[sci.space.shuttle] Manned Maneuvering Units

cfb@siesoft (cfb) (11/01/88)

Hello all,

This is just a quick question.   Does anyone out there know if NASA still
intends to use the MANNED MANEUVERING UNITS, or are they regarded now as
un-needed risk?   I know that there are now a number of things which are not
regarded as a good idea any more, like landing regularly at KSC.   Thus the
motivation for this question.

Cheers all,

Chris F. Broadbent		...!mcvax!ukc!siesoft!cfb
				<cfb@siesoft.uucp>

"I am certain we shall soon be hearing a human voice coming from space -
and that it will have an unmistakable Russian accent."
Werhner von Braun speaking to a Congressional Commitee on Space - Nov. 1959.

Addresses:	email - ...!mcvax!ukc!siesoft!cfb
			<cfb@siesoft.uucp>

		snail - (W)  Siemens Ltd.
			     Woodley House
			     65-73 Crockhamwell Rd.
			     Woodley, Reading
			     Berks. RG5 3JP
			     England

		Phone (W) **44 - 734 - 443 044

In article <1030@argon.siesoft> cfb@siesoft.UUCP () writes:
>... Does anyone out there know if NASA still
>intends to use the MANNED MANEUVERING UNITS, or are they regarded now as
>un-needed risk? ...

As far as I know, nobody's ever suggested that the MMUs are a particular
risk or that their jobs could be done in other ways.
--
The Earth is our mother.        |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
Our nine months are up.         |uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

alastair@geovision.uucp (Alastair Mayer) (11/10/88)

In article <1988Nov3.184834.28614@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <1030@argon.siesoft> cfb@siesoft.UUCP () writes:
>>... Does anyone out there know if NASA still
>>intends to use the MANNED MANEUVERING UNITS, or are they regarded now as
>>un-needed risk? ...
>
>As far as I know, nobody's ever suggested that the MMUs are a particular
>risk or that their jobs could be done in other ways.
>--
>The Earth is our mother.        |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
>Our nine months are up.         |uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

The MMUs have, however, been put into storage for the indefinite future.
There aren't any missions planned within the next few years that require
them.
  The MMU simulator at Martin-Marietta Denver may also have been put in
mothballs (Martin made the MMUs), but I'd have to check my sources to
be sure of that.
  But, is there anything that can be done with an MMU that can't be done
with the Canadarm - or an astronaut on a 'cherry-picker' on the end of
the arm?  (Hey, I think it's a useful piece of hardware to have in the
inventory, but NASA doesn't have any missions for it right now).
--
"The problem is not that spaceflight is expensive,  | Alastair J.W. Mayer
therefore only the government can do it, but that   | alastair@geovision.UUCP