and problems.  Why is it so hard to
believe that they will test these on their own schedule?
--
John Hogg			   | hogg@csri.toronto.{edu,cdn}
Computer Systems Research Institute| uunet!csri.toronto.edu!hogg

urjlew@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Rostyk Lewyckyj) (11/09/88)

In article <8811071608.AA16799@ois.db.toronto.edu>, hogg@db.toronto.edu (John Hogg) writes:
% In article <5493@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU> riley@beowulf.UCSD.EDU (Christian Riley) writes:
% > Of course [the Soviets] will choose a date [for Buran's Launch] to
% > maximize the embarassment to the US. Thus it will be a date that will
% > both maximize exposure and embarass the President-elect.  It will show
% > how clearly superior they are in space flight and how little the
% > President can do about it...
%
% And did NASA chose a date for the launch of Discovery (and before
% that, the launch of Columbia) to maximize the embarrassment to the
% USSR?  From all reports, the techies over there have been explicitly
% told to run their operation their own way and get it right.  The
% political masters are not micro-managing.  Intrusion of this sort would
% in any case have manifested itself differently: Buran would have been
% flying today (November 7) as a show of Soviet capability on the
% anniversary of their revolution.  That would score points at home,
% and also abroad.
%
% The Soviets have designed and built their own shuttle and heavylift
% system, with their own strengths and problems.  Why is it so hard to
% believe that they will test these on their own schedule?

O.k. so what's your point?
In the U.S., for now, the politicians are most wary of trying
to get publicity from the shuttle launches. They got some real
bad press from being a contributing cause to the shuttle disaster
The soviet leadership does not have this problem just now,
and they are no less politicians than U.S. politicians.
You are right that, to the extent, that if this were a manned
shuttle launch, they would have loved to have it up on Nov 7.
However for them its just an unmanned hardware test flight
which only has p.r. significance w.r.t the U.S., because of the
sorry state of the U.S. space program. So only external politics
is concerned. My original question was and is. Which would the
Soviets consider more important, embarass the president elect
risking a stepped up U.S. space program (after all pride and
machismo are at stake), or lay low and work as hard as you can
to gain greater superiority?