[sci.space.shuttle] Shuttle launch prediction

mmeyer@mips.csc.ti.com (Mark Meyer) (11/09/88)

	I have a number of predictions that were made by a psychic
earlier this year, and I'm working on evaluating them.  One of the few
:-) that look like hits is: "The space shuttle will fly two times
before year's end."  This prediction was made on January 6.  What I'd
like to know is, is this hit significant?  What was the launch
schedule for 1988 like in January?  Two launches?  More or fewer?
Please E-mail your responses, and I'll summarize.  I might post the
results of all the predictions eventually in the appropriate
newsgroups.  Atdhvaannkcse.
--
Mark Meyer          USENET: {ut-sally!im4u,convex!smu,sun!texsun}!ti-csl!mmeyer
Texas Instruments, Inc.                                   CSNET : mmeyer@TI-CSL

jetzer@studsys.mu.edu (jetzer) (11/15/88)

In article <63043@ti-csl.CSNET>, mmeyer@mips.csc.ti.com (Mark Meyer) writes:
> 	I have a number of predictions that were made by a psychic
> earlier this year, and I'm working on evaluating them.  One of the few
> :-) that look like hits is: "The space shuttle will fly two times
> before year's end."  This prediction was made on January 6.  What I'd
> like to know is, is this hit significant?  What was the launch
> schedule for 1988 like in January?  Two launches?  More or fewer?

Tried to send mail, but it bounced...

Consulting the Dec 87 issue of *Countdown* magazine, there is a schedule for
shuttle launches through 1990.  It lists STS-26 (Discovery) for a 6/2/88
launch date, STS-27 (Atlantis) for a 9/8/88 launch, and STS-28 (Columbi) for
a 12/1/88 launch.  (No mention of a launch schedule in either the Jan 88 or
Feb 88 issues.)

This was the "official" schedule from NASA.  The issue also told of some
probable sources of delay, and that a June 2 launch was pretty optimistic.
Anyone with 1/2 a brain could realize that we were only going to get two
off the ground this year :-).

--
Mike Jetzer
"Hack first, ask questions later."