[sci.space.shuttle] The dream

GRV101@PSUVM.BITNET (11/16/88)

The dream is alive and was in orbit this morning.
Go ahead and flame me if you wish, but deep in your hearts you know it is true.

                                         Gregson Vaux

P.S. Apologies to Henry Spencer

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (11/16/88)

In article <61672GRV101@PSUVM> GRV101@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
>The dream is alive and was in orbit this morning.
>Go ahead and flame me if you wish, but deep in your hearts you know it is true.

It was also in orbit last month.  And will be again at the end of this
month (although this next time it will be surrounded by a thick cloud of
smoke).  And it will probably be in orbit again early next year.  Let's
hear it for progress!...regardless of the country that's paying for it.

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>

ugthomps@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Gregory Thompson) (11/17/88)

I've been somewhat distressed at recent posts concerning
"The dream".

Henry;s signature brings out an opinion of his that the dream
is not alive at NASA.  However, he does not say that it is
*only* alive at Baikonor (sp?) and their other two sites.

I'm not about to rehash what has been said about the signature.
What  I would, however, like to bring to the foreground is this:

Yes, the dream is alive at baiknoour.  But it is also alive at
many other places around  the world.  There are conceived missions
of incredible cost that no one is willing to touch because of
this cost.  Only through a cooperative effort will these "dreams"
ever be accomplished.

I think everyone (or most of you at least) realises that we as a human
race must cooperate more in the future if we are even to begin to
think of our existence in the 22nd century.  If every nation has to
reinvent the wheel politically, economically, environmentally, etc
this race will perish.

The possibility of Soviet-American-Sino-Euro cooperation in space
is a real one.  For example, the recent trade of data on Venus.
The possibility of american cooperation in the soviet mission to
mars is at the very least a reality.  If we were to extend these
areas of cooperation into a more comprehensive effort towards keeping
man in space and expanding our horizons in space, we would probably
find a far greater modicum of success than Mir, Soyuz, Buran, Atlantis,
or Apollo was ever able to find or will ever find.

Talking about Soviets-vs-Americans in space brings the image of
two dogs chasing each other around a tree.  It is argueing over
and over again a useless point.

"Our governments are at war, not us" - (from a scene in 2010).
Pro-american/Anti-soviet propaganda and vice versa in Russia
are great for getting the masses to respond to the government's
wishes.  It is high time the masses learned better.  Would you
kill a Russian if s/he sat at your dinner table?

International negative oriented competition will crush the human
race before the year 2100.  Internatioal cooperation will allow
humans to achieve what nobody dreams possible now.

Applause to all the fledgling space programs now in operation.
There are none that are not fledgling.  It will stay that way
without international cooperation.  But applause still, since
someone out there has the capability to dream.

But, they have not yet begun to really dream.

[I think this soapbox is beginning to look a little used...
  what do you think?]

                 - G
                   ugthomps@sunybcs.cs.buffalo.edu

csvon@mtsu.UUCP (von hall) (11/19/88)

In article <61672GRV101@PSUVM>, GRV101@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
> The dream is alive and was in orbit this morning.
> Go ahead and flame me if you wish, but deep in your hearts you know it is true.
>
>                                          Gregson Vaux
>
> P.S. Apologies to Henry Spencer

A flaming you want? A flaming You'll get.

	The dream eh... well I guess it was a dream that was finally
realized.  That is for the Soviets look around if it weren't for the
Challenger setback there would be no contest (if there even is one in
the first place).  Sure I applaude the Soviet Shuttle but there's a
difference in applauding and insulting.  The letter above is only an
insult, that is to anybody that cares anything about the dream that
N.A.S.A. is talking about.  The Soviets realized a great dream it's true
but there was abosolutely no call for that type of comment.  The
American dream is alive and well.  If you have any objection to that
maybe you should subscribe to the anti.american.shuttle newsgroup.

Disclaimer:  To anyone this offended I apologize.  And I'm also sorry
for using network time in this manner.....I felt it necessary.

P.S. Why apologize Gregson, were we all wrong???

					Von Hall
				MTSU Computer Science
			      Middle Tennessee State University

Sure The Dream is :
Alive... In any   :
American who      :
cares...Do You?   :
Gregson???????    :

jwm@stdc.jhuapl.edu (Jim Meritt) (11/21/88)

dream scheme.  Who cares?

We have been dreaming since Jules Verne. BFHD.

Now, pedal to the medal COUNTS!!!!