[sci.space.shuttle] New Topic

pv04+@andrew.cmu.edu (Philip Verdieck) (11/19/88)

While we sit back, discussing the space shuttles, and in particular
when will our be up, and how often, there is one totally ignored
topic so far. How many more time can we do it. Not because of mechanical
problems, but a limit on supplies.

Do you realize that as things stand NASA has only supplies for 20 more
launches?

A week or two ago a critical booster supplier went out of business.
A West Virginia chemical/plastic/whatever firm that bellied up is
the ONLY SUPPLIER OF RAYON!!!

I think that is the term. What I am referring to is a critical part of
the boosters nozzle, or something. Due to economic and environmental
problems this firmed sucked suds in early November. They are the sole
supplier of this needed component.

Now this is a topic for conversation....

klr@hadron.UUCP (Kurt L. Reisler) (11/21/88)

In article <wXVDwhF88k-0En81cN@andrew.cmu.edu> pv04+@andrew.cmu.edu (Philip Verdieck) writes:

>Do you realize that as things stand NASA has only supplies for 20 more
>launches?
>
>A week or two ago a critical booster supplier went out of business.
>A West Virginia chemical/plastic/whatever firm that bellied up is
>the ONLY SUPPLIER OF RAYON!!!
>
>I think that is the term. What I am referring to is a critical part of
>the boosters nozzle, or something. Due to economic and environmental
>problems this firmed sucked suds in early November. They are the sole
>supplier of this needed component.
>
>Now this is a topic for conversation....

Not really.

Avtech (probably misspelled) is located in Winchester Virginia, not West
Virginia, and has been back in business for the past two weeks.  Seems
that when the shuttle program went on hold, NASA canned the contracts to
purchase the rayon that is used for the shuttle engines.  Avtech is the
ONLY supplier in the US.  Avtech did shut down for about a week.  The
resulting fast shuffle and finger pointing did result in 2 large
contracts (one from NASA and one from the DoD) which will keep Avtech
running (and polluting) for the next few years.

It is interesting that this was allowed to happen at all.

Kurt Reisler (703) 359-6100
UNISIG Chairman, DECUS US Chapter                       | Hadron, Inc.
..{uunet|sundc|rlgvax|netxcom|decuac}!hadron!klr        | 9990 Lee Highway
Sysop, Fido 109/74  The Bear's Den   (703) 671-0598     | Suite 481
Sysop, Fido 109/483 The Pot of Gold  (703) 359-6549     | Fairfax, VA 22030

gl8f@bessel.acc.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) (11/22/88)

In article <804@hadron.UUCP> klr@hadron.UUCP (Kurt L. Reisler) writes:
> [...]
>Avtech (probably misspelled) is located in Winchester Virginia, not West
>Virginia, and has been back in business for the past two weeks.  Seems
>that when the shuttle program went on hold, NASA canned the contracts to
>purchase the rayon that is used for the shuttle engines.  Avtech is the
>ONLY supplier in the US.  Avtech did shut down for about a week.  The
>resulting fast shuffle and finger pointing did result in 2 large
>contracts (one from NASA and one from the DoD) which will keep Avtech
>running (and polluting) for the next few years.
>
>It is interesting that this was allowed to happen at all.

NASA only buys a tiny fraction of the plant's total output. The agreement
is that the company is going to run off a several year's supply for
NASA, and if they go belly up NASA owns the technology to make the
necessary stuff and can get somebody else to do it.

It happened in the first place because the company is apparently managed
horribly. NASA did the right thing by making sure they have the technology
and can arrange second-sourcing.

-- greg

----------
Greg Lindahl                                    internet:  gl8f@virginia.edu
University of Virginia Department of Astronomy    bitnet:  gl8f@virginia.bitnet
"grad students don't need disclaimers; the department doesn't care what I think"

mears@hpindda.HP.COM (David B. Mears) (11/22/88)

> / hpindda:sci.space.shuttle / pv04+@andrew.cmu.edu (Philip Verdieck) /  8:57 pm  Nov 18, 1988 /
>
> While we sit back, discussing the space shuttles, and in particular
> when will our be up, and how often, there is one totally ignored
> topic so far. How many more time can we do it. Not because of mechanical
> problems, but a limit on supplies.
>
> Do you realize that as things stand NASA has only supplies for 20 more
> launches?
>
> A week or two ago a critical booster supplier went out of business.
> A West Virginia chemical/plastic/whatever firm that bellied up is
> the ONLY SUPPLIER OF RAYON!!!
>
> I think that is the term. What I am referring to is a critical part of
> the boosters nozzle, or something. Due to economic and environmental
> problems this firmed sucked suds in early November. They are the sole
> supplier of this needed component.
>
> Now this is a topic for conversation....
> ----------

I had thought it was more than two weeks ago that the company suddenly
and inexplicably went out of business.  I also remember reading within
the last couple of weeks that the company, just as suddenly and
inexplicably, decided to go back into business again.  The whole thing
seems rather strange that we haven't heard any more about a situation
that puts the continuance of the US space program in jeopardy.

Or do you have any later information than what I've retold here?

David B. Mears
Hewlett-Packard
Cupertino CA
hplabs!hpda!mears